Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
MDINMT
Member Level 4

Default No Paul = No Vote in November

http://www.thedailybell.com/3693/Ron...te-in-November
MDINMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

That is one of the stupidest piece I've read in this election cycle. The Ron Paul folks seem to have abandoned all common sense. I think the term is "Sore Losers"

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

I think many Ron Paul voters will end up voting Libertarian. Gary Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico, seems to be the most likely choice for the presidential candidate. Many Paul voters will find his views equally attractive.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Twoolf

You're probably right. But, as you and I discussed in another thread, all it will accomplish is putting Barry back in office. I know you don't like Strategic voting, but this may be a time to make an exception. I like Paul, I just wish he didn't come off so "Strident" and was stronger on Foreign Policy.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
MDINMT
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
You're probably right. But, as you and I discussed in another thread, all it will accomplish is putting Barry back in office. I know you don't like Strategic voting, but this may be a time to make an exception. I like Paul, I just wish he didn't come off so "Strident" and was stronger on Foreign Policy.
We need to change the system. Or let it burn. No more of this "lesser of two evils" crap. Thats why we are in the predicament we find ourselves in today. But it's still early, Have to see how things shape up.(or not)
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
You're probably right. But, as you and I discussed in another thread, all it will accomplish is putting Barry back in office. I know you don't like Strategic voting, but this may be a time to make an exception.
It is always 'a time to make an exception'. There is always an Al Gore, or Bill Clinton, or Barak Obama we need to defeat. In 2016, it will be 'time to make an exception' because Hillary is running. That is why nothing changes.
----------
Quote:
I like Paul, I just wish he didn't come off so "Strident" and was stronger on Foreign Policy.
The thing that concerns me most about Paul is the Ross Perot 'crazy aunt in the basement' vibe I get from him sometimes. The fact that he hangs out with Alex Jones a lot does not exactly reassure me on that score.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Twoolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
It is always 'a time to make an exception'. There is always an Al Gore, or Bill Clinton, or Barak Obama we need to defeat. In 2016, it will be 'time to make an exception' because Hillary is running. That is why nothing changes.
----------The thing that concerns me most about Paul is the Ross Perot 'crazy aunt in the basement' vibe I get from him sometimes. The fact that he hangs out with Alex Jones a lot does not exactly reassure me on that score.
Hillary?

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
dharma
balrog

Thanked 1,079 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six
The thing that concerns me most about Paul is the Ross Perot 'crazy aunt in the basement' vibe I get from him sometimes.
Forty years of banging one's head against a wall is bound to make anyone a little peevish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf
I like Paul, I just wish he ... was stronger on Foreign Policy.
Paul is quite strong on foreign policy. Had he or someone like him been in the White House, there would have been no Vietnam, no Iraq, no Afghanistan. We would have been trillions of dollars richer and thousands of young men would still be alive. Pretty strong stuff.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
veggiecanner
Member Level 1

Funny he doesn't seem to get that message out to the voters or else he would have some delegates in the primarys.
veggiecanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
MDINMT
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiecanner View Post
Funny he doesn't seem to get that message out to the voters or else he would have some delegates in the primarys.
Ya, that is funny how they ignore him or demonize him and/or outright commit vote fraud and then can't figure out why he isn't winning,right?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Twoolf

He does have some, a few, delegates, just does not have a primary victory

Romney 454
Santorum 217
Paul 47
Gingrich 107

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/delegates

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
veggiecanner
Member Level 1

well I am surprised he has as many as he does. Since it is Ok with him for Iran to have nukes and thinks it's ok for him to volunteer doctors services to the poor with out asking the doctors.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
MDINMT
Member Level 4

Quote:
well I am surprised he has as many as he does. Since it is Ok with him for Iran to have nukes and thinks it's ok for him to volunteer doctors services to the poor with out asking the doctors.
are you senile?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDINMT View Post
are you senile?
I think it is a reference to this:
Quote:
http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_...ealth_Care.htm

Replace Medicaid with volunteer pro-bono medical care
In the days before Medicare and Medicaid, the poor and elderly were admitted to hospitals at the same rate they are now, and received good care. Before those programs came into existence, every physician understood that he or she had a responsibility towards the less fortunate and free medical care was the norm. Hardly anyone is aware of this today, since it doesn’t fit into the typical, by the script story of government rescuing us from a predatory private sector.
-- Source: The Revolution: A Manifesto, by Ron Paul, p. 84 Apr 1, 2008--
The Following User Says Thank You to Ought Six For This Useful Post:
Twoolf (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
MDINMT
Member Level 4

Quote:
I think it is a reference to this:
That STILL isn't RP "volunteering" the doctors to do it, Just like saying RP is "OK" with Iran having nukes,when all he has said is it's understandable that they would want them. I haven't heard anybody saying we should go in and kick the shit out of N. Korea and they are as/if not more batshit crazy than Iran.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Mama Alanna
Merry Xmouse!

