Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #26
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by linttrap View Post
Some of those rare extremists happen to be running for President or voting on these laws in the State leges. So I don't care how rare they are, if they are in any position of power to make laws that only apply to women, a gender I belong to and claim, unlike Ann Coulter, I sit straight up and watch very closely.
So you want a nation with no extremists in any legislature. Too bad. This is America. In a few districts where there are a lot of religious rightwingers, you are going to get such people elected. In a few districts where you have a lot of total loon leftists, you are going to get such people elected. And you will get the occasional extreme presidential candidate like Santorum or Dennis Kucinich. Those people in the legislature mostly do not get their extremist agendas passed because they views are very much in the minority. And in a few cases where they may get something passed in a state legislature in a Bible belt state, or a left coast liberal state, if it is too extreme, the courts will strike it down.

This is our system. It is called a representative democratic republic. If you find this form of government offensive to your sensibilities, and you want views that you personally find offensive to be suppressed, then you are living in the wrong nation.
----------
Quote:
And if the genders were reversed, all you poor discriminated against males would be howling about how unfair it was. Use your imagination and you can figure out how it might feel and how you might be screaming about it.
I already said I disagree with these laws, and at no time did I say or even suggest that you should not be upset or complain. I am merely pointing out falsehoods in your statements.
----------
Quote:
This isn't abstract political theory. It is happening to women, only women, and it seems to be men who are doing it. If there is a rare bird in the GOP it would be the female legislator. There, there's your tangential point to run with.
There are, if I count right, five female Repub Senators and thirty female Repub Representatives. And the Repubs ran a female VP candidate against Obama, while the Dems have not run a female VP candidate since Geraldine Ferraro in 1984. Both Bachmann (Repub) and Hillary (Dem) have run for Prez recently, but neither was nominated. Not so rare as you seem to think.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.

Last edited by Ought Six; 03-26-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #27
dharma
balrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by linttrap
And if the genders were reversed, all you poor discriminated against males would be howling about how unfair it was. Use your imagination and you can figure out how it might feel and how you might be screaming about it.
Yawn. There's been a war against boys and men and masculinity going on in this country for the last fifty years. I think I need hardly rehash the details. Men generally do not "scream about it", because pissing and moaning are unmanly. You can google "war against men" and count the hits (a lot), or peruse the books on a page like this (Amazon) if you want the details.

As Dreamweaver points out, there are places in the world where a real war on women is ongoing, and successful. It's hard to get excited about women complaining because one or two ineffective, dumbass legislators want them to buy their own birth control pills, when, elsewhere, women are being beaten, held prisoner, mutilated, and killed by their own husbands and family members, with the approval of the societies that surround them.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dharma For This Useful Post:
Ought Six (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 6,102 Times in 2,644 Posts
So we should just STFU because we aren't being beaten? The fact is, some women are.

So, as far as you're concerned, it's ok for an employer to decide that he doesn't want his female employees using bc so he can fire them if they do?

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #29
dharma
balrog

Quote:
So we should just STFU because we aren't being beaten? The fact is, some women are.
So are some men. Tra la. What's that got to with the GOP?

Quote:
So, as far as you're concerned, it's ok for an employer to decide that he doesn't want his female employees using bc so he can fire them if they do?
Well, in my universe, where freedom, self-determination, and property rights are words that still have meaning, an employer should be able to fire an employee for any reason whatsoever, just as an employee should be able to quit for any reason whatsoever.

But, back in this one, your example is both a straw man and a red herring. How's he going to know if she's using birth control pills, which are her private business? Oh, that's right, because you've made him pay for them. But now it's not her private business any more, is it? Now he's been forced into the equation. If he's a good Catholic, and you're forcing him to contravene his deeply held moral precepts, whose rights are being violated?

If you don't want your private behavior regulated, then keep it private, for heaven's sake.

Employers offer health insurance as a perk, a benefit. It should be up to them what features are included. It should be up to their employees whether those are adequate, and they have a remedy if they think they're not—quitting.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 6,102 Times in 2,644 Posts
Thank you for being clear about your allegiance. Be sure and mention it to any future girlfriends right up front so they don't have to waste time watching your attitude emerge.

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #31
dharma
balrog

My "allegiance"?

My beliefs are hardly a secret. My girlfriends have always been fine with them. I tend to date strong, smart women. My last girlfriend was Persian. She knows what real sexism is. She isn't impressed with the complaints of most of her female colleagues.

Tags
gop, video, war, women