Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #26
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,379 Times in 524 Posts
I think naming them Chops, Bacon and Sausage would help make their eventual demise easier... ;-)
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
oldasrocks

If you name them you will never be able to eat them.
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #28
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,704 Times in 4,663 Posts
We raised three piglets. At first they were adorable. Then I found out how MEAN pigs can be. I named them, I Hate You, I Hate You More, and I Hate You the Most. It was the first and last time I dealt with pigs because even their meat was nasty.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #29
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,126 Times in 3,024 Posts
I'm not worried about naming them. Before much longer they'll have grown out of their cute phase. A few days of having to feed and water them (I usually do this) will soon convince them they're delicious.

This weekend I bring home the hog panels to build their dedicated pen. Not looking forward to all the trenching! But sweat now is sweat I won't have to put out when the damned things get out because they won't be able to.

Last weekend I partially disassembled the original MK. 1 chicken tractor that I retired about a year and a half ago. It's twelve years old now and the lower wood finally rotted out to the point it wasn't serviceable any longer. I pulled off the next box, roosts, and the lower wood then moved it to where the pen will be. There I'll frame the bottom in with treated 2x12s (a 2x6 in the front) to give them rain shelter. The pen location is under trees in the middle of my pasture where I can't easily pull chicken tractors through, but close enough to get water to it and near enough for the dog to hear any commotion in the unlikely event of a predator large enough to be a threat to them should get in.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #30
Sonny
Star Witness

In Jr High there was a guy who worked in the school's cafeteria who had pigs. He would collect the food students didn't eat where we'd drop off our trays.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #31
A.T. Hagan

When I was a boy I helped my grandfather on occasion pick up plate scrapings and whatnot from an institutional cafeteria for pig feed.

It can be an excellent source of free feed, but it has to be cooked first before it can be fed out. Not sure it can be legally used for producing pork that will be sold anymore.
Sonny (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #32
A.T. Hagan

Brought home the hog panels to build the pen today. Also larger feed and water pans. Cut brush in the pen area then moved the old chicken tractors to where I want it. Tomorrow I start digging the trenches. I'm going to have a double after supper tomorrow night!
AndreaCA (03-05-2017), Feather (03-05-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #33
A.T. Hagan

It's been a while since I posted any pig pictures. Crabbe, Goyle, and Nick have been growing apace.

They're *slowly* calming down. I can stand inside the pen with them now as they eat and come within a few feet, if I move slowly, before they bolt.

They're pigs, so they do like their feed!

Crabbe is the black and white one. He's still the shyest and most suspicious.

They and the dog are coming to a detente. Pippin just wants to play with them.

Naturally, they wanted none of that!

They'll all stand nose to nose at the fence now in silent communication.

Of course as soon as I tried to photo all of them together the dog ran off...

A nice profile shot. Crabbe is pretty much a classic Hampshire. If I keep any of them to breed with it will probably be him.

They create a lot of feed dust from crushing the pellets so I keep it in a bucket for later use. Once a day I put down a pan of slop consisting of the the feed dust, whatever scraps I may have on hand, and water to mix it with. They know what that red pan means!

Their favorite hole. When the weather began to warm I started pouring buckets of water into it to make a wallow.

Every weekend I spread a fresh bale of hay as bedding and to encourage them to begin eating it. They are starting to consume it a bit. They'll eat a lot more as they grow larger.

"Oi! This is just hay! Where's our treats?!"

The pigs say, "nom, nom, nom." Alan says, "no more food waste!"

I have the trenches for their new pen all, but dug out. This weekend I need to get in to chop out some roots then even out the dept all the way around so that I can sink the hog panels.

As soon as I can get their pen finished I can stop having to haul so much water! They'll also have more shade which will be a good thing now that the weather it heating up.
AndreaCA (03-31-2017), blue gecko (03-31-2017), Cactus Az (03-31-2017), Catbird (04-03-2017), Feather (03-31-2017), Mousehound (04-02-2017), rryan (03-31-2017), Sonny (03-31-2017), Thymeless (03-31-2017)

Tags
expects