Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Economy

Economy Economy discussion forum. Discuss the politics and effects of the general economy and global economic collapse here. Please keep all politics out of the Finance and Investment subforum.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Donation shortfall threatens school supplies charity

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...128/story.html
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Coyote
Senior Level 2

So why the lack of donations? Seems a city of more than 800,000 should be able to help out 1,500 kids pretty easily.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Why the lack of donations? Because people are tired of paying for other people's kids, while they bust their asses to pay for their own.

Kids don't need everything new every year. What about last year's backpack, binder, calculator, ruler. Buy paper, pencils, erasers? Sure. Need new gym shoes because the kid grew? Go to Wallyworld...they're cheap. They don't need Reeboks or Nikes if you can't afford them. I busted my ass to see that we could afford back to school stuff for years, while those with same aged kids on welfare down the street littered the street with their kids new bikes, toys, and watched all their purchased DVDs. Maybe if their kids don't have everything my kids have, they'll go get a job, and not follow in their parents' footsteps. Which reminds me...four kids in our neighbourhood have multiple flyer/ newspaper routes (mine has 1 paper and 2 flyer routes). ALL of them are in the section of the neighbourhood that WORKS, not the welfare end. My DD is 13, can't get a job elsewhere yet (but is chomping at the bit), but makes more than $60 a month with her deliveries. At $720 a year, that would more than cover her back to school supplies, clothes, and leave some spending money. When she got her flyer route it was huge, and they broke it into 4 routes. She kept two, and had a hell of a time finding someone to take the other two. None of the welfare kids wanted it. Let their parents save for their damned supplies.

Passing something to see what's in it is usually called a stool sample.-Internet comment
rb. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,463 Times in 927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
Why the lack of donations? Because people are tired of paying for other people's kids, while they bust their asses to pay for their own.

Kids don't need everything new every year. What about last year's backpack, binder, calculator, ruler. Buy paper, pencils, erasers? Sure. Need new gym shoes because the kid grew? Go to Wallyworld...they're cheap. They don't need Reeboks or Nikes if you can't afford them. I busted my ass to see that we could afford back to school stuff for years, while those with same aged kids on welfare down the street littered the street with their kids new bikes, toys, and watched all their purchased DVDs. Maybe if their kids don't have everything my kids have, they'll go get a job, and not follow in their parents' footsteps. Which reminds me...four kids in our neighbourhood have multiple flyer/ newspaper routes (mine has 1 paper and 2 flyer routes). ALL of them are in the section of the neighbourhood that WORKS, not the welfare end. My DD is 13, can't get a job elsewhere yet (but is chomping at the bit), but makes more than $60 a month with her deliveries. At $720 a year, that would more than cover her back to school supplies, clothes, and leave some spending money. When she got her flyer route it was huge, and they broke it into 4 routes. She kept two, and had a hell of a time finding someone to take the other two. None of the welfare kids wanted it. Let their parents save for their damned supplies.

WOW

It does get disheartening to see some families take donations but they have money for X-Box, cell phones for the kids, high end athletic shoes, and the parents enjoy beer, cigarettes, and drugs.

The "Christmas Tree" rules around here had to be changed for this year. (Family who meet certain financial criteria can apply and each kid gets 3 wishes. Someone gets the names and fills them.)

Last year, it was the rage for each of the kids to ask for a notebook computer, iPad, etc.

That is EACH OF THE KIDS IN THE FAMILY.

What family in such a condition needs 2-3 notebooks, one for each of the kids?

To pawn? To sell for cash?

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
rb.

Yeah. Cellphones. All the welfare kids, in the SUSIDIZED housing down the street, have cellphones. And not just cellphones, SMARTPHONES. !!!

Passing something to see what's in it is usually called a stool sample.-Internet comment
Old 09-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
rb.

Adding...

I may be a bit prickly today as I was asked to drive to the far end of town to drive a welfare kid to the school orientation at 9am this morning. Mother couldn't be bothered to hand the kid the money for the bus to get here to go. I was nice and gave her a ride home, but I'm not dragging my bleary eyed ass out of bed 30mins. Earlier for someone who doesn't give a shit.

Tags
charity, donation, school, shortfall, supplies, threatens