Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Environmental News

Environmental News Discuss weather, climate, and earth changes here.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow 90 year old climate change expert calls global warming scare ‘absurdity’

http://www.investigatemagazine.co.nz...tigate/?p=2523
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Right now, ABC reporting "70 cities approchaing record high temperatures today."

80 degrees in March in New York City..,

Lol. Nope, there's no global warming.

IIRC, last year we had another big batch of record highs in early spring.

Also, last year there was arecord number or early season tornados, including the single worst spate of them in a 24 hour period. What? 700 tornados in 48 hours??

How about this years tornados outbreak. Several hundred when there are usually NONE until about a month later..,

Nope. No sort of climate change at all.

Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auburn Boy For This Useful Post:
Fartacus (03-28-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
Right now, ABC reporting "70 cities approchaing record high temperatures today."

80 degrees in March in New York City..,

Lol. Nope, there's no global warming.

IIRC, last year we had another big batch of record highs in early spring.

Also, last year there was arecord number or early season tornados, including the single worst spate of them in a 24 hour period. What? 700 tornados in 48 hours??

How about this years tornados outbreak. Several hundred when there are usually NONE until about a month later..,

Nope. No sort of climate change at all.

Nice cherrypicking of data to generate a false conclusion. You failed to note that we have an equal number of record low temps. We are coming out of a 150 year period unusually mild period after the last cooling period, and are entering back into a historical normal weather pattern will more extreme temp range in both directions, more storms, more floods, more droughts, and etcetera. We have been spoiled and think the last 150 years was 'normal'. It was not not. What we have now is normal.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
lilly
Senior Level 5

Our seasons here have changed. Moved up about 2 to 3 weeks. Ten years ago the ornamental plums would have bloomed 2to 3rd week in April.

They've officially changed our planting zone.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Dietrich
Niche player

This past winter was one of the warmest ever measured in N.America. To be precise, there have only been 3 warmer winters in the last 150 years or so of reliable N.American data. And all 3 of those occured in the last dozen years.

Climate change? Probably.
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
shalym
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich View Post
This past winter was one of the warmest ever measured in N.America. To be precise, there have only been 3 warmer winters in the last 150 years or so of reliable N.American data. And all 3 of those occured in the last dozen years.

Climate change? Probably.
And the winter before that had record low temperatures and snow depth. Your point?

Shari
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Nice cherrypicking of data to generate a false conclusion. You failed to note that we have an equal number of record low temps. We are coming out of a 150 year period unusually mild period after the last cooling period, and are entering back into a historical normal weather pattern will more extreme temp range in both directions, more storms, more floods, more droughts, and etcetera. We have been spoiled and think the last 150 years was 'normal'. It was not not. What we have now is normal.
In the last two weeks there were over 7000 record daily high temperatures.

260 record low temperatures.

I love cherries, by the way. I pick them every chance I get..,

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
And the winter before that had record low temperatures and snow depth. Your point?

Shari
As OUght Six pointed out.., increasing variability.

One year hot. One year cold. One dry.., one wet..,

It's still climate change. So, it's climate change "back to normal varability?" We'll see..,
Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

One climatologist noted that all theses record warm temps are in a band right through he middle of the developed nations in the northern hemisphere. Nothing much in the southern hemisphere. He said this is an unmistakable indication that it is due to heat island effect. That and increased variability working in concert perfectly explain what are seeing. 'Greenhouse gases'; not so much.

Last edited by Ought Six; 03-27-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
Auburn Boy

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...to-becoming-ir

Uh.., Rather well respected publication.

Quote:
Scientific estimates differ but the world's temperature looks set to rise by six degrees Celsius by 2100 if greenhouse gas emissions are allowed to rise uncontrollably.

As emissions grow, scientists say the world is close to reaching thresholds beyond which the effects on the global climate will be irreversible, such as the melting of polar ice sheets and loss of rainforests.
I'm not the one doing the "cherry picking" here now.

Carbon release from the Siberian permaforst:

Quote:
In a worst case scenario, 30 to 63 billion tonnes of carbon a year could be released by 2040, rising to 232 to 380 billion tonnes by 2100. This compares to around 10 billion tonnes of CO2 released by fossil fuel use each year.
Sounds nice. It will be a balmy 6 degrees C warmer on the average by 2100.

Last edited by Auburn Boy; 03-28-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
One climatologist noted that all theses record warm temps are in a band right through he middle of the developed nations in the northern hemisphere. Nothing much in the southern hemisphere. He said this is an unmistakable indication that it is due to heat island effect. That and increased variability working in concert perfectly explain what are seeing. 'Greenhouse gases'; not so much.
http://climatecrocks.com/2011/10/21/...ults-reaction/

Quote:
— the results from the Berkeley team have confirmed that the other main global temperature estimates (NASA GISS, NOAA/NCDC, and HadCRU) got it right, and that station siting/urban heat island effects are not responsible for any of the observed temperature increase. The real reason all these analyses (including Berkeley’s) show temperature rise is: the globe is warming.
Heh..,

Meh..,

It ALL depends on whom you READ.

Quote:
There’s this notion among the climate denial community that somehow the entire professional climatology community has overlooked an obvious flaw in the science behind anthropogenic global warming.
ROFLMAO!!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...to-becoming-ir

Uh.., Rather well respected publication.
Actually, it is a Reuters news article, if you look at the source. Not surprising it is reprinted in SciAm, as they are firmly on the global warming bandwagon, and have been all along.
----------
Quote:
I'm not the one doing the "cherry picking" here now.
Yes, actually, you are.
----------
Quote:
Carbon release from the Siberian permaforst:

Sounds nice. It will be a balmy 6 degrees C warmer on the average by 2100.
If you read what it actually says, "estimates differ". There is a single study predicting that, and it is the worst case out of literally hundreds of studies on 'climate change', as they are calling it these days. But that kind of cherrypicking of the single most extreme study spins up the credulous, sells copy and brings more website hits. That means more ad revenue. You did know that Reuters is a business trying to compete, sell a product and make a profit, right? I bet AP, AFP and BBC News will have within the day or already have nearly identical articles.

BTW, if that is not scary enough for you, check out calthrates at the bottom of the ocean. Even more methane! It will melt the icecaps, and we will all have to....

Just make sure you do not stop to think why none of this happened during the Medieval warming period, when it was warmer than it is today. It might kill your disaster buzz. That would be a real bummer.

As for the Berkley study....

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/0...rature-series/

Last edited by Ought Six; 03-28-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Global Warming Models Are Wrong Again

The observed response of the climate to more CO2 is not in good agreement with predictions.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Reports link heat waves, deluges to climate change

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...VgS_story.html

The politicians at the IPCC take another stab at 'science' that just happens to fit their agenda. What were they so fond of saying about 'denialists'? Something about 'being too stupid to know the difference between weather and climate'....
Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #14
Ross
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,445 Times in 825 Posts
IMO sea surface temperature is a good measure of global temperature change .

Chart source ...
http://bobtisdale.wordpress.com/

People might also like to ponder why satellites show falling sea levels when all those
glaciers are allegedly melting .

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

Last edited by Ross; 03-31-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calls, change, climate, expert, global, scare, warming, year, ‘absurdity’