Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Massachusetts School District Marks Muslim Holiday

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/07...uslim-holiday/
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,441 Posts
As different faiths become a majority in certain schools & even school districts, we'll see more of this.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I have no problem with building non Christian days off into the school calendar. If I'm not of that faith then its no different than teacher training days that are built into the school calendar.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Give them say three floating holidays the parents can pull their kids out of school for for whatever reason, and then eliminate all religious holidays.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Best idea yet. No faith can then claim other faiths are getting preferential treatment.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Give them say three floating holidays the parents can pull their kids out of school for for whatever reason, and then eliminate all religious holidays.
I don't have a problem with that either but it would probably be a disaster irl especially with end of semester final exams or major assignments in the upper grades. IMHO anything that shortens the length of summer vacation is a good thing and if a school district wants to build in extra days off during the school year I wouldn't complain.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
BoneDaddy
Constitutional Militant

Quote:
anything that shortens the length of summer vacation is a good thing
Why is it that no one wants kids to have a childhood anymore?
BoneDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Summer vacation is too long. I loved the schedule the kids had in the UK. 6 weeks off during summer. Two weeks between each of 3 terms & a week long half term holiday. They were off for decent periods of time over more of the seasons - got a good physical break from school & summer vacation wasn't long enough to drag or for them to forget what they'd learned.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Glenn 50
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Give them say three floating holidays the parents can pull their kids out of school for for whatever reason, and then eliminate all religions. Damn fairy tales have been damaging this world for much too long.

Last edited by Glenn 50; 11-08-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn 50 View Post
Give them say three floating holidays the parents can pull their kids out of school for for whatever reason, and then eliminate all religions. Damn fairy tales have been damaging this world for much too long.
Yeah, that 'religious freedom' thing; we gotta stamp that out. Shoot anybody who does not agree. Chairman Mao and Joe Stalin had it right all along!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
Glenn 50
Member Level 5

I never mentioned shooting...I was just stating my view.... freedom of speech thing.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy View Post
Why is it that no one wants kids to have a childhood anymore?
Summer vacation was never about the kids having a childhood it was a compromise to get farming families to allow their children to attend school. In most areas now children are not needed at home to work the farm and that model should change. I would much rather see a 6 week cycle of 6 weeks of school followed by 1 week off and 2 weeks off in the summer. The kids early grades do mostly busy work the last 3 weeks of school and September to November is spent reviewing material from the year before. They would get a better and more consistent education if they didn't have 8 weeks off over the summer.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,667 Posts
I don't care about summer vacation. Just start school at a reasonable hour in the morning. Getting up at 5 am to catch a bus to middle school is ridiculous, and high school starts 90 minutes earlier. Children do not need to get out of school at 2:30 to study, or attend sports, or work a part time job. They need to go to SCHOOL. That should be their priority.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,623 Times in 997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
I don't care about summer vacation. Just start school at a reasonable hour in the morning. Getting up at 5 am to catch a bus to middle school is ridiculous, and high school starts 90 minutes earlier. Children do not need to get out of school at 2:30 to study, or attend sports, or work a part time job. They need to go to SCHOOL. That should be their priority.
This.

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
Summer vacation was never about the kids having a childhood it was a compromise to get farming families to allow their children to attend school. In most areas now children are not needed at home to work the farm and that model should change. I would much rather see a 6 week cycle of 6 weeks of school followed by 1 week off and 2 weeks off in the summer. The kids early grades do mostly busy work the last 3 weeks of school and September to November is spent reviewing material from the year before. They would get a better and more consistent education if they didn't have 8 weeks off over the summer.
And this.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Carlisle Blues

I get the "inclusion and respect thing". What I do not get is cancelling the Christmas parties while including and respecting. Besides kids do not care one way or the other, it is just another day off or a disruption in the schedule. This is all to kiss the collective rears of adults who feel disenfranchised or under represented.

Also, Cambridge is known as "The People's Republic of Cambridge"...
Carlisle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
district, holiday, marks, massachusetts, muslim, school