Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Default Police suspended for use of pepper spray on UC Davis Students

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-on-leave.html

A video that showed an officer dousing a group of students who were huddled on the ground Friday quickly went viral on the Internet, drawing outrage and calls for the chancellor's resignation.

“I spoke with students this weekend, and I feel their outrage,” UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi said in a statement. “I am deeply saddened that this happened on our campus, and as chancellor, I take full responsibility for the incident. However, I pledge to take the actions needed to ensure that this does not happen again."

!

“We shouldn’t forget that this is a disease of poverty, of dysfunctional health systems –– and of distrust,”

" For this reason, information, communication and involvement of community leaders are as important as the classical medical approach."

--

Last edited by Sonny; 11-21-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Edit title from "mace" to "pepper spray".
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Malcolm
Senior Level 2

That was "clever" of them
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Previous posts on this:

http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread...671#post323671

The school administrator ordered the student encampment removed. How did she think that the police were going to accomplish this task? Then, when there was some bad press, the administrator threw the chief of the school police under the bus to desperately try to cover her own ass. What a profile in courage!
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

Oh, that kind of mace.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Sonny
Senior Level 4

UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza told CBS News
the officers responded with pepper spray because
they felt threatened.

The university's faculty association called on Chancellor Katehi to resign,
saying her authorization of excessive use of force against protesters
showed "a gross failure of leadership." But she defended her
leadership and said she had no plans to step down.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1eLRO4jy8

Quote:
The school administrator ordered the student encampment removed. How did she think that the police were going to accomplish this task? Then, when there was some bad press, the administrator threw the chief of the school police under the bus to desperately try to cover her own ass. What a profile in courage!

Last edited by Sonny; 11-21-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Samen
unregistered

Nazis

That is grounds to attack and beat up the cops in most of Europe, IMO in US also.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,097 Posts
"Hey, I know, let's provoke a response!"

The Man: "Please move off the path."

"Hell no we won't go!"

The Man: "Please move."

"Hell no we won't go!"

PSSSSTTTTTT

"OMG! they sprayed us with OC! It burns."

HERE's YOUR SIGN

When you poke the big dog, sometimes he is going to bite you.

What they need is a stun gun which the two probes fit on your fingers discretely.

Walk up behind the protesters, two fingers, lightly touch their back.

Something like this with two probes.

No nightmare PR photographs.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
Samen
unregistered

Me thinks not.

Calmly walking by and spraying chemicals that can do permanent damage and cause intense pain on peoples faces when they are not doing physical harm to anyone is showing what America has come to.

The right way to handle situations like this is to drive a wan nearby, manhandle the protesters in and drive them away.

Now one could question...1-2-3

Are the cops 2 lazy to do the right thing or afraid of their uniforms getting soiled (looking at this one smiling fat fart parading in front of the camera).

Is this the new way, physically harm anyone who docent obey the regime (gas chambers are the next step).

Or is it the exes Lawyers that have decided that workers comp for the cops manhandling anyone from the ground to wan is a bigger chance than anyone being able sue the police as THEY have helped draft the laws that prevent individuals for getting compensation in almost any case where police and crowd control is involved.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Samen
unregistered

--4---

Is this the chosen method to subordinate the last of people who possibly might end up as part of the intellectuals.

The lower class big city slum scum has been oppressed in other ways, not that anyone dares to stop a possible drunk driver in such a city, or even venture into the ares after dark with a lone patrol car.

The game is lost in both cases.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
sandyd
Beach Fun

How could they feel threatened by the ones SITTING?

If they had sprayed the group standing around, pushing closer...okay, I might understand more but Samen is right...the way to stop a 'sit in' is to pick up the people sitting and move them to a van and arrest them and process them.

They did it in years past here without pepper spray...why do they need pepper spray now?

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
They did it in years past here without pepper spray...why do they need pepper spray now?

Your are right, OC is a new tactic.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
sandyd
Beach Fun

So you are saying we have not come any further in coping with protests than the civil rights beatings? bah...

http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/2010/...ey-sit-ins.php
http://www.examiner.com/today-histor...dest-groom-103

Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
sandyd
Beach Fun

http://rikuwrites.blogspot.com/2010/...temporary.html

Maybe the cops won't feel threatened if we do the flower thing again?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

He is saying the baton was the tool used to control people, until it was largely replaced by pepper spray. If pepper spray is not used, the only remaining tools are the baton and the Taser.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Because todays law enforcement are taught that an injured officer costs the city/agency/college far more than a can of pepper spray does. There are other ways to disperse crowds, yes, even the peaceful sitting on their ass ones, but again, a can of spray is much cheaper, and the other means are not practical yet, outside of DARPA's budget.

Besides, if you go hands on with a subject, you might hurt them, so many policies do not allow that as a first option. If you dont get up, I will be forced to yank and tug on you, and thats gonna hurt, I guarantee it. Resist further, as in when I yank you, you tense up or push back, then its on and somehow, someway, probably not beneficial to you, I will get you into a set of matching bracelets. Pepper spray does not leave bruises, break bones, crush skulls, yank an arm out of a socket, etc. Does it suck ass to get sprayed? Yep, it aint fun, neither is CS, but the effects are over rather quickly. I carried spray on duty and I am certified in the State of Arizona to carry, having been qualified in a AZ Department Of Public Safety approved course of instruction. During said course, we got sprayed. Bout the same as sitting on your ass doing nothing, only we were standing in a line and got it straight in the face. 15 minutes in the bathroom and all good and back to class. Cant remember how many times I have been CS'd.

