Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #26
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
I had some old posts that were rotting with yellow jackets nesting. So at dusk I went out with oven cleaner and sprayed. No attacks. I did throw in a gallon of vinegar and flooded their nest. A few were tottering around the post the next morning. And a few days later I dug out the nest.

White faced hornets. Now those I wouldn't mess with. I once happened to walk near one, and I bitterly regretted it. It was years ago so I don't remember how I handled that one.
You should see the YouTube vid of a couple of idiots attacking a white-faced hornet nest with sticks and a hose.

They call themselves the "Terminators." Some kind of reality show I'm thinking..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #27
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

You know the drill. Always work at night, preferably a cool night, so you get all of them.

They are easy to kill. Loggers used to dump saw gas on ground hornet nests. You don't need to light it, the gas wipes 'em out.

Products like Bee Bopper will direct a stream for a good 20 feet. Don't settle for some sort of aerosol "mist" like Black Flag insect killer.

If you don't have the correct product, most petroleum or solvents will work. But I'd get a can of the good stuff, with the effective spray stream.

Once the nest is soaked with Bee Bopper, they'll almost all be dead in minutes, and they should all be dead before morning.

BTW, that thing with the white face looked like what we call "bald hornets" or bald-faced hornets." They're big, have circular stripes on their abdomens, and are ornery. Their paper nests have dangling entry tubes, where ordinary yellowjacket nests just have an entry hole. Hornets are nasty little buggers, but they are easy to kill.
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #28
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
You know the drill. Always work at night, preferably a cool night, so you get all of them.

They are easy to kill. Loggers used to dump saw gas on ground hornet nests. You don't need to light it, the gas wipes 'em out.

Products like Bee Bopper will direct a stream for a good 20 feet. Don't settle for some sort of aerosol "mist" like Black Flag insect killer.

If you don't have the correct product, most petroleum or solvents will work. But I'd get a can of the good stuff, with the effective spray stream.

Once the nest is soaked with Bee Bopper, they'll almost all be dead in minutes, and they should all be dead before morning.

BTW, that thing with the white face looked like what we call "bald hornets" or bald-faced hornets." They're big, have circular stripes on their abdomens, and are ornery. Their paper nests have dangling entry tubes, where ordinary yellowjacket nests just have an entry hole. Hornets are nasty little buggers, but they are easy to kill.
I drink well water, so I am not going to be dumping a gallon of gas down the hole. And I said, the nest is not approachable.

The nest is not approachable. As I said, if I can get a straight shot at the hole, I will hit it from the window of my back bedroom with wasp spray. I will have to do it during the day so I can actually see what I am aiming at.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I keep posting the same stuff over and over, and nobody listens. This is getting annoying.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

I got home early enough tonight where I could get a good view of the nest area from the back bedroom window. The opening is down in the tall weeds, with weeds surrounding it and overhanging it. I could not spray or pour stuff into the opening if I was literally standing right next to it. The twelve gauge option is looking better by the minute.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #30
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
The twelve gauge option is looking better by the minute.
????? I hope you find something that works for you. It's crappy to get trapped inside by what's outside.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #31
sandyd
Beach Fun

No way to get red light rather than white to use at night?

Okay, so pay someone....cuz a shot gun ain't gonna get 'em. You would need a bunker buster bomb.

Not legal, 06....

Pay Someone!

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #32
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
????? I hope you find something that works for you. It's crappy to get trapped inside by what's outside.
I am not staying trapped inside. I just stay away from that area of the yard.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #33
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
No way to get red light rather than white to use at night?
I have plenty of red-filtered lights, including a headlamp. Light is not the the problem. Again, you are not reading what I am posting.
----------
Quote:
Okay, so pay someone....cuz a shot gun ain't gonna get 'em. You would need a bunker buster bomb.

Not legal, 06....

Pay Someone!
This is not urban southern California. It is perfectly legal to shoot on my land, if I want to. I would be shooting into a hillside, so there is a safe backdrop. And yes, a 12 gauge slug will easily reach and tear the hell out of the nest. The problem is that I cannot be really sure of killing the queen. If I do not get her, they will just reestablish the nest, probably somewhere nearby in a worse location.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #34
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
This is not urban southern California. It is perfectly legal to shoot on my land, if I want to. I would be shooting into a hillside, so there is a safe backdrop. And yes, a 12 gauge slug will easily reach and tear the hell out of the nest. The problem is that I cannot be really sure of killing the queen. If I do not get her, they will just reestablish the nest, probably somewhere nearby in a worse location.

