Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Default Pregnant teen humiliated by school

http://blogs.babycenter.com/communit...ted-by-school/

Fifteen year old Shantelle Hicks found out she was pregnant and planned to continue her education at her public school but the school had other plans once they discovered her pregnancy. Instead, they booted her out and it wasn’t until a letter sent to the school on her behalf by the ACLU that she was allowed back in 4 days later.

To further complicate the issue upon her return, Shantelle claims she felt humiliated, being forced by the school director and another staff member to stand up and announce her pregnancy during a school assembly because school officials allegedly did not want to set a bad example for the other students. For a school whose slogan is “SUCCESS FOR ALL of our students,” it seems to be contradictory to this case.

If the allegations are true, I have to say I’m at a loss as to why school officials believed this was an appropriate course of action. It raises so many questions, including whether this student’s constitutional rights were violated, why the baby’s father (if he was also a student at the same school) was not asked to stand up as well and whether public humiliation is ever productive. (For some reason, I’m reminded of the book The Scarlet Letter.)

XxLovelyxChaosxX asked The Debate Team “Should the school have used her as an example to the other students? Did the school violate her privacy?”.

Cmhchick didn’t mince words “School was WAY out of line here.” and iluvscience elaborated “That is disgusting. I can’t believe the SCHOOL thinks it’s OK to treat children (especially female children) with such disrespect. Where is her right to privacy?! What about the boy that got her pregnant?! Why does she take the entire blame?!”

In the lawsuit filed by the ACLU has named the school district along with the school officials who singled out this student and is seeking damages and declatory relief of the violations of her constitutional rights.

Do you think the lawsuit has any merit? Or was the school justified in their alleged actions?

My schedule is full.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

Where the hell were that parents that they didn't raise her properly? Fifteen and knocked up? Thats a parent failure more than a kid failure. But the school was way out of line.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
sandyd
Beach Fun

I thought tossing preg girls out of school went out of style by the 80's....so yeah, I think the lawsuit is appropriate and will be a winner.

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

The girl was at a reservation boarding school. An 8th grader at the time. Seems that school could be as much at fault as her parents.

ACLU: Pregnant Teen Humiliated At School

Koat.com

Last edited by Cactus Az; 03-13-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: linky no worky
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
reservation boarding school
Like, not even in the USA school?

Hey, their country, their rules.

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

A BIA school at Fort Wingate. On the Big Res.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,036 Posts
Quote:
"It was so embarrassing to have all the other kids staring at me as I walked into the gymnasium," said Hicks in a statement. "I didn't want the whole school to know I was pregnant because it's not their business, and it wasn't right for my teachers to single me out."
I don't think she understands how this pregnancy thing works.

I think they were going to know anyway.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
jane333
Member Level 4

Prior to the 70's, whole communities raised kids; now, if a child experiences the deserved disapproval of even one authority figure other than his parent or teacher, that's a rare thing.
jane333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Coyote
Senior Level 2

Quote:
Prior to the 70's, whole communities raised kids;
Funny, I don't seem to remember that. "You can mind your own business" was more the norm.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane333 View Post
Prior to the 70's, whole communities raised kids; now, if a child experiences the deserved disapproval of even one authority figure other than his parent or teacher, that's a rare thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Funny, I don't seem to remember that. "You can mind your own business" was more the norm.

Both I think. I remember getting disciplined by neighborhood adults when I screwed up. I also remember cops doing a little street justice to young punks to keep them from getting a record.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
jane333
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
.... I remember getting disciplined by neighborhood adults when I screwed up......
It's really no trouble to give a rotten kid the evil eye when he's screaming in public or mistreating his parents, or confront him in the midst of shoplifting. But that's just me.
jane333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane333 View Post
It's really no trouble to give a rotten kid the evil eye when he's screaming in public or mistreating his parents, or confront him in the midst of shoplifting. But that's just me.
For kids shoplifting, I find taking cellphone video and telling them, "you are going to be a star on YouTube, dude!" when they spot you recording them generally works well.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humiliated, pregnant, school, teen