Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,988 Posts
Default Trouble in Charlotte NC

Quote:
Charlotte faces aftermath of protests ignited by fatal police shooting; 12 officers injured

SEPTEMBER 20, 2016 5:23 PM

BY JOE MARUSAK, ELY PORTILLO AND MARK PRICE
[email protected]

All lanes of Interstate 85 were reopened early Wednesday but still littered with some rocks and glass after a night of protests over an officer-involved shooting of an African-American man in the University City area. The officer was also African-American.

Twelve police officers were injured Tuesday night in a series of clashes, and reports were coming in early Wednesday of motorists on Interstate 85 being hurt and their vehicles damaged when protestors threw rocks, bottles and traffic cones off interstate overpasses onto traffic below.

At least seven of the police officers needed to be hospitalized after the clashes, including one who was hit in the face with a rock.

Mayor Jennifer Roberts sent out a message on Twitter early Wednesday, noting: “I will continue to work with our manager and (police) chief...We are reaching out to community to ask for calm.”

In addition to Interstate 85, protestors attacked and looted the Walmart on North Tryon Street at about 3:30 a.m. The store was closed early Wednesday, with wooden pallets piled in front of the doors and shopping carts blocking the driveway into the lot.

Three or more tractor trailer trucks were stopped and looted on Interstate 85, and at least two fires were started on the interstate, as the protestors burned items taken from the trucks.

Motorists were reportedly stuck on Interstate 85 for hours at the height of the protests, which ignited at a time when the nation has seen a spate of police shootings of black men, which has led to protests from Ferguson, Mo., to Tulsa to Chicago and started the Black Lives Matter movement.

Police have not released details on how many people were arrested, but some media outlets were reporting five people were taken into custody. The neighborhood where the incident occurred was quiet Wednesday, aside from a large media presence.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...#storylink=cpy
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

I think this is the one that was simply sitting in his car, reading waiting for his son to get off the bus?

Even though I am not black, I can relate to this one. I used to get harassed by cops for waiting for my son in a old pick up truck. It is really terrible, and if that's all he was doing, the cop does need to be charged.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,105 Times in 580 Posts
White, black, or yellow - it is becoming time to start shooting looters, thieves, and violent protesters. This is not a racial thing - it is an issue of simple Law and Order.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,341 Times in 2,438 Posts
Flowerchild said ...
Quote:
the cop does need to be charged.
Awww you are just saying that because the Cop was black .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

No riots over the Philly (black, female) cop who was ambushed in her patrol car last week.

I guess some black lives matter more than others.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
driveshesaid (09-22-2016), lisa (09-22-2016), NowVoyager (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,021 Times in 2,639 Posts
I've listened to a number of reports on this so far.

The police says he got out of his car with a gun. His family says he had no gun.

This is where the provable facts become crucial.
NowVoyager (09-21-2016), rryan (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
A.T. Hagan

Police say black 'disabled' man shot dead by Charlotte cop 'ignored repeated orders to drop his gun' after brother's claims he was holding a book prompted night of riots which left 16 cops injured

Keith Lamont Scott, 43, was shot dead by police in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Tuesday
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said they recovered a gun from his vehicle after the deadly shooting
Claims from his brother that he was only reading a book sparked riots near the scene of the shooting
Police Chief Kerr Putney said how the shooting unfolded is 'very different' to how it is being portrayed
City officials have now pleaded for peace and calm, with more protests planned for Wednesday evening
Officer Brentley Vinson, who is also black, was identified as the one who shot Scott and he has been placed on administrative leave as is standard procedure in officer-involved shootings
On Tuesday night, police in riot gear confronted protesters and deployed tear gas to disperse the crowds
Police said 16 officers were injured during the protests, including one who was hit in the face with a rock

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ding-book.html
Old 09-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 1,993 Times in 893 Posts
German and Russian secret services working full time
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #9
Ross
Lifetime Member

Quote:
“The officers gave loud, clear verbal commands that were also heard by many of the witnesses.
They were instructing the subject, once he got out of the vehicle, to drop the weapon.
Despite the verbal commands, Mr. Scott exited the vehicle as the officers continued to yell at him to drop it.
He stepped out, posing a threat to the officers, and Officer Brentley Vinson subsequently fired his weapon,
striking the subject.”
Quote:
The chief went on to describe what was found at the scene. “I can tell you a weapon was seized, a handgun,
I can also tell you we did not find a book that was made reference to. We did find a weapon,
and the witnesses corroborated it to, beyond just the officers.”

