Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Economy > Finance and Investment

Finance and Investment Formerly the Vault, this is our NO POLITICS zone for discussing our money and investments.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #76
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

If your TV provider offers them, you might check out Bloomberg TV and Fox Business Channel. I especially like Stuart Varney's show in the morning on FBC. Either of these is far better than CNBC.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #77
Dietrich
Niche player

Dow finishes -519. Now at its lowest level in 2 years.

Year to date return on S&P500: -11%.
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #78
penguinzee
Not Indebted

Hackers stop trading on Hong Kong Exchange-Bloomberg

Was just reading also on ZH about how they nearly had to reset the trade counter on NASDAQ today (6 zones of ticker symbols, each allowing 99,000,000 quotes). If a trade counter is reset, then all previous trades on that counter are lost... imagine the mess that would make...

Franc (penguinzee)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #79
penguinzee
Not Indebted

Hearing rumors about Asian banks pulling their credit lines with French bank (presumably SocGen and Credit Agricole)...ZeroHedge

ZH is also reporting a possible short-selling ban across ALL Euro markets... boy and we thought we saw fireworks last weekend...

Boys and girls, we're watching a larger, grander version of 2008 unfold here... gonna be way too interesting this weekend... the train is off the tracks, now...

Franc (penguinzee)
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #80
leistb
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinzee View Post
Hearing rumors about Asian banks pulling their credit lines with French bank (presumably SocGen and Credit Agricole)...ZeroHedge

ZH is also reporting a possible short-selling ban across ALL Euro markets... boy and we thought we saw fireworks last weekend...

Boys and girls, we're watching a larger, grander version of 2008 unfold here... gonna be way too interesting this weekend... the train is off the tracks, now...

Franc (penguinzee)
Also interesting is Germany's Bild urging its readers to buy gold on their front page.

IMO, if only the short selling ban or the credit lines are cut it has the potential to cause a lot of pain. Implement them both and the deal is pretty well sealed.
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #81
Dietrich
Niche player

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44104680
Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #82
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Dow ends up 423 at 11,143. Gold down $14 to $1770.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #83
penguinzee
Not Indebted

Another up day in a down week... Dow stil down 300+ for the week, and I've got to say, the volatility is breath-taking. Which way tomorrow? Not sure, but I think we know how this kind of volatility ends...

Also, France, Italy, Spain and Belgium have all enacted short-selling bans, effective immediately... like that's going to work (for maybe half a day at best!). I think that was tried before, here in the US, in September 2008... I don't think it worked too well then either...

Franc (penguinzee)
Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #84
Dietrich
Niche player

And what will today bring? I'll go ahead and guess Dow -700 at the close.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #85
penguinzee
Not Indebted

I'll go with even, more or less, 100 points within Thursday's close...

Of course, next Monday is gonna be another wild ride... and Aug.26th is gonna be a real shaker (Jackson Hole speech, expiry of short-sale bans in Europe, and god-knows-what-else). The rats have bought themselves a couple weeks to get off their ship, they just need to find more bag-holders...

Franc (penguinzee)
Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #86
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Dow up 126. Gold down $3.

Tags
2011, august, tuesday, turmoil