Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Default Pvc shoe rack

trying to determine the adhesive they used to create this... I am thinking liquid nails and strapping the sections together to bind them till set

I want it to be fairly portable to when it gets dirty it can be taken outside and hosed down...

and I dont want screws cause I dont want any pointy bits to bite hands and or shoes and yet I see spots that could be screws or rivets or something...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,605 Times in 2,008 Posts
It looks like rivets to me, kg.

That looks like beige CPVC rather than white PVC. Both require a purple solvent to be applied before the proper glue. That's going to show. Plus, you have to do it outside because of the toxic fumes, and you have to work fast because it dries fast.

Drilled holes and twist ties might work... hide the ends between the pipes and it should look neat. They are easily replaced if you decide you want another configuration.

What about velcro? You can get self adhesive strips and dots at hobby stores. Apply them to the pipes where they meet, and they should stick together firmly enough to do the job.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

I can't recall ever seeing cpvc in 4" diameter FB. I could be wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but was mistaken...

I would be willing to bet that's lightweight pvc, generally used for sewer lines and french drains. Anyway, I think instead of messing with pvc glue I'd just build a frame from 1 x 6 lumber and size it so that you have to smush the last section of pipe in. That would hold them all in and make it very moveable. But that's just my early morning thinking before coffee...
MaxTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
flourbug

Max, I thought it was based on color - PVC is white, and CPVC is beige - no matter what the size. I am not a regular pvc shopper though, so I could be wrong too. (Blind leading the blind, here? lol)
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
MaxTheKnife

I've seen green, white, beige/cream colored lightweight pvc. What really matters is what's printed on the pipe for specifications. Regular white pvc is schedule 40 mostly. High pressure pipe is schedule 80, much like the ratings on steel water and gas pipes.

I'm certainly not arguing here FB. The world is full of stuff and who knows what all its made up of. But I can tell you one thing for sure. CPVC is much more expensive than regular or lightweight pvc. Some people believe that cpvc is stronger than regular pvc. Not so. CPVC is rated for higher water temps so is used for hot water. But its much more brittle and not nearly as strong as regular pvc. It also takes a special glue and cleaner rated specifically for cpvc. There's also a multi-purpose glue and cleaner, but I never liked that stuff and it's a bit more expensive too.

So the moral of my ramblings is if you're going to make this pvc shoe rack, go with lightweight pvc pipe, pick your favorite color! Just get the cheapest in the store. And saw it to length with a chop saw or miter saw. Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,151 Posts
I have seen it larger than 4". I would find a construction site that had scraps than buying who stalks.

Schedule 40 or 80 can get expensive.

You could stack them on the end and glue them. I think a lot of the glue is purple as FB mentions (to show the joint was glued) but I have seen in it clear.

There are also some good spray paints now for plastic as long as it is cleaned well.

You could rivet or bolt them but something would be sticking out and might damage shoes. (What I think I see.) You could use "real" rivets but being in a tube that would be hard.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
flourbug

Quote:
I'm certainly not arguing here FB.
Oh, me neither!

If we're discussing the type of eggplant or tomato, I might be able to lend some expertise... but pvc? HA! I am learning, not preaching!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
D. Gale
Make a Wish

This guy used smaller tubes and a strap, but his cubbies only holds single shoes.

Here's the DIY instructions for the one KG posted:

http://whynotdoityourself.tumblr.com...looks-cool-too

Looks like they only used glue, (but I could swear I see some kind of metal fastener near the front of one of those tubes):

Quote:
Materials:

4 or 6 inch diameter PVC Pipe - I would suggest getting it in at least the 10 ft pipes and then, depending on where you go either have them cut it into 1 1/2 foot lengths or just do it yourself. Note: Depending on what you are trying to store you can increase or decrease the diameter of the pvc pipe. This is focusing on shoes so the 6 works better for my wife. However the 4 works better for our little kids.

PVC Glue

Instructions:

Build your base first…for this we took 3 of the 6 inch diameter PVC pipe and put 3 together. Place a line of glue ( I use the Oatey 30863 PVC Heavy Duty Cement, Clear, 8-Ounce or Gorilla Glue) along where the PVC touches in the center. Note: Do this in a well ventilated area. I would think this would be obvious because of the fumes from the glue..but just want to put that out there.

Another suggestion is that, if you are going to stack them as we did, you make each line first….in other words if you are going to do 3 then glue those three together first….then place glue on top center of base and put the three you just glued on top.

Wipe off any excess glue quickly as this sets pretty fast.

Note: I always let it set for about 1 hour to be on the safe side. Also some people use primer..I have found that I do not need to do that for this type of project but if you are a perfectionist you may want to!

Repeat as many times as you want…or do as we did in our sons room and get creative…he now has the PVC surrounding the top of his bed and stores all his stuff there. This is a great space saver!
"The kill rate in humans infected with Ebola Zaire is nine out of ten. Ninety percent of the people who come down with Ebola Zaire die of it. Ebola Zaire is a slate wiper in humans." --Richard Preston, The Hot Zone

"Don't worry. Ebola could never gain a foothold in the west due to our advanced medical infrastructure and rigorous protocols." -- Exodia
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

yea we are thinking 6 inch cause we all have mongo sized feet Im a w11, the hubby m13, the teenager m14, heck even the 10 and 7 yr olds have big feet m6.5... and the 6" fits both shoes one on top of the other...

we are a no shoes in the house family so the front area is cluttered with shoes
Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
MaxTheKnife

Well, since I've been a plumber and know what I know, I'll share. There is pvc glue and pvc cleaner. The cleaner is purple and the glue is clear. If you just use the glue, you get a glue joint. But if you use the cleaner (also known as primer), you'll get a chemical joint. In other words, when you just use the glue it just glues the joint together. And that works fine if you're not after totally waterproof joints. But when you're running high pressure water pipe, you want a chemical joint so it won't ever separate. See, the primer coupled with the glue actually welds the two pieces or pipes together into one unit. No glue joint. It kind of melts it together when you use both. Use the primer first to clean the joint. Then glue it. Clear as mud???
Old 05-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

grommets could work too... using grommet pliers flat edges and nothing really protruding it could be good
Old 05-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,662 Times in 939 Posts
Please tell me how to cut the pipe so perfectly .

When I do it I tend to get ragged ugly angled cuts.

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
MaxTheKnife

It's hard to cut it straight by hand Ross. So a chop saw or miter saw is best if you have one.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #14
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

To get the edges smooth use sandpaper and sand them smooth. I did that with the signs I used to make.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

saw then sand... I think a belt sander would make short work of it

Tags
pvc, rack, shoe