A bunker buster is not legal you doof!

And the shotgun alone, as even you say, probably ain't gonna solve your problem. duh....

Okay, you got red light....so 06, you should not have to run away at night...they won't attack....just spray it with wasp spray. Yeah, if you have mutants who do attack at night, you are toast.

It really worries you?

PAY SOMEONE

How hard is that to figure out?

We ARE reading your posts....you are just emotionally stuck and can't move cuz every single way could mean bad stuff.

Hate to tell ya but that's LIFE.

Did ya drive your car today? OMG...bad stuff can happen.
You took a shower, didn't you?
BAD STUFF can happen!

You figure out what you dare to risk and pay someone who has a higher risk when you can't stand it.

You know you are never, ever gonna live this down?

Yellow Jacket will be a term with many meanings

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #35
Coyote
Senior Level 2

Quote:
Coyote, his yard is suffiently trenched and piled enough to cause him to break his neck if he had to run. See first post.
I did see the first post...and all the rest. Susan and Sandy have it about right. I've seldom seen such a scaredy cat.

As time goes on and he gets more experience with life in the country, the jitters over this kind of thing will decrease. Hopefully.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #36
Greta

Just my (internet) opinion, don't use the shotgun. You are not going to kill all of them, and the ones that live are going to be really pissed. Then you would most likely have to deal with this:

PS - But, If you decide to use the shotgun, will you get a friend to video tape it for us, then post it on YouTube?
Greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #37
rryan
Where the hell am I?

For the price of an exterminator he could probably buy a used bee suit or a surplus MOPP type get up and have it for future use.

Add--http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-719/chemical-suit-gear-trousers/Detail

One of these with a sweatsuit underneath should do the trick.

I had to take out a huge hornet nest under the eve on my upper deck a couple weeks ago and did not want to use chemicals that might stain my logs or chinking so I just fired up the pressure washer, black 45 degree tip and nailed em. Nest landed below the deck and when they regrouped at the nest I hit them with the brake cleaner.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #38
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

O6:

Post a picture of the location of the nest.

The readers here don't seem to comprehend the fact that your major problem is access to the nest.

It sounds like the queen built in a neighborhood defended almost as well as Hitler's western border defenses at Normandy.

Trenches, traps, anti-personell weapons.

If you get in close, and find out that the second nest opening is nearby, you could be toast unless you are wearing a beekeeper's suit.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta View Post
Just my (internet) opinion, don't use the shotgun. You are not going to kill all of them, and the ones that live are going to be really pissed. Then you would most likely have to deal with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diFK0...eature=related

PS - But, If you decide to use the shotgun, will you get a friend to video tape it for us, then post it on YouTube?
I would NOT want to face that, lying on my back in a trench full of gravel, that's for sure..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #39
sandyd
Beach Fun

AB, is he saying he can not walk well enough to get over trenches and mounds and weeds? huh.....I guess that could be it.

I admit if it's like up high in a tree, I'd be stumped cuz I could not climb the tree now, at my age.

I guess I figured him for being in good shape and able to hike....my bad.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #40
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
O6:

Post a picture of the location of the nest.

The readers here don't seem to comprehend the fact that your major problem is access to the nest.

It sounds like the queen built in a neighborhood defended almost as well as Hitler's western border defenses at Normandy.

Trenches, traps, anti-personell weapons.

If you get in close, and find out that the second nest opening is nearby, you could be toast unless you are wearing a beekeeper's suit.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

I would NOT want to face that, lying on my back in a trench full of gravel, that's for sure..,
You and rb. are about the only ones listening. I just posted that the opening was inaccessible and covered by weeds; that could not spray anything into it or pour anything down it if I was standing right next to it; and people are still telling me to just walk up and spray the thing, or pour crap down it. It is odd that this particular subject seems to create some sort of weird mental block that prevents simple information from entering the cranial cavity. Of course, one or two just see this as an opportunity to grind their same old axe and do a little sniping, just as they do every chance they get on the threads in The Dungeon. But that is always expected. It is kinda ironic that those who like to pretend to hold the moral high ground are among the worst backbiters.

If the trench were nice and wide, I could tromp down it, even with the round stone in the bottom. The problem is that it is not much more than a foot wide, and it has an eight inch drainage pipe laying in the bottom. That is awkward enough in full daylight, but at night with a red light, the odds of tripping and faceplanting are pretty good. And when my couple hundred pounds thumps into the ground, I think it pretty likely it will wake up my little guests.

