Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > TV, Movies and Music

TV, Movies and Music Discuss your favorite television shows, movies, and music here.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,786 Posts
Talking It's the Most... Schmaltzy Time of the Year

We're big on Christmas movies & shows in this house. There's nothing like sitting all cozy& comfy in flannel jammies with freshly baked cookies, hot chocolate, seeing peoples' Christmas lights twinkling through our window & watching some of these shows. Here are some of our favourites...

Movies:

A Christmas Carol: Only 2 versions worht watching in my eyes - the black & white version with Alistair Simm & A Muppet Christmas Carol; they're very different but both great shows.

It's A Wonderful Life: Love, Love, LOVE this show. It's long, it's hokey... it makes me snivel every year.

A Christmas Story: "You'll shoot your eye out!" Makes us giggle every time. SO's absolutely favourite Christmas movie.

Polar Express: That was new to us a couple of years ago. It's a wonderfully animated film & Tom Hanks is superb.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Jim Carey is brilliant.

White Christmas: a classic

Christmas in Connecticutt: another classic.

TV shows:

A Charlie Brown Christmas: what's there not to love?

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: I still chew my nails when the sleigh is teetering on top of the mountain.

Frosty the Snowman: It makes me cry when Frosty melts.

There are even Christmas ads I love. The coke ads with the lighted trucks - every town they pass lights up. I don't know why but they make my throat get all lumpy. The coke polar bear ads - sweet.

So what are other favourites out there?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Catbird
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,668 Times in 887 Posts
Don't forget Rudolph!

I caught part of a commercial the other night that said something about showing a NEW Charlie Brown Christmas show. Don't know any more about it but I can't imagine that it could be any better than the original.

Dr. Michael Osterholm, CIDRAP: "The virus is moving on virus time; we're moving on bureaucracy time."
Catbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I love all the claymation kids specials but my absolute favorites are Santa Clause Is Coming To Town and The Year Without A Santa Clause. The official kick off of the holiday season is watching Miracle On 34th Street with Natalie Wood.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
D. Gale
Make a Wish

I love the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen and Gene Lockhart. Never been much of an Alistair Sim fan. Now if it was Alec Guinness, I'd be all over that.

Ditto on It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Rudolph, and Charlie Brown. I also love Holiday Inn and The Bishop's Wife.

I can't watch the live action Dr. Seuss movies -- they creep me out. But I'll happily watch the original Grinch anytime. (As an aside, my now 18-year-old niece looked just like Cindy Lou Who when she was two. :-D)

DH introduced me to Scrooged (the Bill Murray "Christmas Carol") and Christmas Vacation. ("Dad, you taught me everything I know about exterior illumination.")

More of my favorite newer ones: Home Alone, Elf, the Santa Clause movies (all three -- we're suckers). But my all-time favorite new Christmas movie is Love, Actually.

We always watch "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve. Sometimes more than once (thank you TNT and your 24-hour marathon).

And we'll be watching the original "Miracle on 34th Street" tomorrow night -- it's on Turner Classic Movies at 6pm EST.

Whoo-hoo!
"The kill rate in humans infected with Ebola Zaire is nine out of ten. Ninety percent of the people who come down with Ebola Zaire die of it. Ebola Zaire is a slate wiper in humans." --Richard Preston, The Hot Zone

"Don't worry. Ebola could never gain a foothold in the west due to our advanced medical infrastructure and rigorous protocols." -- Exodia
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,786 Posts
I forgot Love Actually. Brian introduced me to that. Superb cast, fast & tight plot lines - great charactors.

You folks are reminding me of more great shows to catch!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

My favorite Christmas movie was only shown once years ago and lucky for me I taped it. Problem is I no longer have a vcr. I may take it to Walgreens after the holidays and have it put on DVD. It's "A Wish for Wings that Work", staring Opus the penguin and Bill the cat. I was a big Bloom County and then Opus fan.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
jane333
Member Level 4

I can't believe the flood of Xmas movies and ads on tv this year. I like many of them, but WOW! Too much, too soon. I think the retailers are just plain desperate.
jane333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

A Christmas Carol, with Simm, very late, Christmas Eve, after everyone's asleep. Thank you, CBC.

Animated Grinch, Frosty, and Rudolph. The ones from my childhood. Never did like Charlie.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

About 5 years ago the kids and I watched Zoolander on Christmas.

Bizarre movies have been a tradition ever since.

drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
D. Gale
Make a Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
My favorite Christmas movie was only shown once years ago and lucky for me I taped it. Problem is I no longer have a vcr. I may take it to Walgreens after the holidays and have it put on DVD. It's "A Wish for Wings that Work", staring Opus the penguin and Bill the cat. I was a big Bloom County and then Opus fan.
Ohhh, Feaaaatheerrrrrrrrrrrr....

Amazon
On DVD for $10!

"The kill rate in humans infected with Ebola Zaire is nine out of ten. Ninety percent of the people who come down with Ebola Zaire die of it. Ebola Zaire is a slate wiper in humans." --Richard Preston, The Hot Zone

"Don't worry. Ebola could never gain a foothold in the west due to our advanced medical infrastructure and rigorous protocols." -- Exodia
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D. Gale For This Useful Post:
Feather (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Gale View Post
Ohhh, Feaaaatheerrrrrrrrrrrr....

http://www.amazon.com/Opus-Bill-Wish.../dp/B000UZDO6M

On DVD for $10!

COOL!!!! Now I know what I want for Christmas and I'm going to go order it. Opus got me started collecting penguins.

Tags
schmaltzy, time, year