Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > Outside the Box

Outside the Box Not necessarily the news, anything oddball fits in here.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #501
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Thanked 1,177 Times in 488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Nothing to see here .

What is the police union complaining about . More criminals means
more work , more overtime , more union members. This trend is a
gold mine , stop your whining .

Full article here.

Every police service in Canada is under-resourced and overworked. Believe me, nobody needs more criminals coming across the border to justify having work to do.

Most of the discourse around our refugee issue up here is based in ignorance of what's actually going on and how it works. All of these people crossing the border illegally ARE being arrested, mostly by RCMP, sometimes by the Canadian Border Services Agency, and are being handed off to the appropriate processes for determining admissibility. It takes time. We will see the vast majority of them punted back south of the border.

You simply cannot effectively secure a border like the one we share with the U.S. It is what it is, it's problem we're stuck dealing with.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #502
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
BMO Bundles Uninsured Mortgages in a Canadian Bond First

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rtgage-support

Uninsured mortgages means a minimum 20% down on the purchase price at time of mortgage origination.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #503
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,902 Times in 2,918 Posts
Cosplay goes bad for gamer in Grande Prairie

RCMP costume
When the incident ended, RCMP had the man's elaborate costume. (William Vavrek Photography)
It was almost game over in Grande Prairie this week for a cosplay enthusiast.

Dressed as a character from Fallout, a popular post-apocalyptic video game series, the man walked down a street wearing a gas mask, helmet, armour and bullet belt.

He carried a flag that said "New California Republic" — one of the factions from the games.

fallout
A man dressed as a character from the Fallout video-game series walks down a street in Grande Prairie. (Kyle Martel/Facebook)

RCMP Cpl. Shawn Graham told CBC News that police received calls just before 5 p.m. Tuesday from citizens concerned the man was wearing what looked like a bomb on his back.

At least eight officers responded with their long guns drawn. Photos show them crouched behind vehicles and bushes.

"He was observed going into a business, so the RCMP members were able to safely remove the staff members from the business," Graham said.

The business was Lynn's Alterations at Bell Tower Plaza. The owner, Hoa Huynh, said the man wanted some alterations to the costume.

Huynh said he was preparing to take measurements when the RCMP called and asked if he could see any wires on the man. He says police then told him to leave out the back door. He did.

Officer with long gun
An RCMP officer stands behind a cruiser with a rifle at the ready during Tuesday's incident in Grande Prairie. (William Vavrek Photography)

Graham said RCMP soon made contact with the costumed man.

"Through conversation with the male they were able to determine that he was wearing a costume and there was no threat to the public," he said.

What had looked like a bomb turned out to be several Pringles potato chips cans that were painted silver.

The man was taken into custody but later released without any charges.

Photos appear to show officers smiling and laughing after the incident was resolved.

"We have to believe everything is real until proven otherwise," said Graham. "In the end you've got a good feeling after going, 'OK, there wasn't a bomb, there was no intent to do anything criminal, it's just someone with their costume.'"

RCMP officers laughing
Grande Prairie RCMP officers enjoy a lighter moment after an incident involving a man dressed as a video-game character. (William Vavrek Photography)

Graham thinks it should serve as a warning to others who enjoy cosplay that police will assume fake weapons are real.

"There's a time and a place for it," he said, pointing out that costumes are OK at conventions and similar events.

"Wandering around downtown [is] maybe not the place to do it."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...play-1.4070387
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #504
rb.

Pringles are bad for you.

Feather (04-17-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #505
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,212 Times in 3,061 Posts
The most Canadian thing ever? Mystery as BEAVER is filmed rounding up a herd of cattle and leading them around a ranch

A video posted to Facebook shows a beaver leading a herd of cattle on a ranch
The bizarre scene unfolded Friday in Saskatchewan, Canada
The video shows a beaver slowly walking through a field followed by 150 cows
When the beaver pauses all of the cows also stop until the beaver walks again
Owner of the ranch, Adrienne Ivey, said it was 'the most Canadian thing ever'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...le-Canada.html

The video shows a huge group of cows all huddled together and following around
a beaver

What? No maple syrup?
AndreaCA (04-18-2017), Feather (04-18-2017), linttrap (05-26-2017), Ross (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #506
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,763 Posts

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
rb. (04-18-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #507
Potemkin

Air Canada plane loses wheel en route from Montreal to London
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ndon-1.4073463
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Sonny (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #508
Sonny
Star Witness

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a7d012c&opt=0

A better pic of right landing gear w/missing wheel.
Air Canada A330-300

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a7d012c&opt=0

Incident: Canada A333 at Montreal on Apr 16th 2017, dropped main wheel on departure

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Apr 18th 2017 21:40Z, last updated Wednesday, Apr 19th 2017 00:11ZAn Air Canada Airbus A330-300, registration C-GFUR performing flight AC-864 from Montreal,QC (Canada) to London Heathrow,EN (UK) with 294 people on board, departed Montreal's runway 06R and completed what appeared to be an uneventful flight with a safe landing on Heathrow's runway 27R about 5:45 hours after departure.

