Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness > Armory

Armory Our modern, fully-stocked armory is where enthusiasts gather to discuss shooting and other martial arts, and related subjects.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #126
jason
Official Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Again, being in the business, I think drones should be banned. Additionally, there should be a mandatory prison sentence for unauthorized flights. Because of the current availability of the technology, we may now have to implement defensive strategies to protect the public. These defensive strategies - though very fallible in their infancy, would cost about a few trillion. We don't have that kind of money - so ban drones before they kill us and destroy our way of life.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

If you're being serious:

1. Remote controlled toys are nothing new.

2. Many people say drone when speaking about multicopters, if you're in that camp, consider that you can carry a much bigger payload using a fixed wing aircraft.

3. The amount of explosives or payload of any sort is dwarfed by what you could carry in a uhaul. The Oklahoma bombing should show you proof of that.

4. Terrorists don't seem to be concerned about their own safty. So back to point #3, they don't need "drones", they will just get a plane, car, bus, or whatever and pilot it themselves. Less chance of something going wrong and much higher payload capacity.

Quote:
A cheap drone attack ($50,000), could alter life as we have become accustom. It can not be prevented. It can not be mitigated. It is going to happen. Gee, I am scaring myself.
This is a paranoid delusion. I can come up with a dozen things that could do much more damage than remote controlled toys without batting an eye.

Quote:
First, I would shut down the factory that makes the motors. Then, I would have a "buy-back" program. Then I would pass a law stating that possession of a motor would be a mandatory 5 year prison sentence.
Since we're talking about crazy terrorists who are using drones for evil, you can slap a motor from a hard drive into a fixed wing plane and it will function as well as the purpose built motor you buy from China for $15. You can also pull a motor from a desk fan with the same result. How does your plan resolve these situations? Ban fans and hard drives too?

Quote:
Then, I would beef up security at the borders - but that will not help. Then I would set up very powerful RF jammers in all of the cities. Unfortunately, with the exception of the jammers, nothing will really work. Despite them not working - at least it will appear that somebody is doing something.
You can piggyback signal on a mobile network (several companies do this for extended range, though I think its a silly way to go since mobile networks are notorious for signal loss). So you'd also have to ban cell networks and cell phones. Then you'll find they will move to another frequency, maybe to the point of frequencies we can hear. Going to blast audible sounds non stop everywhere too?

Quote:
This is really disturbing me.

John, Steinbeck, on accepting the Nobel Prize said that nuclear weapons were like giving a child a loaded gun. Drones are like giving an Armory to the thugs in Ferguson.
I don't often see a post I consider WTF, but this is a WTF.

Here is some video footage of people flying RC planes in the 1950's. By your logic, shortly after that video was taken, the world would have ended.

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #127
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,762 Posts
Yes it was kind of crazy but there were valid elements within
his post .

There is currently not much to stop a hobbyist making high load
drones and delivering them on target ( for a brief period )
until they catch him . That is , if you discount skill and deep pockets.

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #128
jason
Official Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Yes it was kind of crazy but there were valid elements within
his post .

There is currently not much to stop a hobbyist making high load
drones and delivering them on target for a brief period
( until they catch him ) . That is , if you discount skill and deep pockets.

You forgot:

1. Prone to error and failure.

2. Renting a U-haul costs $25. Timothy McVeigh parked it and walked away casually.

3. Have you ever tried to unload a massive RC plane or multicopter? Its not something you're going to do without being seen and noticed.

You guys should be worried about what happens if the moon crashes into the earth. Think about the devastation. Think about earth's orbit around the sun, and the effects on the tides and sea life. It could literally be the end of the world, and you guys are sitting around talking about RC planes.

If a terrorist wants to get in on the drone paranoia, I guess thats something they could do to leverage the media for propaganda, but their damage will be significantly decreased, so in a way that would be good.

Its just like people worried about cyber attacks on websites. Go for it! Hacking a website beats real war any day in my book.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #129
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,762 Posts
Quote:
.....You guys should be worried about what happens if the moon crashes
into the earth.......
Well thanks for that , how did you know it was a major
preoccupation of mine .

Need I point out that it was Andys post not mine .

I totally agree that for terror it is currently much
easier to simply walk in to your target shooting or park a
truck of explosives outside . Precisely what ISIS currently
do , but have you noticed how often they use drones
for reconnaissance over the target first .

With respect I think you are overlooking how the
legal process actually works . Politicians do what
makes them popular then look for justifying logic .

One day some jerk will manage to kill people with a drone ,
on day 2 little old ladies will be ringing radio stations and
and refusing to send micro-mutt to his creche , etc etc .
On day 3 politicians will be feeling pressure to act .
On day 4 they will announce competing levels of idiocy .

Which means you can probably kiss your current levels of
freedom goodbye . Expect more rules , transponders ,
registration , pilot training blah blah blah .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 09-06-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #130
BuilderBob

Ross, was looking for info on 'supercapacitors' and this thread came up.

Check out http://www.supercapacitors.org

Battery life for all sorts of gizmos about to take on a new life.

Last edited by BuilderBob; 12-06-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thread, uav