Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Ross
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,500 Times in 850 Posts
Default I demand that this is true .

This is probably some marketing ploy but I do not care , I want to believe it .
Quote:
Candy Canes Fight Germs, Settle Stomachs

Dec. 24, 2008 -- New studies on peppermint, the key flavoring in traditional candy canes, reveal the herb may do everything from kill germs to treat digestive troubles.

Some researchers now advise consumers to eat a tablespoon or more of fresh peppermint, and other green herbs, daily.

Peppermint oil, found in most candy canes, also appears to have health benefits. A recent British Medical Journal study, led by McMaster University researcher Alex Ford, concludes that peppermint oil should be the first line of defense against irritable bowel syndrome, a condition characterized by abdominal pain and irregular bowels that affects between 5 to 20 percent of the population.

Peppermint oil, and other potent essential oils, may even one day be wafted in their vapor form over food to prevent the growth of bacteria.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/1...nes-germs.html
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
ukmum

Peppermint oil does help IBS, Iv;e tried it and it works....not in candy canes though which have too much sugar!
ukmum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

From about 1995 to about 2002, I bought loads of Frisk breath mints. They contain a whole lot of peppermint oil, so much so that many people couldn't stand them in their mouths they are so hot. During that time, I had absolutely no gastro problems. I stopped buying them for two reasons. First, they're about $2 a pack, and second, very few retailers carried them because of their price, so they were hard to find. I've had major gastro issues since then, but I've also heard that with my reflux, I should NOT eat peppermint as it will exacerbate the hyper-acidity. I'm tempted to find them again, and give it a try.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Peppermint oil is long known to be good for stomach discomfort. I have my doubts about its antibiotic properties, though, when taken internally in doses that our bodies can easily tolerate. Your digestive system depends entirely upon having a healthy digestive bacteria colony to digest your food. That is why you need to take acidopholous supplements when you are taking antibiotics. If peppermint oil laid waste to your stomach bacteria, it would harm your digestion instead of helping it. I suppose it is possible that peppermint oil could be a more specific agent that harms only certain kinds of bacteria; the bad kind.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

Funny this is coming up now. My brother was visiting over Christmas and went to a pizza shop where he used to work more than 30 years ago. The same family still owns it. He brought home some pizza and they had put some small candy canes in with the order. I ate them about a week ago and realized not only how good they tasted, but that my stomach felt better. I also noticed some appetite suppression, too. So, I bought several boxes at the after-Christmas sale price of 64 cents per box of 12 (they are large, about 7 inches long). I have one each evening and have definitely noticed that I am less hungry for quite a few hours afterwards. Is peppermint known as an appetite suppressant?
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

nyf:
Quote:
"Is peppermint known as an appetite suppressant?"
Nope. But remember when your mom told you after school not to eat that candy, because it would spoil your dinner (i.e., your appetite)? She was right.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

You are probably right about that! But I eat other candy and don't notice the long period of time (5-6 hours) until I am hungry again like I do with peppermint. That's why I asked.
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Just don't pay any attention to them Ross. Eat your candy canes and tell yourself they will make you healthy and they will. NYF has the right idea.
Just brush your teeth really well after you eat each one.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 AM   #9
Ben Franklin
Founding Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
....I've had major gastro issues since then, but I've also heard that with my reflux, I should NOT eat peppermint as it will exacerbate the hyper-acidity. I'm tempted to find them again, and give it a try.
It won't increase acidity, but it does relax the muscle tone of the digestive system, and thus acid is released more readily from the stomach (same as with alcohol - try peppermint schnapps for a double whammy).

I think the first line of defense against irritable bowel syndrome should be yogurt, since that's a cure, but there's no reason not to have plenty of peppermint tea to treat symptoms along the way to a cure.

Peppermint tea is of course better than the massive sugar load in a candy cane or mints. Simply partly dry the leaves and drop them into boiling hot water for a few minutes (or use a commercial peppermint tea bag if you must cheat.)

Peppermint grows as a weed, if you stay aware on your walks into the countryside you might even sniff out a patch.

It also offers some utility as a mosquito repellant, though some other members of the mint family are better for that.

Finally and very importantly in a world that may become scarce in tranquilizers, it can calm the nerves in case of high anxiety or panic attacks. It's especially useful to drink it in combination with chamomile for that, which also grows wild (amazingly enough, often in the cracks of city sidewalks).

Ben Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 AM   #10
gsgs
searching for truth

I remember, that peppermint is often mentioned as one of the
things to avoid when you have gastro-esophageal reflux.

also tomatoes,onions

I don't know, what effect they have
Old 01-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #11
Therese
Member Level 4

When it comes to reflux, I have had it so bad, that I have almost landed in the hospital with what felt like intense angina.

The only thing I found to get rid of it, not just control it, but actually get rid of it, is a super whole food called Green Vibrance. Once a day did it - it started having effect immediately. The change was dramatic.

If I stop using it, eventually the reflux will start up again, mildly, but a soon as I take it, it is gone and doesn't come back for quite a while.

I use it in its powder form. I find that it is so popular, that discount sites run out of it very quickly.
Therese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
Teal
Not Active

I found the reason for my heartburn years ago: bleached flour. I began to realize that's what caused it the first time I lowcarbed. I've never read about this as a cause.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
It won't increase acidity, but it does relax the muscle tone of the digestive system, and thus acid is released more readily from the stomach (same as with alcohol - try peppermint schnapps for a double whammy).

I think the first line of defense against irritable bowel syndrome should be yogurt, since that's a cure, but there's no reason not to have plenty of peppermint tea to treat symptoms along the way to a cure.

Peppermint tea is of course better than the massive sugar load in a candy cane or mints. Simply partly dry the leaves and drop them into boiling hot water for a few minutes (or use a commercial peppermint tea bag if you must cheat.)
The hops in beer are not only sedative, they are good for IBS. Been used as medicine alone and in combination with other herbs i.e. valerian for milennia. How do you spell milennia?
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
Ben Franklin
Founding Father

You almost had it, Liz - millenia. Seems to me that beers have gotten hoppier (more bitter) over the last few decades.

Ben Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

BTW, peppermint Altoids are loaded with peppermint oil. You can get those just about anywhere.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
Mikala
Perpetually Perturbed

I use peppermint oil for IBS, helps better than anything the doc has given me.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
Arianwen
This runner/cyclist fueled by Irish Tea

Peppermint tea is good for angry stomachs etc. Learned that one from my mom...I think I read you should drink it after meals to help with digestion?

I tend to drink spearmint which doesn't work as well, as I find the bitterness of peppermint to be unpleasant.

Tags
demand, true