Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > MidEast Turmoil

MidEast Turmoil The world has its eyes on the uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and Syria. TBM has created a special forum for up to the minute news and discussion of rapidly changing events.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Thanked 1,144 Times in 626 Posts
Default 17 dead in clashes between Coptic Christians and Egyptian sercurity forces

This began as a peaceful protest by Copts in reaction to some earlier incidents as well as the military government. Some reports say that at some point, the protesters were attacked by "thugs" throwing rocks, etc. At that point Egyptian security forces stepped in. Vehicles were set on fire, people were run over, a soldier was killed and the security forces began firing on the crowd. Details are still sketchy.

The death toll varies from 6 to 17, with possibly dozens injured. Attacks on Copts aren't uncommon but this is a much larger incident than usual.

http://english.alarabiya.net/article...09/170992.html
Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Mayerling
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
This began as a peaceful protest by Copts in reaction to some earlier incidents as well as the military government. Some reports say that at some point, the protesters were attacked by "thugs" throwing rocks, etc. At that point Egyptian security forces stepped in. Vehicles were set on fire, people were run over, a soldier was killed and the security forces began firing on the crowd. Details are still sketchy.

The death toll varies from 6 to 17, with possibly dozens injured. Attacks on Copts aren't uncommon but this is a much larger incident than usual.

http://english.alarabiya.net/article...09/170992.html
Death toll is now at 24.
This incident in Cairo sparked several others around the country.
Very bad situation.
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...h-clashes.html

EGYPT: Coptic Church lashes out at military over deadly violence
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christians, clashes, coptic, dead, egyptian, forces, sercurity