Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,159 Posts
Default Your car, a snitch

Nothing new here is you have been watching the news with a privacy bent, but it looks like the MSM is picking it up.

Maybe the next option, or aftermarket, will be a "Boot and Nuke" to plug into the ODB-2 ports.

Did you know that Progressive Insurance's "Snapshot" tool plugs into the ODB-2 port to monitor your driving? Eff that.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...criminal-cases

Digital evidence becoming central in criminal cases
By Mike Brunker
msnbc.com writer and editor

If you are unfortunate enough to land in court after a serious automobile accident, the star witness against you may not be an eyewitness or even a human being. It could be your car.

Today’s high-tech automobiles increasingly rely on computers to maximize performance and monitor operating systems. But while the under-the-hood computers are doing that, they may also be recording data about your driving.

Typically, that information is collected by a vehicle’s “event data recorder,” or EDR, a computer module that is often compared to the “black box” on a commercial airliner. Among other things, EDRs are capable of recording a number of driver behaviors, including brake application, steering, speed at time of impact in the event of a crash and whether the driver and passengers were using seatbelts.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
SSG Rex
Disgruntled Armed Libertarian Underpaid Veteran

Which is why I will never own a new car again.
Thank god they don't have any of that crap on bikes.

CVMA Full Member #2196
Patriot Guard Riders
American Legion Riders Texas Post 573
NRA Life Member
Oath Keeper
Texas Sons of Liberty Rider

The opinions expressed above do not represent the position of the US Army or the DOD.
SSG Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

I just wish they'd make a car that would give my DH a good strong kick in the ass when he goes over the speed limit.
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Oric
El Turco

Ssg: god forbid, you are lucky to go to a court after a bike accident !
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

On the plus side that black box can possibly show that 1 side was or was not at fault.

Years ago I was at a Y type intersection. The right part of the Y was 4 lanes and I was stopped at a red light on the far right lane of the Y. I was hit head on by a car that had the green coming up the stalk of the Y. Under NYS no fault law I am deemed partially at fault because I have an obligation to take maneuvers to avoid/prevent being hit. How the heck was I going to avoid/prevent that? Thankfully there was a police car 2 cars back who saw what happened and wrote it up so that it was an absolute at fault accident. If the officer had not been there and if I had been badly hurt I would have needed to rely on the black boxes to show what really happened. That I had been fully stopped and the other driver swerved 2 seconds before he hit me and that he did not apply his breaks.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Yes, a total surveillance society can occasionally work to your advantage. No, I do not wish to live in such a society. Orwell was right.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

My car hasn't got the "brains" to do that to me.

No, it's not a "dumb blonde", it's a 1991 Jeep Cherokee.

I don't want that kind of total surveillance around me or my kids either.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
SSG Rex
Disgruntled Armed Libertarian Underpaid Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oric View Post
Ssg: god forbid, you are lucky to go to a court after a bike accident !
Yes. I'll be one of three places; morgue, hospital, or jail after I beat to death the jackass cager that hit me while on his cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
On the plus side that black box can possibly show that 1 side was or was not at fault. ...
Any traffic cop with half a brain could have also determined that by tire marks. I do see your point, and I do know that stuff wouldn't exist if some segment of the population didn't demand all the high-speed electronics - along with all the other useless/dangerous junk like airbags, automatic stability control and dashboard home theater systems.
It would just be nice if the order sheet for new cars had an options checkbox for "delete government surveillance devices".

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
No, it's not a "dumb blonde", it's a 1991 Jeep Cherokee.
XJ's rock

CVMA Full Member #2196
Patriot Guard Riders
American Legion Riders Texas Post 573
NRA Life Member
Oath Keeper
Texas Sons of Liberty Rider

The opinions expressed above do not represent the position of the US Army or the DOD.
SSG Rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, snitch