Thanked 1,161 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Before those programs came into existence, every physician understood that he or she had a responsibility towards the less fortunate and free medical care was the norm.
Yep, and doctors used to accept a chicken or a bushel of apples for providing such medical care as they could give. Those days are long gone, along with the standard black bag and a few tools being the only equipment a doctor needed.
--Josh Billings
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
Yep, and doctors used to accept a chicken or a bushel of apples for providing such medical care as they could give. Those days are long gone, along with the standard black bag and a few tools being the only equipment a doctor needed.
If we could get the goddamn government back out of medicine and get med schools to teach real ethics again, I think that the pro bono 'understanding' could be reinstated.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDINMT View Post
That STILL isn't RP "volunteering" the doctors to do it, Just like saying RP is "OK" with Iran having nukes,when all he has said is it's understandable that they would want them.
Yeah, I understand that was not the most perfect characterization of Paul's views.
----------
Quote:
I haven't heard anybody saying we should go in and kick the shit out of N. Korea and they are as/if not more batshit crazy than Iran.
Apples and oranges, really. The norks are in a position to lay waste to the South and kill millions, should they once again do the crazy thing and invade. And they supposedly already have nukes, which makes an attack all the more problematic. One positive thing is just how isolated they really are.

With Iran, they can certainly cause a lot of trouble in retaliation for an attack, but the amount of serious damage they can really do and how long they could keep it up is very limited. I think that letting an apocalyptic theocractic cult terrorist state like Iran open a nuclear weapons production line would be positively insane. I think Paul can be charitably described as 'quite naive' on that score. I think that sometimes his absolutism is in his principles clouds his perception and overrides his common sense.

Of course, I still like and respect him far more than the other freaks and shills that are running. I am glad he is in the race and getting his message out. And while I think Newt would suck as a Prez, I likewise am glad he is in the race, and especially present at the debates. He is an intelligent guy and a fantastic speaker and debater. Paul and Gingrich generally raised the intellectual level of the political discourse in the Repub primaries, and that was desperately needed.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Twoolf

Quote:
Paul and Gingrich generally raised the intellectual level of the political discourse in the Repub primaries, and that was desperately needed.
Correct. Unfortunately, it was wasted on the electorate.

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Correct. Unfortunately, it was wasted on the electorate.
Mostly true, but I think a few heard things they never got from the MSM before. The whole nation does not have to 'wake up'. The revolution against the British was started by a few dedicated, determined patriots. As Samuel Adams said, "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
dharma
balrog

Thanked 1,079 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
get med schools to teach real ethics again
*Earlier snotty reply deleted*

C'mon, guy; you haven't the slightest idea what med schools teach, now or then.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #22
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
*Earlier snotty reply deleted*

C'mon, guy; you haven't the slightest idea what med schools teach, now or then.
I am only going by what my cousin said about it. He is a GP. He said that many, if not most doctors these days seem more interested in making money than anything else. There sure seems to be a whole lot who choose plastic surgery over general practice these days. He also said that medical schools do not do anything to discourage such attitudes; much the opposite. But then, he is pretty cynical.

Last edited by Ought Six; 03-12-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #23
veggiecanner
Member Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
Wasn't it Sharon Angle who said some thing like this and she got laughed out of town. (Nevada running against Reid)

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Quote:
If we could get the goddamn government back out of medicine and get med schools to teach real ethics again, I think that the pro bono 'understanding' could be reinstated.
Not sure it's what they teach, but what it costs to teach it.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Not sure it's what they teach, but what it costs to teach it.
Certainly the hideous cost of a medical degree, malpractice insurance, the necessary equipment and personnel to set up a practice, etc,, has got to be a big factor in needing to make more money as a doctor.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
veggiecanner
Member Level 1

We don't need any more politicians telling people they should get free stuff. That is what has gotten us in this mess to start with.

Tags
november, paul, vote