Again, when you are lawfully asked to remove yourself from some one elses property and you refuse, expect the shit hammer to fall. When its over, look in the mirror for the dumbass you need to blame.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Dont forget the ASP Ought. The baton was replaced by the ASP and OC replaced Mace, while the Taser is the best hand-held non-lethal device.

كافر & Proud
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
Dont forget the ASP Ought. The baton was replaced by the ASP and OC replaced Mace, while the Taser is the best hand-held non-lethal device.
When you say "the ASP", I assume you are talking about expandable batons?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #18
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
He is saying the baton was the tool used to control people, until it was largely replaced by pepper spray. If pepper spray is not used, the only remaining tools are the baton and the Taser.
Followed by tear gas and rubber bullets.

Pepper spray seems the most innocuous, overall.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
Because todays law enforcement are taught that an injured officer costs the city/agency/college far more than a can of pepper spray does. There are other ways to disperse crowds, yes, even the peaceful sitting on their ass ones, but again, a can of spray is much cheaper, and the other means are not practical yet, outside of DARPA's budget.

Besides, if you go hands on with a subject, you might hurt them, so many policies do not allow that as a first option. If you dont get up, I will be forced to yank and tug on you, and thats gonna hurt, I guarantee it. Resist further, as in when I yank you, you tense up or push back, then its on and somehow, someway, probably not beneficial to you, I will get you into a set of matching bracelets. Pepper spray does not leave bruises, break bones, crush skulls, yank an arm out of a socket, etc. Does it suck ass to get sprayed? Yep, it aint fun, neither is CS, but the effects are over rather quickly. I carried spray on duty and I am certified in the State of Arizona to carry, having been qualified in a AZ Department Of Public Safety approved course of instruction. During said course, we got sprayed. Bout the same as sitting on your ass doing nothing, only we were standing in a line and got it straight in the face. 15 minutes in the bathroom and all good and back to class. Cant remember how many times I have been CS'd.

Again, when you are lawfully asked to remove yourself from some one elses property and you refuse, expect the shit hammer to fall. When its over, look in the mirror for the dumbass you need to blame.
+1

Most people looking from the citizens side don't have a clue the protocol officers go through in carrying out a crowd control without either injuring someone or getting injured themselves.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Yeah, we trained with bayonets. Pepper spray, way more pleasant.

كافر & Proud
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

This has been all over the news here, it's just North of me.

Here's the deal, the protestors were asked to leave the campus at dusk. All UC's and CSU's are operating with a skeleton police force. The Campus police could not maintain a safe environment for the protestors or the campus so the protestors were asked to leave and come back in the morning.

The protestors refused. In fact, they sat down and locked arms. They were asked to leave or face arrest and/or pepper spray. After the 2nd warning, two of the more intelligent students got up and left. The remaining protestors were given one last warning/choice: leave peacefully or face pepper spray and arrest.

They all chose pepper spray. Boo-effing-hoo.
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #21
Antropologo
Shufflin'

In a longer video clip that I watched and which showed far more than just the spray portion of the incident, the student mob that wasn't seated decided to "peacefully" surround the police. This was done through one of the mic check commands and it was bizarre how the students complied and then appeared to surround some of the officers, albeit at a stand-off distance. I think that escalated the situation and led the officers to decide to use pepper spray in order to clear the sidewalk and thus re-establish connection with the rest of their force.
Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antropologo For This Useful Post:
Exodia (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #22
sandyd
Beach Fun

I would bet there would be less of an issue if it was in AZ or NYC but this is NorCal. And here is a bit from one of my links on their history:

Quote:
In September of 1964, the University of California, Berkeley, banned students from using campus property to raise funds or generate support for off-campus political causes. On Sep. 29, when eight students were expelled for violating the ban, several hundred demonstrators organized a campus sit-in. Two days later, police charged former grad student Jack Weinberg with trespassing after he attempted to raise money for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. As Weinberg was carted off campus in a police car, students thwarted the vehicle's path. Over the course of the next 32 hours, as many as 3,500 protesters crowded around the captive car, rocking it and denouncing the university from its roof.
32 HOURS?

It would shock me to find none of the students sprayed knew the history of where they were sitting. THAT is why it seems so far out of line.

Kinda like if any cop fired a gun at Kent State. SHTF time...ya know?

Edit: I'm pretty sure I'd feel different if it happened elsewhere. And the more I think of it based on that, the more I see the Chancellor taking a fall for what happened. Yeah, at UC Davis, she should have come out to talk with the students herself. That is what would be expected. It IS all about location.

Last edited by sandyd; 11-22-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #23
sandyd
Beach Fun

Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #24
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,638 Posts
Default Pepper spray meme

http://punditspew.com/

many examples of it but these are exemplary:

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #25
Antropologo
Shufflin'

Arrow

It's only a couple days old and I'm tired of the spraying cop meme already.

Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davis, maceing, police, students, suspended