Ground personnel discovered the right forward outboard main wheel was missing.

The return flight AC865 of Apr 17th was cancelled.

A search for the wheel recovered the wheel from the end of Montreal's runway 06R.
(glad another plane didn't hit the wheel while taking off.)

The airline confirmed the wheel was lost during takeoff. Canada's TSB is assessing the information available to decide whether to open an investigation.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in London about 40 hours after landing.
~
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #509
A.T. Hagan

The smirking prostitutes and grinning madams of Montreal: 1940s mugshots reveal the women who turned the city into a sex capital

Montreal became known as the sex capital of North America as brothels were set up after the First World War
Prohibition in America drove those looking for a good time over the border, and business boomed in the city
But after Prohibition ended, the industry turned seedy, and authorities moved in to clear the prostitutes out
Taken between 1939 and 1945, these mugshots reveal the faces of that industry as it was being dismantled

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Montreal.html

These are the women who made Montreal into a sex capital. None
was more powerful than Anna Labelle. She was arrested for the last
time in 1939 (pictured) but went regularly to court in a Cadillac and
wrapped in mink to free her mangers

Oo la la!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #510
Potemkin

Man, those are some rough women.

Onanism would be preferable.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #511
Ross
Lifetime Member

Quote:
A Nova Scotia man trying to change himself into a woman
is upset because the Liberal government doesn’t pay for
breast implants.

Source article .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Old 04-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #512
Ross
Lifetime Member

Canadian Mortgage Lender

Nothing to see here , just a boring old bank run and share price plunge .

Dullsville really . Ho hum .

More detail here .

Old 04-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #513
rb.

Home Capital is not a real bank by Canadian standards, they are an alt/subprime mortgage co. Anyone who deposited with them for "high" interest on savings knew the score and risk. They are generally jumpers, who continually move between second or third tier institutions for short-term HISAs every year or so, depending on who has the best offer. The circuit is usually Home, Tangerine (old Ally Bank), Oaken, etc. These "savers" know exactly the score. If they wanted real safety, they would have chosen one of the Big 5 banks.

Home is being bailed out/backstopped by HOOPP, one of my father's pensions. I've been watching closely since then.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #514
rb.

It continues to astound me that so many Zerohedge posters are so woefully uneducated about the Canadian banking and mortgage systems, yet post with such authority. Laughable.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #515
Ross
Lifetime Member

Quote:
It continues to astound me that so many Zerohedge posters are so woefully uneducated about
the Canadian banking and mortgage systems, yet post with such authority. Laughable.
I was aware it was not a bank , the article itself makes that clear and
I merely repeated the language used in the article headline itself .
Quote:
Panic Bank Run Leaves Canada's Largest Alternative Mortgage Lender On Edge Of Collapse
As for posting with authority , I made no serious comment about the
situation .

As far as I am concerned the post was made for entertainment purposes
and for me this is a fun thread .

I confess to knowing almost zip about the Canadian financial situation
and hope I have not suggested otherwise .

Last edited by Ross; 04-30-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #516
rb.

Sorry for the confusion, Ross. My comments were not regarding you, but the commenters at Zerohedge. I very much enjoy your posts, financial included.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #517
Ross
Lifetime Member

My error , I scanned your post too hastily . Thank-you .

To me the interesting takeaway is that rescue funds came from a Pension
Fund . Which makes me wonder whether your Canadian legal system really
allows that Fund first claim to selected assets in the event of a collapse .
I would have expected all ordinary creditors to be treated equally under
Canadian law .

Old 04-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #518
rb.

From the quick bit I've read the last few days, Ross, HOOPP does have first right in recovering its original loan amount. Not certain of the actual laws, or even the areas...bankruptcy, CCAA law, investment, Bank Act, etc.

I do think, however, it is more than likely going to be fine in the end. I read a while ago that delinquincy on these mortgages was quite low. Could an economic bomb go off, and collapse it? Sure, but that could happen with anything in our house of cards societies. If everyone loses their job, regardless of how well backed their mortgages are, poof! Forced sales galore. If prices remain up, or go higher?