On the side closest to the front of the house, I carefully tromped through some of the soft dirt yesterday to get a closer look. It is a little more accessible from that side because it is all soft dirt; no trench. It is deep soft dirt covered with leaf litter so you cannot see the holes, but I was able to slowly pick through it. It is kinda like walking in uneven deep, wet snow. But the little bastards got agitated and some of them flew over to investigate me. I had to back off or get stung.

What people do not realize is that when a yellow jacket or any other wasp starts stinging and biting, the urge to swat them is overpowering. That is fine if there is only one. But the moment the body of any of the colony wasp or hornet species is crushed, a powerful pheromone is emitted. That is the 'attack!' signal. Crushing one of them near the nest is a sure way to trigger a swarm attack, and that is my primary concern. Wasps are very much scent oriented, and they will go straight to the source of the attack pheromone and look for something to go after. Once they find something to attack, they will emit the pheromone as they attack, drawing in the troops. This is why trying to hide in the bushes does not work so well in instances of yellow jacket attacks. Once you have that attack pheromone crap on you, you are the target for the swarm, and there is no hiding.

The way the pros approach a nest is in full protective gear. They use a handheld smoke generator to calm their intended victims (yes, that works on yellow jackets, too). That allows them to get in close without all the bugs pouring out of the nest. They want to poison as many as possible while they are still in the nest.

This thread is an excellent example of why people should be very cautious about taking advice on the internet. Virtually all of the advice from professionals and researchers says pretty much the same thing; these nests are extremely dangerous and must be treated with the respect due any potentially deadly threat. People do die from swarm attacks. The odds are against getting killed, but obviously getting stung and bitten a few hundred times because you were stupid enough to try and stumble over the interesting terrain features, clear weeds from the nest opening and hose wasp killer down the hole is not exactly a brilliant plan of action. Yet we see a bunch of people here saying that is exactly what I should do. Susan's idea of trying to pick through the obstacle course with a pan of boiling water in my hand at night, however, takes the trophy. Along with venom poisoning and anaphylactic shock, why not add second degree burns over your lower body and arms to the mix? (congrats, girl! )

Apparently people here think I am out to win this:

.... and are willing to aid me in that quest any way they can.

Anyways, I was tempted by the twelve gauge idea only because I am getting a bit frustrated about not finding an easy solution. As everybody says, when the nest opening is right out in the open, they are not difficult to deal with, and it has never been a problem for me in the past. I will not use the shotgun, though it would be very therapeutic right about now to pump eight slugs into the nest with my Benelli. The neighbors would hear the shots, and perhaps come over to investigate or call the cops. That could lead to somebody else getting swarmed and hurt, because the nest is right around the corner of my house from my front door. When they came up to knock on the door and ask 'WTF ?!?', they would probably get a very unpleasant surprise.

Another thought that I just had is to hook up a garden hose with a power nozzle to my hot water heater drain faucet. The hot water heater for the house happens to be in the closet of the same back bedroom with the window overlooking the nest. I would need to get my landlord to help out by manning the faucet knob while I was at the window hosing down the nest. I have to try that out and see how much water pressure I can get out of that drain faucet. There is sure not much volume at my hot water fixtures, but that is likely because instead of copper pipe, my hot water runs through half inch flexible plastic hose. The fittings seem small and likely constrict the flow a lot. There should be a lot more volume available right at the water heater. This may have potential. We shall see.

Last edited by Ought Six; 09-16-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #41
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Since I am working from home today, I just took a couple pics.

View from the window:

The nest opening is in the tall grass and weeds at the center of the picture.

This is the approach from the backyard:

You gotta walk up and over the pile of loose stone, and then back either over the dirt piles or into the trench to reach the nest site.

Anybody want to volunteer to drop by, wade back in there around midnight, part the weeds and say 'hi!' to my little friends? Do not be a scaredy cat and get the jitters, now. It is easy! No problema; right? I will even give you my red LED headlamp and heat up a pan of boiling soapy water for ya. You will just need to sign a liability waiver, then you can go for it! All I ask is that you do not trip over my satellite coax. There is no way a DirecTV tech is gonna agree to go in there to fix it.

Last edited by Ought Six; 09-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #42
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
I am not staying trapped inside. I just stay away from that area of the yard.
I'm glad you aren't staying inside and are just staying away from the nest area. I've never been stung and, personally, would be very cautious like you are. Again, good luck with getting rid of it.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #43
lilly
Senior Level 5

Here we are close to the the first freeze at nite. Is your weather like that, because I think after a freeze many in the nest would die off. And once that happened it would be easier to get rid of those who remained.