Reference source

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Old 09-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
leistb
There's no justice - it's just us

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,192 Posts
Default State of Emergency Declared

Source:

Quote:
Governor calls out National Guard

CHARLOTTE, N.C.
Protests turned violent for a second night in Charlotte after Tuesday’s fatal police shooting of a black man. Late Wednesday, Gov. Pat McCrory declared a state of emergency for the city and deployed the National Guard and State Highway Patrol troopers to assist local police.

One person was shot at the protest and was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, Medic said. The city initially reported that he died, but later retracted that, saying he was on life-support.

Medic said on Twitter that it was treating the patient for a gunshot wound en route to Carolinas Medical Center at about 8:45 p.m.

The person was shot in the area of North College and East Trade streets.
More at the link...
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Ross
Lifetime Member

Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

Supposedly there was a group of preachers, priests, etc, at the protest who claim the police shot the protester point blank in the head with a rubber bullet. If anyone got that on film, it would be pretty serious.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Everything was being filmed last night by everyone - reporters surrounded by "protesters" with phones capturing their handiwork.

My guess is that would have gone ballistic by now if accurate.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Everything was being filmed last night by everyone - reporters surrounded by "protesters" with phones capturing their handiwork.

My guess is that would have gone ballistic by now if accurate.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
andy
Senior Level 5

The United States of America clearly suffers from a lack of leadership. The core values of part of the population are based on entitlement. The lack of critical thinking and lack of common sense, matched with a total disregard for the laws of the United States of America suggest that we may be entering a period of unrest marked by anarchy financed by segments of the Democratic party to secure votes (Soros).

It is not clear how Soros' financing these violent acts brings the country closer to Globalization other than stacking up minority votes to the side of the Pro-Globalization groups(Clinton).

This might be where the air of conspiracy is applicable in that there are large sums of money to be acquired through the mechanical application of Globalization and the transition away from Nationalism. The aim might be the redistribution of wealth, power, and control away from multiple countries toward a Central Authority (other that the United Nations).

The Democratic Party, and Soros specifically, is actively publically working to further the Global agenda. Whereas, the Republican Party, and Trump specifically, is working towards Nationalistic Identity.

Therefor, we can potentially see current events as a visual battle for the hearts and minds of the electorate to choose between States Rights, and National Identity as opposed to Federal Authority and the eventual Central Global Control in what potentially could be termed Ultra-Totalitarianism.

The anarchy we see on the streets financed by the Globalists, unchecked by sincere Leadership, will create a "rebound" effect in direct proportion to the anarchy created. Examples of this rebound will be greater use of technology to intrude on the individuals rights and will give unchecked control - over the Individual's right to Liberty - to increasingly fewer people in a future World Government. Another example of this transition is the close relationship between the Federal Government (Obama, et al.) and the figure heads and financial leaders of the rank and file social antagonists (Brown Shirts). This incestuous relationship eases communications and control over the activities to insure the messages are on target. Another clue is the total lack of National leadership to prevent death and destruction, and yet the promotion of "The Message". The Federal Government is increasingly working to control state and local governments and to consolidate police enforcement under Federal control.

This transition will likely occur in any event - but, great efforts are being made to do it "sooner, rather than later". There are powerful international interests trying to gain control over our country through the political ranks at the highest level using anarchy and racism as tools on the streets. At some point, the populace will surrender "control" over their rights to fight the manufactured anarchy. This will be the start of Global Authority over the individual. This will mark the beginning of the rise of Global Totalitarianism.

Americans, protect your rights as allowed by the Constitution, and beware the use of technology to invade your life and control your activities. Keep your children close and your guns closer. And above ALL, hold the Constitution as tight as your Life - for they are intrinsically connected.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,335 Times in 632 Posts
https://twitter.com/LibertarianQn/st...45840496594944

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/statu...87322141765632

http://heavy.com/news/2016/09/keith-...-lives-matter/

Yes, this is definitely all about white cops abusing blacks.

Maybe it's time for a "fire hoses matter" counter protest.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rryan For This Useful Post:
leistb (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,670 Times in 1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
Supposedly there was a group of preachers, priests, etc, at the protest who claim the police shot the protester point blank in the head with a rubber bullet. If anyone got that on film, it would be pretty serious.
I had CNN on in the wee hours of the morning. Even CNN said it was unknown if the protester was shot by police, or another protester.

