Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Desserts

Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,811 Posts
Talking I HAVE to Make This!

When I make lemon meringue pie, I'm never sure if I prefer the lemon or the meringue. I was just watching an early episode of Masterchef Australia & the cotestants have to make... pavlova.

Never mind never having tasted one - I'd never heard of a Pavlova. It sounds awesome - the best combo of a crunchy meringue & marshmallowy inside possible. Forget a topping - I could scarf down just the base pav.

As soon as we finish the cake I make this evening - I'm trying a pav. It looks dirt simple & yes, I have no problem making meringues. This should be a piece of cake.

Pictures at eleven...
Old 09-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

A good pav should be covered in whipped cream (real not that spray can dreck), and sliced strawberries and banana. Or whatever else fruit takes your fancy.

Quote:

This should be a piece of cake.
Mwahahahahahaha

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Spray can dreck has no place in my house... with the exception of 'wild party preps'.

That's what I was planning - slathering on whipped cream & strawberries. I was thinking of a snow covered mountain about to avalanche deliciousness.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
ukmum

I make pavlovas' regularly, once you get the hang of them they are easy to make. one "trick" is too let the base cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar..makes it crispy but still gooey. It also doesnt matter do much is the base breaks up a little as you will be covering with cream to hide any breaks.
If you are having a party you can make the base days in advance and then add the toppings on the day.
My favourite is rasberries and strawberries.
filling I tend to use Mascapone and whipped cream mixed (slightly less sweet)

passion fruit is also great as a topping..the seeds and juice drip into the cream and are yumptious...

If thebase completely disintergrates while you are experimenting then make into Eton mess.........delicious aswell!

Just made myself salivate...now wheres my eggs?
ukmum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Susie
I am NOT French, I just happen to live here

No Fair!!!! I'm still on a diet!!!
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default The pavlova is in the oven!

Good heavens, that was disgustingly easy. Assembling everything needed - 5 minutes. Putting the pav together, including measuring, adding & whipping, then slathering it onto the baking sheet - 15 minutes. Washing up baking gear & wiping down counters - 5 minutes. Yes I put it on waxed paper.

It's possible I overworked it a teeny bit but it 'piled' quite nocely & the edges are about 3" high with the center slightly lower at roughly 2"... a nice crater in why to dump ooey, gooey goodness. It's been in the oven 20 minutes now & the outside is developing a slight 'skin' or 'shell'. No borwning yet which is good - another 40 minutes in the oven to go.

I have whipping cream to turn into creme Chantilly & lovely strawberries to slice up... didn't want toget too exotic with something this new to me. Seeing as I adore lemon - the next one may have a lemon curd type filling - think of an upside down lemon meringue pie without the pie crust. Well, the idea works for me!

Tomorrow - fish stock, butter poaching liquid to finish, then poach some nice cod for dinner. That along with brown & wild rice & some fresh veg I'll buy tomorrow morning...

Any ideas for a sauce for the fish - something light?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Ooooo....wanna' share the recipe, Sue? Or are they all pretty much the same? DH would love it with lemon curd, DD#2, too.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions

1.Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9 inch circle on the parchment paper. (I used waxed paper)

2.In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Overbeaten egg whites lose volume and deflate when folded into other ingredients. Be absolutely sure not a particle of grease or egg yolk gets into the whites. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice and cornstarch.

3.Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.

4.Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-pavlova/detail.aspx

If you go to the recipe, you'll notice I skipped the last 2 ingredients & set of directions; only beause they were ingredients/instructions for a kiwi/whipped cream topping. I imagine any fruit would do either with whipped cream or... if you really want to be decadent, a custard topped with sliced fruit topped with a coulis on the tart side.

17 minutes until it's done & it looks yummy! It rose & expanded a little bit, the crust has a few small enticing cracks... once I turn the heat off & start cooling it, I'll start cutting up the berries. Wait - better idea - SO can do it. Hulling & slicing berries is boooooooring.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Success! It came out of the oven, (briefly) to be checked. It's so light - a cloud of sweet smelling goodness. It has a nie 'tap' to the crust & through the few small cracks I can see that marshmallowiness.

