Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Archives and Link Library > The Lookout Tower Archive

Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Thanked 1,291 Times in 705 Posts
Default Mt. Ranier Park under lockdown following fatal shooting of ranger

This story seems to still be developing. But a warning was issued a couple of hours ago for people to stay out of the area and several sources are reporting that the Park is on total lockdown and there is a pretty serious manhunt underway. Thought I'd post this for anyone who might be in the area.

via Twitter:

"@KIRO7Seattle
Re: Mt Rainier: Pierce Co. Sheriff reports an officer down, info just coming in. Stay out of area suspect armed with a long rifle on foot."

"@PierceSheriff says shots still being fired at scene inside Mt. Rainier Park; downed officer has not been extricated yet."

"Park ranger shot at Mount Rainier National Park in Washington; park closed until further notice - @thenewstribune"

"@seattletimes
State patrol @wspd1pio reporting the park ranger shot at Mount Rainier National Park has died. Suspect still hasn't been located."

Reuter (updated 20 minutes ago)'s:

"A gunman in Mount Rainier National Park in Washington state shot and killed a ranger on Sunday, and authorities closed the park to search for the shooter, park officials said.

The shooting occurred just after 10 a.m. after the gunman fled from another park ranger who tried to make a vehicle stop...".
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...-park-15269743

The dead Ranger has been identified as 34 year old Margaret Anderson, mother of two daughters. Her husband is also a Ranger, and was working in the park at the time of the shooting. RIP.

Authorities are saying that the shooter has 'an assault rifle'.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said late Sunday afternoon Benjamin Colton Barnes, a 24-year-old believed to have military experience and survivalist skills, was a "strong person of interest" in the slaying of Margaret Anderson. Authorities recovered Barnes' vehicle, which had weapons and body armor inside, Troyer said.

Troyer also said his department received reports of cars with bullet holes. He said communication was limited because the park has no cellphone service.

Authorities believed the gunman was still in the woods with an assault rifle.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...rson_of_i.html

“We shouldn’t forget that this is a disease of poverty, of dysfunctional health systems –– and of distrust,”

" For this reason, information, communication and involvement of community leaders are as important as the classical medical approach."

--

Last edited by Sonny; 01-01-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Ugh. What a bloody awful tactical scenario for the cops.

-Thucydides
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Catbird
Senior Level 4

"Person of interest in Mt. Rainier killing is suspect in Skyway shooting"

"A man who is a person of interest in the killing of a National Park Service ranger is also a suspect in a shooting at a Skyway party on New Year's Eve.

More than 150 officers - including officials from the Washington State Patrol, U.S. Forest Service and FBI - were searching for the man who shot and killed National Park Service ranger Margaret Anderson at Mount Rainier National Park on Sunday morning.

Detectives are looking for 24-year-old Benjamin Colton Barnes as their person of interest.

"We don't know much about him other than he has some weapons training and he has some pretty high-end weapons," said Ed Troyer of Pierce Co. Sheriff's Dept. "He was up here ... it looks like, by the items that were in the car, he planned on being up here, maybe even hiding out up here."

The suspect is believed to be armed with several rifles.

...After being shot, Anderson radioed for help as the suspect fled on foot.

It took 90 minutes for back-up to reach Anderson because the man continued shooting at law enforcement as they arrived."
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Brihard

Thinking about the tactical situation...

Take the location of the initial shooting. Draw a circle around it with an expanding radius of... call it five miles per hour elapsed if he chooses to move fast. Every hour the potential area he's in increases by over 30 square miles. Each time they get a positive ID on his location, the clock resets.

Anyway, HUGE area. I can't help but think of the tactical scenario from a military perspective- because I can't think of anything less than a determined sweep by infantry (or cops trained to that standard) that would be effective in covering ground AND in providing an effective and immediate reaction to fire when he starts shooting again- because he probably will if he feels close to hemmed in.

The area can be broken into 'chunks' using features like roads, open ground.. *if* static surveillance is tight enough. Too much wildlife to make much use of thermal sensors and the like in a 'survey' sweep. Unless he cross an area being deliberately observed he can sneak around at will. And of course he isn't constrained to the park.

So will he try to find a place to go to ground, or keep running? Or, more dangerous, is he going to hunt cops?

-Thucydides
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Catbird
Senior Level 4

A few details that shed a little light but raise even more questions.