If it is so difficult why not get an exterminater?
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #44
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
Here we are close to the the first freeze at nite. Is your weather like that, because I think after a freeze many in the nest would die off. And once that happened it would be easier to get rid of those who remained.
We will like not get our first freeze until well into November; perhaps not until December. Since they are underground, it will take a couple weeks of really cold weather to kill them off just with cold temps. If we get enough rain, that may do the trick. A couple really good storms in a row would probably drown the nest, but the weather is extremely unpredictable here.
----------
Quote:
If it is so difficult why not get an exterminater?
First, because I am a cheap bastard, and trying to save for retirement. Second, because in a few months at most the problem will be solved naturally. Third, because I think this is really something my landlords should be paying for, not me. But I really like my landlords, and understand that this rental property is a money pit for them, especially after the collapse in real estate prices. This property is a large part of their retirement nest egg. I do not want to pressure them to blow $a couple hundred$ minimum just to give me the ability to use an additional part of the yard I never really use much anyways for a couple months before the weather really turns bad. I can just move my barbecue to the other end of the deck and rearrange the deck furniture for now, and be careful.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #45
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Nothing to be afraid of....

Old 09-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #46
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Hmm... didn't realize "cannot access" meant cannot even hose it with a good solid stream from 20+ feet away.

Maybe blow it open with shotgun, firehose or something that will improve line of sight access, then hose it with Bee Bopper next evening, would work.

Proximity to drinking water well tends to rule out the overkill method, where you just soak the entire area in something that kills 'em (unless it's something harmless to humans that vanishes quickly anyway).

BTW, when I mentioned loggers would dump saw gas on ground hornets, I just wanted to point out that simple petroleum distillate (most of which evaporates quickly, but there is a little oil in saw gas) is plenty to kill them. Anything that messes up the coating on their bodies will do the trick. I've never experimented, but I'll bet a solvent like alcohol would take them out, too. (Know any sympathetic moonshiners who want a unique endorsement of their product? )

If you can't even see the actual entrance to the nest, you have a headache (if you could see it, you could hose it), but if you can blast an opening to give you line of sight, it's not insurmountable.

Again, cool evenings are best. Good Luck.
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #47
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
Hmm... didn't realize "cannot access" meant cannot even hose it with a good solid stream from 20+ feet away.

Maybe blow it open with shotgun, firehose or something that will improve line of sight access, then hose it with Bee Bopper next evening, would work.

Proximity to drinking water well tends to rule out the overkill method, where you just soak the entire area in something that kills 'em (unless it's something harmless to humans that vanishes quickly anyway).

BTW, when I mentioned loggers would dump saw gas on ground hornets, I just wanted to point out that simple petroleum distillate (most of which evaporates quickly, but there is a little oil in saw gas) is plenty to kill them. Anything that messes up the coating on their bodies will do the trick. I've never experimented, but I'll bet a solvent like alcohol would take them out, too. (Know any sympathetic moonshiners who want a unique endorsement of their product? )

If you can't even see the actual entrance to the nest, you have a headache (if you could see it, you could hose it), but if you can blast an opening to give you line of sight, it's not insurmountable.

Again, cool evenings are best. Good Luck.
Like I said, if I can get enough pressure and volume out of the hot water heater, it might just do the trick. The pressure is not that good on a well system downstream of the filters, but I am going to check it out this weekend. Using the hose at night is not going to work, because I would not be able to see a damn thing. But it is getting cooler now around dusk. Hopefully most of them would be back in the nest, so that might be the best time to strike.

And I already explained why the shotgun idea is a no-go.

Last edited by Ought Six; 09-16-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #48
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

One thing that does mystify me is why Fart has not spammed this thread with infantile 'killer bee' stuff. It makes me suspect that he has had a close encounter of the third kind with a yellow jacket nest at some point, and thus gets the problem. Either that, or he is just slacking. Then again, maybe the Sarah Palin thread has him mesmerized. I know that the Fartman is secretly hot for Caribou Barbie.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #49
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

Fire is your friend, Ought.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #50
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Yeah, using fire on a heavily wooded hillside in dry brush, right up against my wooden house. That's the ticket! I will go right out and get a flamethrower!
Quote:
http://www.kingcounty.gov/property/F...rnBanInfo.aspx

Fire safety burn ban status: Burn ban is in effect.
Dude. Really.

Tags
jacket, nest, yellow