Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Thymeless
Member Level 2

Default Spring has sprung!

Caught this little guy on film earlier in the week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-2012 robin.jpg (164.9 KB, 35 views)
Thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

We have a few confused souls who never left the area, I think due to the very mild winter we've been having. Very strange to look out the window and see a robin in January.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

I've got tens of thousands of those tree pigs around here, shitting all over everything and kicking the mulch out of my shrub beds. You want me to send you a couple thousand? Free shipping.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
DBA
Member Level 2

I never knew, learn something everyday.

http://img.moonbuggy.org/tree-pigs/

tree-pigs.jpg
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
DBA
Member Level 2

It appears that some robins and other birds never did leave the region.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...782/story.html
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Spring has sprung!
If we are lucky, spring will 'sprung' here by June. Last year, we had no spring. It was cold and raining right into July, then it got cold and rainy again in early September. We got exactly one month of decent summer weather, with no spring and not much of a fall, either. If that happens again this year, I will seriously consider applying for a transfer to Austin, Texas, where my company has another cellphone test organization.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,794 Posts
I remember that, Ought. I was whining about how cool & wet spring was here, how long it took to see decent weather. You went on two months longer in the slop.

How's your winter been?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
I remember that, Ought. I was whining about how cool & wet spring was here, how long it took to see decent weather. You went on two months longer in the slop.

How's your winter been?
Wet. Cold. Long. I thought we were not going to get any snow, but then we got smacked hard by a big storm in January. We may get another late snow, but more than likely it will just be more rain and cold going forward. A serious windstorm or two is quite possible as well. I am glad that I have a generator now.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
SarahS
ripple in still water

We had daffodils blooming two weeks ago!
SarahS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,794 Posts
Our local newscast today showed a lonely snowdrop blooming on a random lawn today. My jaw dropped. This is FEBRUARY! It's 3-4 weeks early.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I always find the first Spring thaw to be very depressing. It's when I have to get out the bucket and shovel to clean up all the missing dog piles that disappeared into the snow on the lawn. Oh, and of course the cat piles too. They think that snow is a white form of dirt, where you can let fly, and bury it as you please.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Thymeless
Member Level 2

Sorry folks...I thought it would be inspirational...we love seeing the Robins return, and trees et al start greening...a bit early this year, (even for Houston,Texas) but YAY!

PS some Robins DO overwinter, but have not been in our yard.
Thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
occupant
Infosponge

Nice to see a pair of my resident chickadees checking out the birdhouse so soon. They are already bringing in sticks and make just the cutest nest. It is always a work of great architecture.They will make a soft deep bed sitting on a great scaffolding of sticks. I'll have to take a pic before I clean out the house when they are done. They will have only one clutch of babies a year so I will then clean out the house and sanitize it. I put a large smear of vaseline on the inner roof to discourage bee building inside , change the metal hole cover to a larger size for the bluebirds and hope for bluebirds this year. Usually a pair of noisy Wrens then take over. The asswipe neighbor makes too much noise for the bluebirds to settle in. That idiot is going to learn to love or hate Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga when I get done with him this year
occupant is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
spring, sprung