"Ranger shot and killed at Mount Rainier; suspect at large"
Quote:
"The suspect in a shooting that left four wounded on New Year's Eve at a Skyway apartment is also a "strong person of interest"...

Law enforcement sources also confirmed that they found an abandoned vehicle loaded with survivalist gear in Mount Rainier National Park.

Anderson was reported shot at about 11: 15 a.m. Sunday.

...The shooting happened near the Longmire Ranger Station in Mount Rainier National Park just before 11 a.m.

...The stop occurred approximately 1 mile inside the park near the area known as Paradise.

The suspect shot the ranger and then fled on foot, leaving his vehicle behind.

...Authorities said that 80 to 100 people who were in the park have been sheltered at the Paradise Inn, a lodge on the park's property. Officers are concerned that if they left the park, they could be shot by the suspect."
It sounds to me like he got away from the shooting on New Years Eve and decided to literally head for the hills. Packed his car with stuff, and weapons. Other reports mention that there were "several" rifles in the car as well as gear. After staying around for a while after shooting the ranger, he took off by 12:45. It's now almost 9pm there so he's been running for about 8 hours. But now he doesn't have any, or much, of his gear. It may be desperation time for him. And if he really wanted to cause havoc, as opposed to escape, he'd head for that lodge where the people are holed up.

Those folks may be stuck in that lodge for a while.

ETA: Makes me wonder if the reason he shot at other cops trying to get to the ranger was in an effort to keep them away long enough for him to get back to his car to get his gear.

Last edited by Catbird; 01-02-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 5,626 Times in 2,504 Posts
I noticed that Fox news managed to get the story terribly wrong....as usual.

Police Hunt Iraq War Veteran Suspected in Five Different Shooting Deaths

The four people shot at the party the night before didn't die.

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Quote:
Wow, my crystal ball seems to be working. Maybe 2012 will be my year for the lottery!

via Twitter:

"@komonews
Officials say 125 people will spend the night at Mt. Rainier visitor's center as it's still too dangerous to leave"
Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
Brihard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
A few details that shed a little light but raise even more questions.

"Ranger shot and killed at Mount Rainier; suspect at large"

It sounds to me like he got away from the shooting on New Years Eve and decided to literally head for the hills. Packed his car with stuff, and weapons. Other reports mention that there were "several" rifles in the car as well as gear. After staying around for a while after shooting the ranger, he took off by 12:45. It's now almost 9pm there so he's been running for about 8 hours. But now he doesn't have any, or much, of his gear. It may be desperation time for him. And if he really wanted to cause havoc, as opposed to escape, he'd head for that lodge where the people are holed up.

ETA: Makes me wonder if the reason he shot at other cops trying to get to the ranger was in an effort to keep them away long enough for him to get back to his car to get his gear.
He can easily be carrying as much gear as he needs to survive more or less indefinitely and still travelling fast, particularly if he's in decent shape.

Eight hours in, he could be anywhere in 250 square miles, centered around the shooting. I'm assuming he's in good physical shape, but even a more modest pace would knock maybe 20% off that figure.

-Thucydides
Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Tonight, the air will be full of helos and light aircraft looking to get a fix on this guy using FLIR. Come morning, the area will be flooded with tac teams and dog teams from all over the region. There will be officers and deputies in 4WDs, on horseback, ATVs, dirt bikes and on foot. I would guess that easily over a thousand people will be involved in the manhunt. They will likely try to establish a cordon using geographical choke points, then do sweeps sector by sector using picket lines of officers in line abreast within sight of each other. Dog teams will make sure he does not slip past the lines. I hope they can take him into custody or take him down without anyone else getting hurt.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihard View Post
He can easily be carrying as much gear as he needs to survive more or less indefinitely and still travelling fast, particularly if he's in decent shape.

Eight hours in, he could be anywhere in 250 square miles, centered around the shooting. I'm assuming he's in good physical shape, but even a more modest pace would knock maybe 20% off that figure.
Yes, I agree that he could have some gear, possibly enough to survive for a while. But not everything he wanted to have with him. The upside to less gear is that he can probably move faster. IF he's running.

The people in that lodge are really trapped. My connection isn't really good enough to play much with Google Earth, but I'm curious to see where the lodge is situated and what the terrain is like around it.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
Yes, I agree that he could have some gear, possibly enough to survive for a while. But not everything he wanted to have with him. The upside to less gear is that he can probably move faster. IF he's running.

