Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Power Station

Power Station A wing of the Science Center dedicated to the discussion of energy issues. This includes both technical and political discussions of current and future conventional and renewable energy issues.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
dharma
balrog

Default Horizontal Drilling And Fracking Videos

Quite good.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dharma For This Useful Post:
blue gecko (10-02-2011), Brihard (09-26-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
ltow
lurker level 3.14

My mind was in the gutter when I clicked on this thread.
Not what I thought it was . . .
Old 09-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Ross
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,461 Times in 831 Posts
Very interesting .

I will distribute it to some of the dark green Nazis that I know .

However to allow gas release and a suitably porous working
medium some skull fracking may be required .

Naturally I will comply with all State and Federal regulations .

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

That was excellent, thank you.

-Thucydides
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Neat videos! I wonder if there are videos detailing what could go wrong in a fracking operation and how it is remediated?
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
dharma
balrog

Oh, they may exist, but you and I will never get to see them. As I'm sure you can tell from the tone and simplicity of the videos, they are designed to educate audiences like high school kids and citizen groups that the drilling process is straightforward and safe.

Which it generally is, but mainly because it is very carefully designed and tightly controlled. It takes a great deal of power to push, pull, and turn a metal drill string up to two miles long through solid rock, which is in turn saturated by materials that are flammable/explosive/toxic when they reach the surface, and under huge pressure. There is ample opportunity for disaster.

In terms of fracking, those perf guns can contain 32 high explosive shaped charges apiece (think rocket propelled grenades, but more powerful), each designed to punch through the steel casing, cement, and formation rock. They are used as many as 15 times per well (up to 30 in some cases). The frack fluid is pumped under tremendous pressure (up to 15,000 PSI), driven by thousands of horsepower from the pumping units. No one is allowed near them while fracking is in process; even assuming the din didn't cause permanent hearing damage, there is the danger of a sudden leak literally cutting someone in half.

Et cetera. One can go on for hours about the risks of injury or death on a rig—as can one re an aircraft carrier, high rise construction site, fishing boat, or farm. Drilling is a highly potentially hazardous activity. That said, the hazard is mostly to those on site.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,242 Times in 726 Posts
That was interesting. The well near me is far from that sophisticated or modern and I feel certain it didn't have the "safety features" these youtubes show. We had to fight them just to get the site bermed. I can't help but wonder how many of these older wells are still in operation and most likely are being fracked without modern safeguards for contaminating surface water.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
dharma
balrog

BG, wells are sometimes refracked, but, in general, it's a process that happens once, about a month into drilling. It is unlikely the well near you is "being fracked".

Very old wells, especially, have problems with liner corrosion and hole instability at depth, etc. If there is still likely to be residual oil in the formation that's worth producing, or amenable to more modern methods, a new well is usually drilled.

Even old wells are multiply cased at the surface. Oklahoma and Texas have had hundreds of thousands of oil/gas wells drilled in the last century, and groundwater problems are rare. Fracking occurs thousands of feet down; there's no way the fracking process, per se, can contaminate water wells. Water wells are closely monitored.

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/gwrd/wat.../well_info.asp

May I ask why you felt it was necessary to have an old well bermed? What "safety features" do you think it's lacking? Is it under pump, i.e., does it rely on artificial lift (a pump), to produce (in which case an overpressure or "blowout" type accident can't happen)?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

They had an over pressure accident and the holding tank began spewing hundreds of gallons of foaming water into a nearby creek. All of us at that time were on wells and berming seemed to be the best way to contain the water/chemicals. It doesn't have a pump like an oil rig. The site has the well head, a large tank with pressure valves and some sort of mechanical element (maybe this is the pump?) From time to time its a noisy affair with periodic outbursts of what sounds like backfire. I know that over the years it has reduced in output and pressure and that periodically they add chemicals to help the process along. Those chemicals show up in my well water. I know its supposed to be happening deeper as the youtubes you posted cited but the fact is something noxious is showing up in the wells near the site.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
dharma
balrog

To say that should not happen understates the case by an order of magnitude. Have you spoken to your county water quality management authority, county department of public health, your state legislator, county commissioner, BBB, state corporation commission, etc.? Or to an attorney? I realize you've probably done all that, but if you have an ongoing water quality issue and can prove it, you have cause and deserve a remedy. It's an easier process in Texas and Oklahoma; I don't know where you are. Berming is not going to help with water problems (yes, I know you know this).

The process with the chemicals is called "stimulation". It's often sulfuric acid or something similar used in an attempt to open up the formation or dissolve obstructions; wells, like your pipes, get gunky over time. It's not fracking. That may be important because the Safe Drinking Water Act takes fracking outside the jurisdiction of the EPA, but not (as I read it) stimulation. Local EPA office may be another possibility for action.

Just suggestions. I know you've probably gotten the runaround from about a zillion people, but you should not have to put up with a problem like that.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanks dharma. I appreciate the info. I contacted some of the state agencies and they've taken an interest. They sent a team out to interview my neighbors and take water samples. We haven't gotten the results back yet. We also have an attorney who is interested in following up depending on the results of the testing. The odor is definitely not sulfuric acid but instead is an acrid petroleum smell. It is much like the smell of burned rubber. The same smell made it through our systems and was quite pronounced in our urine and perspiration. The neighbors had the same experience. What ever it is it seems to have cleared our bodies and hopefully there will be no lasting effect. We're just north of the Arkansas River in NW Arkansas in what I think is called the Atoka formation.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Our results came back negative. The samples they took were fresh from the source and not from the residue in the sandfilter. In the past the foul foamy water would only happen for a little while then go away so whatever this is wasn't caught by their testing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/feder...rackig-2011-12

http://www.businessinsider.com/old-e...g-water-2011-8

Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
dharma
balrog

I'm sorry your problem remains mysterious. That must be intensely frustrating.

I've looked at what I've been able to find about the EPA report—which wasn't a report, it was a draft (grownups hadn't taken a look at it yet), but I suppose that's quibbling. As far as I can tell, it's pretty useless. Drill a thousand feet into a gas field, and chances are you will find gas. Shocking. What most people don't realize is that there are lots of areas in the US where the water is smelly, fizzy, or can even be lit on fire, and they were that way before drilling ever took place (no, I'm not saying that's the situational in your case!). Gas and oil both migrate, and seeps are common.

Perhaps if the EPA had hired an actual geologist they could have learned these facts without drilling a pair of useless wells, but geologists are bright guys and don't tend to be Democrats, so I suppose the EPA felt that wasn't an option.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christop...racking-study/

Last edited by dharma; 12-28-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Tags
drilling, fracking, horizontal, videos