SO is hulling strawberries & slicing them up, I'll whip up theChantilly later & the pav is back in the oven, (turned off, door open), to dry a tad. It came out biscuit coloured, which I think is what I was looking for.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #10
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Thanks! Wish I was at your place.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

It sounds so good Sue. I have a question, what is lemon curd? I've seen it advertised but by the time I go to the store I forget to check and see. Is it like the lemon filling for a lemon meringue pie?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I'm not sure it's exactly that but it sounds kewler than 'homemade lemon pie filling' - LOL

That's what I'm trying next. Once the filling thickens up, I'll lower the heat & keep stirring as it won't go back in the oven under meringue. Then I'll let it cool to room temperature & slop it on the pavlova. This one won't be about looks but the contrast between the sweetness of the base & the tartness of the lemon.

I haven't had a piece yet but SO's piece sliced off nicely. There's a gorgeous layer of marshmallow inside & the crispy crust literallt melts in your mouth - I'll confess I snapped off a bit & tried it.

SO is happily, ( don't daydream with your mouth full, dear), is already asking how many ways I can think of to use meringues & pav mixtures in baking. LOL I've already mentally adapted my chocolate log roll cake. Fill it with a lemon or orange curd instead, roll it, slather on ameringue or pav topping, then flash it under the broiler... oh yeah...

Pavlova topped cupcakes; if I slightly 'underbake' the cupcakes & put on a thin layer of pav, that might work. Pav 'cookies' - a sandwich of thin pav rounds with a center of jam or a tart filling.

I'm starting to drool.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #13
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Oh you guys are missing out! Lemon curd is fabulous!!! You can make or buy it. I love it on tarts. It's more of a very lemony thick cream- like a lemon filling in a very good donut shop. The scottish slather it on gingerbread

http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonCurd.html

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/...rd-method.aspx

I've bought this brand and it was pretty good:

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Success! It came out of the oven, (briefly) to be checked. It's so light - a cloud of sweet smelling goodness. It has a nie 'tap' to the crust & through the few small cracks I can see that marshmallowiness.

SO is hulling strawberries & slicing them up, I'll whip up theChantilly later & the pav is back in the oven, (turned off, door open), to dry a tad. It came out biscuit coloured, which I think is what I was looking for.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
preppiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to preppiechick For This Useful Post:
Feather (10-01-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Okay, so that's the difference- no thickening agent added. I could make room for that in my repetoire...
Old 10-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #15
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
... once I turn the heat off & start cooling it, I'll start cutting up the berries. Wait - better idea - SO can do it. Hulling & slicing berries is boooooooring.
just as bad as the five pounds of small apples I peeled, cored, and thinly sliced to try a new recipe that I want to make to bring to a friends tomorrow night. It's cooling, now, but I think it will work buuuttt I really don't know if I want to spend that much time again or just do something much easier like texas sheet cake. Oh the dilemmas of my life

Next time I have strawberries, Ill probably try your recipe CS- I do like meringue - especially cookies, and I never make them because you can't make that kind of stuff in the constant humidity that we have, but the weather is just perfect this week!!!!!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #16
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

I forgot- strawberry curd is really good! I made a killer fresh strawberry pie this supper-you make a strawberry curd (same method- just crushed berries instead of lemon juice) to pour over the fresh strawberries and it had a shortbread pat in crust. To die for! (I think I hid the recipe because that could be a dangerous for me) That could be very good drizzled over the pavlova

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I took photos - not of an assembled Pav because we didn't put together the entire thing. We cut slices of the pav, then slopped on varying amounts of whipped cream & berries - he likes more whipped cream than I do.

Let me get the photos uploaded...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
It sounds so good Sue. I have a question, what is lemon curd? I've seen it advertised but by the time I go to the store I forget to check and see. Is it like the lemon filling for a lemon meringue pie?

Lemon curd is a bit richer than lemon pie filling I think.

Ingredients

3 lemons
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.

Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.

Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer. Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drummagick For This Useful Post:
CanadaSue (10-01-2011), Feather (10-01-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

That looks fairly easy, like even I could do it.

My ex-SIL used to make meringue letters for the top of her dad's birthday pie. I've never tried one.

Tags
make