Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,146 Posts
Default Babysitting while white

Here is the interesting part, Austin is characterized as one of the most liberal cities in Texas.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...utm_campaign=0

Me, APD, and 'Babysitting While White,' Part Deux
A few years back Grits posed the question, "Is babysitting while white reasonable suspicion for police questioning?" after my granddaughter and I were detained and questioned at length in my neighborhood on suspicion of some nefarious deed (it was never quite clear what). In that incident, the police were pretty clear I was stopped solely because Ty, like her mother (who came to live with my wife and me when she was a child) is black, while I'm an almost stereotypical looking white Texas redneck. At the time, Grits was amazed that three squad cars were dispatched to question me for walking down the street with a child of a different race, detaining me for no good reason and scaring the bejeezus out of then-two-year old Ty.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Interesting story.

"Sieze first, ask questions later..,"

Quote:
But I hated for a five-year old to be subjected to such an experience. I'd like her to view police as people she can trust instead of threats to her and her family, but it's possible I live in the wrong neighborhood for that.
Wrong neighborhood he says? Probably the wrong "universe."

He's right about it being strange that the world we live in seems to have us fearing the police instead of haveing a nice "serve and protect" impression of them..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
dyrt
. . .

Just another example of the never ending stories about racism.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Pablo Escobar
Senior Level 1

Most folks reading this story has missed the point entirely!

It's not about a white person suspected of nefarious intentent upon a black child.

It's about an older guy suspected of nefarious intent upon a female child.

The fact that their races were different only helped in busy bodies deciding that he was up to no good and calling the police to report the suspected future crime, child rape and molestation, because, as we all know, all dirty old men want to do to little girls when they get them alone is to sexually rape, molest, and kill them.

This story would not have exisited, if the older white guy was a woman of any age, or a guy of much younger age, or an older guy who was black, asian, or any other non white.

Heaven help us. Older woman of any race would not have generated any calls to the police.

Curiously enough, while I believe that if it were a young black man with an young white girl, calls might and probably would be made, I wonder if an older black man with a young white girl would generate concern?

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

And, the opposite point I forgot to make, was that if the child were a young boy, regardless of the race of the older gentleman, no call would have probably been made.
Pablo Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babysitting, white