Given that police usually admit to it when they shoot someone, for now I'm going with protester shot by protester, until facts emerge. As for point blank shooting in the head on the part of police, that kind of defies logic in riot tactics, no?
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,670 Times in 1,773 Posts
Quote:
Around 8:30 p.m., a civilian fired a pistol indiscriminately into a crowd of dozens outside the hotel, turned and ran, leaving a man laying on the ground in a pool of blood on the sidewalk. There was a loud pop, then panic and confusion. Standing about 10 yards away, I looked down the barrel of a pistol. Several people were screaming, saying someone was shot in the head and a crowd quickly formed around the victim, a black male. I thought to myself, “Oh my God, why?” Breathing heavily, I called 911, pacing around in the street. I could be the person on life support. The bullet had whizzed past me. But here I was, still breathing, and reporting this tragic news unfolding in front of me.

The shooter, a black male, was standing at the intersection of East Trade and South College streets with the weapon still aimed. He turned and ran. Emergency personnel arrived about five minutes later.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...charlotte.html
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rb. For This Useful Post:
rryan (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #19
andy
Senior Level 5

No, I do not think it is about cops attacking blacks, it is about people being paid to create a conflict about cops attacking blacks. Your reaction is exactly what is supposed to occur. There is going to be a violent (and programmed, expected, predicted, planned) reaction to all of this by the "State" out of self preservation. This will bring about a much higher degree of electronic surveillance by the Government as well as a very heavy handed application of force. You will hear the words "Marshal Law" a lot as the Federal Government (Globalists) start to gain control over the Government of The United States of America. It has to be done legally. The way to do that is to create a problem that requires a "Strong Measure" to CONTINUOUSLY control the population. This "control" will be in the form of limiting freedom.

Paradoxically, I find myself on the side of the rioters. I am against a strong Federal Government. The rioters are against the perceived strong-armed tactics of the local police. Unfortunately for the rioters, they are being used by Soros(et al.) to promote the Clinton (et al.) global agenda. Most of the people being shot are shot because they are putting themselves in danger. The truth always comes out. Their reaction is the promotion of anarchy - which accomplishes nothing but violence. The difference here is that the protestors are picking the wrong cases and are creating an atmosphere that will cause the Federal Government to intervene with the support of the scared voters. When that happens - the Globalists will make inroads.

Just watch. Events will occur based on a false story. Those events will become increasingly violent. The National Guard will be commonly used and the Federal Government will increasingly take over State's responsibilities. Federal leaders will gain more power from the States. Citizens right will be increasingly limited and technology will be used to monitor and control the population. Welcome to Nazi Germany, East Berlin, China, ad nausium. Welcome to the new normal.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #20
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
I had CNN on in the wee hours of the morning. Even CNN said it was unknown if the protester was shot by police, or another protester.

Given that police usually admit to it when they shoot someone, for now I'm going with protester shot by protester, until facts emerge. As for point blank shooting in the head on the part of police, that kind of defies logic in riot tactics, no?
Apparently they were quite close. It will be easy to find out. They are claiming it was a rubber bullet. I think it would be easy to tell what he was shot with.

It isn't looking too good right now. The police chief just said the tape they have doesn't definitively corroborate with their version of events. Usually the police will very quickly release the tapes if it backs up what happened.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
leistb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
Usually the police will very quickly release the tapes if it backs up what happened.
Not if it's an active investigation. Due process takes precedent over satisfying public thirst for knowledge.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #22
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

Yes, that's true, but many other police departments have released tapes early in the investigation.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #23
A.T. Hagan

In NC state it takes a court order to release such tapes from what I read today.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

I'm starting to think that these dash-cam and body cam tapes cause as much trouble as they prevent.

Except on the rare occasion where everything that happens is in clear view, and good audio is captured, each side will make of it what they will.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #25
leistb

Source:

Quote:
Confirming what many had suspected when viewing the sudden and intense collapse into anrchy that occurred in Charlotte this week, Todd Walther, spokesman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Fraternal Order of Police told CNN's Erin Burnett:

"This is not Charlotte that's out here. These are outside entities that are coming in and causing these problems. These are not protestors, these are criminals."

"We've got the instigators that are coming in from the outside. They were coming in on buses from out of state. If you go back and look at some of the arrests that were made last night. I can about say probably 70% of those had out-of-state IDs. They're not coming from Charlotte."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leistb For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (09-22-2016), Antropologo (09-22-2016), Ross (09-23-2016)

Tags
charlotte, tbmfp, trouble