One thing to note, and I did a bit of research on this not long ago... We have immigration numbers of 300,000 per year. If you mesh our death and birth numbers, there is a slight (IIRC) positive gain between the two. IIRC, a conservative number of 75,000 new households (houses, apartments or condos) are needed per year, when all numbers taken into account, in a country of roughly 35 million people. If you figure in that most immigrants go to cities that are already in bubble territory, I only see huge interest rate increases affecting prices in a drastic way, peaking 5 years AFTER the high rates appear. Most Canadians have 5 year, fixed rates, that reset.
Ross (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #519
Ross
Lifetime Member

Yes one must assume they have checked the legal situation is safe .

Presumably because pension funds rate above than other creditors .

Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #520
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,318 Times in 994 Posts

Quote:
A beaver that may have packed on a little too much weight over the winter was saved by an animal services officer yesterday, after it was found stuck between the bars of a wrought-iron fence at a residence in lower Stoney Creek.

Animal services officer Sarah Mombourquette showed up at the home on Grays road around noon yesterday to find an adult beaver that was "carrying excess fat from a long winter," the city says, and wedged between the bars.

"Unfortunately for this beaver, his sharp incisors were not helpful in cutting through‎ the iron fence," a city news release reads.

"He landed, as the Canadian-ism goes, arse over teakettle through the fence onto a lower section of ground and couldn't pull his rear-end through with his tiny front paws."

Mombourquette was able to shimmy the beaver out of the tight situation by using soap as a lubricant.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...aver-1.4086804

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-02-2017), flourbug (05-02-2017), Ross (05-03-2017), spinnerholic (05-04-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:15 AM   #521
Ross
Lifetime Member

Toronto Star and the demise of Canada

Explained here by the people on Twitter .

Needless to say they are not impressed .

Sadly most younger people do not even understand they are left of centre
or that unacknowledged bias , censorship , ignorance and spin in reporting
are less than virtuous . In their minds they have a moral duty to ''make a
difference'' which in action translates to slavishly promoting their
political heroes words , deeds and ideology .

Last edited by Ross; 06-06-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #522
A.T. Hagan

‘They’re too hot to handle!’ Feverish fans claim Justin Trudeau and Emmanuel Macron look 'so in love' as they finally meet at a G7 summit in Sicily... and even suggest the pair should film romantic comedy together
Quote:
Canadian PM and French President met in Sicily, Italy, on Friday for G7 summit.
Fans insisted liberal-left pair looked 'so in love' during stroll through gardens
Some said they seemed about to kiss as they 'gazed adoringly' at each other
When Macron was first elected he and Trudeau were dubbed 'hottest politicians'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-meeting.html

One even joked: 'This image of Trudeau and Macron in Sicily is
right out of a liberal fantasy dream sequence'
linttrap (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #523
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,318 Times in 994 Posts
Quote:
In a clash of Canadian icons, a hungry Newfoundland moose destroyed a Maple Leaf tulip display planted to mark Canada 150 celebrations.

The intruder left tell-tale hoof prints as it laid waste to hundreds of sprouting plants at the Memorial University of Newfoundland Botanical Garden in St. John's, N.L.

"You can imagine what a botanical garden is to moose in spring," said horticulturalist Tim Walsh.

"It's a giant salad bar. When they finally find these delicious, sweet tulip leaves after a winter of eating nothing but fir branches and tree bark, these tulips must have been a very sweet meal."

Walsh said volunteers helped plant about 800 bulbs last fall that were to bloom as a white Maple Leaf against a red background. The donated tulips came from P.E.I.-based company Veseys Bulbs, which contributed to celebration gardens across Canada.

But staff arrived at the botanical garden last week to find a mess of stalks chewed down to the soil.

Photos posted to Facebook have spawned many quips about the munching moose that ruined Canada Day.

Walsh said there's still a good chance the bulbs will sprout new plants that will flower next year -- if they can keep moose that live in surrounding forests from feasting on them.

"As gardeners, you have to be resilient. You have to look at the bright side of things.

"If you're going to have tulips in your garden and if you're going to lose them, what better Canadian way than to lose them to the moose?"
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/moose-d...play-1.3429229

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-26-2017), flourbug (05-26-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:19 AM   #524
Ross
Lifetime Member

That moose was protecting Canada from an invasive species ( Tulips ) .
You Canadians have no understanding of the way a Moose thinks ,
try to imagine you are a big dumb ugly patriotic horny animal .
( Oh wait , what did I say , let me think about that ) .

Last edited by Ross; 05-27-2017 at 03:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #525
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Thanked 1,177 Times in 488 Posts
Moose are giant assholes, quite churlish, sometimes violent, and most definitely unwilling to cede the right of way on roadways. They kill a decent number of people each year in crashes. By all rights they should be native to Australia, like most deadly and malevolent wildlife.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brihard For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (05-30-2017), Ross (05-28-2017), rryan (06-01-2017)

Tags
canada