Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
vince08

Default How do i tel when my pumpkins are ripe.?

I have grown pumpkins for the first time this year and none of them are going the usual orange colour do i leave them outside until they do, or do they need to be inside and in the warm to go orange. ?

Is it true that you can also eat the seeds and do you know of any pumpkin recipes please,thanks everyone.
vince08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

A cute girl in see through slippers shows up?

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
vince08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post

: @ Twoolf
vince08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,996 Posts
rf, they turn orange on the vine. The vines often die back before the pumpkin gets color.

Slice into the pumpkin around the top stem, about the circumference of a saucer. You can scoop out the seeds with your hands (very yucky slimy stuff) and rinse well to get off all the fiber. Pat dry and then lay the pumpkin seeds on a cookie sheet and bake at a low temperature until the shells are crisp. We like to sprinkle kosher or sea salt on them as they are baking. They're a bit like pistachios in that you can eat them in the shell, or take the time to remove the shells (pepitos).

Once it is cleaned out, you have a choice - carve the pumpkin for a jack o' lantern, or eat it. You can just put the top back on and bake it. Early pioneers in America would add a bit of cream and spices and bake, or mix up a pudding and bake, and scoop the pumpkin out with each serving of creamy pudding. You can also slice up the pumpkin, dice the meat, and steam it. There are many recipes online. You can treat it like yams or turnips and eat as a veggie side dish, or strain it and mix with other ingredients for pies, use in cookies, etc.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Hmm...mine were always orange before they grew much...very early in the season. Could it be the variety?
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
Followed closely by an old crone with a smoking broomstick..,

Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,996 Posts
rb., dunno any green varieties of PUMPKIN... squash and gourds, yes... but aren't pumpkins are supposed to be orange? They need nice warm sunny days to ripen. If it is cold, or very cloudy, or the sun can't get to them because of a lot of leaves, or if the vine is damaged, they tend to have trouble oranging up. I'd put a straw mulch underneath, make sure the leaves are not blocking the sun, and if necessary cover them at night so they don't get too cold. The rest is up to Mother Nature.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pumpkins, ripe, tel