Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Obama Agriculture Secretary: Food Stamps Create Jobs

Obama Agriculture Secretary: Food Stamps Create Jobs

Matt Cover
CNS News
Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack repeated the White House claim that food stamps and other forms of government welfare are stimulus programs in disguise, stating that when government gives out money, it is creating jobs.

“But I should point out that when you talk about the SNAP program or the food stamp program, you have to recognize that it’s also an economic stimulus,” Vilsack said Tuesday on MSNBC’s Morning Joe program. (SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.)

“If people are able to buy a little more in the grocery store, then someone has to stock it, shelve it, process it, package it, ship it,” he said. “All of those are jobs. It’s the most direct stimulus you can get in the economy during these tough times.”

Vilsack made his remarks in response to a question from MSNBC commentator Wes Moore about a recent Agriculture Department report that approximately 46 million people, or about 1 in 7 Americans, now receive food stamps.

Vilsack claimed that by redistributing money from taxpayers to those on food stamps, the government is indirectly creating jobs because welfare beneficiaries will spend their food stamp monies immediately, rather than save it or invest it.

This claim, however, obscures the fact that both saving and investment are also economically productive activities contributing to credit availability and business growth respectively. It also ignores the fact that taxpayers whose money is used to fund food stamp programs may have spent their money on other things, including food, thus also contributing to the economy.

* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
driveshesaid
Member Level 2

I want what he's smoking...

drive

The Revolution will be Hand Knit
driveshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,662 Times in 939 Posts
In general at what level of poverty do you become eligible for food stamps ?

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
In general at what level of poverty do you become eligible for food stamps ?

Washington State

Income and resource requirements:

Your Basic Food benefits are based on your family size and your family income. A family of three could have gross income of up to $3,052 per month and still be eligible for benefits.

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/onlinecso/foo..._program.shtml

eta: To me, $3,000/mo is nowhere near poverty. To some, it is.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Pablo Escobar
Senior Level 1

I can fix this.

The .gov currently sees the food stamp goal, not as a hunger preventers, but as a wealth transfer mechanism.

Change the goal, fix the problem.
Pablo Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

I can say that if you make around $800 a month and there's one person, you can qualify for $37.00 in food stamps. And that's with a $600 mortgage payment, $85 for gas & electric and $44 water each month.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
oldasrocks
Member Level 5

If its such a good deal he should provide us ALL with food stamps so us poor working stiffs could eat as well as the non workers and be more productive cause we are healhier. We might even be able to sell our food stamps to buy smokes as some do now and help the tobacco industry too. A few million dollars of food stamps have been spent on cruises also and poor working stiffs need a vacation soon as they are tired of working and supporting the rest of them.

I've seen a few carts of groceries paid for by food stamps and they eat a helleva lot better than I do.
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasrocks View Post
If its such a good deal he should provide us ALL with food stamps so us poor working stiffs could eat as well as the non workers and be more productive cause we are healhier. We might even be able to sell our food stamps to buy smokes as some do now and help the tobacco industry too. A few million dollars of food stamps have been spent on cruises also and poor working stiffs need a vacation soon as they are tired of working and supporting the rest of them.

I've seen a few carts of groceries paid for by food stamps and they eat a helleva lot better than I do.
How can someone eat better than you on $37 a month? Since I'm unemployed right now I did sign up for food stamps and that's what I get, $37.00 a month. I live on cereal, bananas and rice. I eat my cereal dry because I can't afford milk, when I have extra money I stock up on dehydrated items for the pantry and canned veggies. We seldom have meat.

There maybe people out there that are cheating some how and getting more food stamps than they deserve but no one I know can afford to do that. You get caught and you have to pay back everything after you get out of jail.

Don't tell me to watch my finances or that I didn't plan well, crap happens and sometimes the best plans fall apart. And don't tell me that if I get rid of the internet I could afford more or put away more. I pay a small amount to have it added to my phone andthe amount I pay isn't enough to makes a difference.

Tags
agriculture, create, food, jobs, obama, secretary, stamps