The people in that lodge are really trapped. My connection isn't really good enough to play much with Google Earth, but I'm curious to see where the lodge is situated and what the terrain is like around it.
http://g.co/maps/qhkjz

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&a mp;q=Mount+Raini++er+National+Park,+Paradise+Inn,+ WA&amp;aq=0&amp;sspn=28.114729,68.818359&amp;vpsrc =0&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Paradise,+Pierce,+Washington& amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;z=14&amp;ll=46.78622,-121.735372&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&a mp;q=Mount+Raini++er+National+Park,+Paradise+Inn,+ WA&amp;aq=0&amp;sspn=28.114729,68.818359&amp;vpsrc =0&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Paradise,+Pierce,+Washington& amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;z=14&amp;ll=46.78622,-121.735372" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

The terrain in almost all of Rainier National Park is extremely rugged; deep valleys and canyons separated by steep ridges, all of it heavily wooded. There are lots of streams, rivers and lakes as well. The weather forecast is calling for snow and wind. That will make tracking extremely difficult. I cannot think of worse country to try and hunt a lone, well-trained, well-prepared and well-armed individual in.

Last edited by Ought Six; 01-02-2012 at 02:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ought Six For This Useful Post:
Catbird (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Looks pretty open to me.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

The Paradise Inn in is in a relatively flat and open area, with forest and meadows (which is why it is sited there). It is the exception. The vast majority of the park is just as I described it.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #16
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

This article is making him sound like some kind of Rambo.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1178709.html

Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #17
Catbird
Senior Level 4

More detail in this article.

"Park ranger killed by gunman in national park"
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #18
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Catbird, I'm having problems with your link.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
Catbird
Senior Level 4

How strange. Now I am too.

Lets try this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...national-park/
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Sonny
Senior Level 4

This photo of the suspects car shows snow covering the ground. I'd think traveling on foot in that would be difficult. But one of the guests at the Paradise lodge said they had been out hiking earlier that day, so I'm not sure what the conditions are like there?

In this pool photo provided by the Pierce Co. Sheriff's Dept., a police
officer examines a car on a road at Mount Rainier National Park, Jan. 1,
2012, in Washington state. The car is believed to have been driven by
Benjamin Colton Barnes

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ed-for-gunman/
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Doesn't appear to be any snow at The Paradise entrance to the Park.
Perhaps because this is at a lower elevation than the Paradise Lodge.?

Washington State Patrol troopers with rifles stand at the Paradise entrance
to Mount Rainier National Park, Wash., Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012. A Mount Rainier
Park Ranger was shot and killed while attempting to stop a man in a car who
was speeding on the road between Paradise and Longmire.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Default "He's intentionally trying to get out of the snow," Troyer said.

The gunman had sped past a checkpoint to make sure vehicles have tire chains, which are sometimes necessary in snowy conditions, Bacher said. One ranger began following him while Anderson, eventually blocked the road to stop the driver.

Before fleeing, the gunman fired shots at both Anderson and the ranger that trailed him, but only Anderson was hit, Bacher said. Anderson would have been armed, as she was one of the rangers tasked with law enforcement, Bacher said.

Troyer said she was shot before she had even exited the vehicle.

Tactical responders wearing crampons and snowshoes pursued what appeared to be the gunman's tracks in the snow, Troyer said. Those tracks went into creeks and other waterways, making it more difficult for crews to follow.

"He's intentionally trying to get out of the snow," Troyer said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...5272135?page=2

!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
jane333
Member Level 4

Suspect found dead in a ditch, reporting now on NBC. Approx. 10:45 am Pacific.
jane333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
Sonny
Senior Level 4

"A suspect in the area of Narada Falls has been found. His identification is unverified at this time. Tactical teams are making their way to the subject to determine his identity and status," park spokeswoman Lee Snook told AFP.

Narada Falls is a popular and scenic waterfall not far from the Paradise ranger station near where the shooting occurred, according to maps of the park.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 5,626 Times in 2,504 Posts
This is such a sad ending for a Vet.

The VA has improved in that it recognizes PTSD but has yet to catch up to the fact that it requires treatment in a timely manner.

If you put it off long enough the Vet will take himself off your rolls, one way or another.

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatal, lockdown, park, ranger, ranier, shooting