Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,772 Posts
Default April 2017 Homestead and Garden Thread

We are in a delightful weather pattern of sunny days and rainy days close together. Perfect! If we can just avoid the stormy stuff we're good.

Many folks here have lost fruit blossoms to frost but so far on the farm we're still looking like we'll have good production. The greenhouse is full of seedlings and the greenhouse garden is thriving under remay hoops. We have been blessed with many loads of wood chips from the highway clean up folks and are busy working them into the system Hugelculture style. Volunteers are experimenting with some different formats and are teaming with ideas for the future.

There is a new feed shed sitting on a trailer waiting to be set up so 'Aunt B' doesn't have to haul buckets of feed so far. LOL. I will be very happy to get that shed into full use.

The woody cuttings we put down this winter are looking very good and soon we will sort out the ones that have taken root and transplant them into larger containers. We don't have a woody plant license so we can't sell them but we can share with folks who can use them along with expanding our own orchard.

We are focusing on establishing the two new gardens opened up by the bulldozer last summer. New roadways have been established within those gardens and I've got to admit things are looking very nice. The major plan now is to get the chickens penned and out of the garden scratching business and to recover the yard they are currently using so that it can be worked up as it was intended in the beginning as garden plots for demonstration.

It all takes time and hands!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (04-01-2017), Feather (04-01-2017), Thymeless (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,487 Posts
My hands are a cracked and dirt-stained mess. Despite wearing shoes, my toe nails have mud jammed up in them. Oh, and my back? It's wonderfully sore from hauling bags of compost, playing tug of war with stubborn roots, and trying to wheel an overflowing green waste bin from the back yard out to the street. But, my tomatoes are full of little yellow buds, my garlic has re-emerged from it's weed infested beds, and the most delightful part of all of this? I'm not even close to being finished! I have hours and days of delightful manual labor ahead of me and so much potential space in which I get to draw diagrams and to figure out what to plant in them.

Life is good.
Feather (04-02-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

So, I spent a good 30 minutes putting up a trellis system for what I thought were pole beans. Turns out, I bought the purple bush bean seeds. This is fine, bush beans do better in raised beds anyway. So, spent another 10 minutes tearing down the trellis and stapling chicken wire over the beds (I have cats that like to dig.) Cucumbers and butternut seeds are also in the ground. Keeping my fingers crossed that the slugs won't eat all of them!
blue gecko (04-05-2017), Feather (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Yesterday we walked out and flagged the barn site. Then we began to dismantle part of the sectioned garden (I never got to use due to poultry). Those panels are slated for the new poultry yard that will be near the barn site.

Today we moved the electric fence to run around the new barn site and replaced part of the old wire fence with braided electric rope. We also moved a ground rod and put the solar charger in a better location to charge that fence. Big day!

I gave P a ride home and the minute I got there D called me and Dad had fallen. Most of the time someone is here but when we can't do that we monitor him from the road.
From D's house to here it takes less than ten minutes. She talked to him through the monitor and he knew she was on her way. By the time I got here things were well under control. He's sore but it doesn't look like there are any broken bones. He's lucid but hurting. I gave him some PM Tylenol and got him settled into bed. Keep your fingers crossed for a good sleep for him (and me).

I'm going to try to sneak off and take a hot bath.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (04-14-2017), Feather (04-06-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

My butternut squash, cucumbers, and first bed of bush beans have emerged. I also transplanted my purple sweet potato starts outside. First time doing this, we'll see how they grow! My Egyptian Spinach seeds arrived so I'll finish prepping the bed for those this evening, transplant my Bay Leaf plant that started out 2 inches high in a pot and has turned into a tree into a permanent spot in my yard, and plan out my meditation/mint corner of my yard. This is a spot under the redwood tree canopy that not much is happy to grow in, including lawn! It's in full view of the living room and the current planting of leggy kale and Egyptian Walking Onions isn't too attractive. So, I'm going to refurbish our tired looking park bench with a fresh coat of paint, plant some sweet violets that I thinned out from one of our rental yards, chocolate mint, cat nip, and I've got a start from my horehound plant I'm going to put in as well. Add some stepping stones, a few pots of gaudy impatiens and I'm hoping for a sweet smelling place to hang out.
blue gecko (04-14-2017), RottieMom (04-15-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

What a FUN idea!

Feather (04-15-2017), spinnerholic (04-15-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 PM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

The drunken gardener

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (04-15-2017), Feather (04-15-2017), rb. (04-15-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Cactus Az

I almost bought some starts....maters, chiles, cucs a few days ago. I held off.

Boy, am I glad that I did.

Snow yesterday, and morning temp....21. Even my unheated greenhouse wouldn`t have let them survive.

3 days ago we were in the upper 70s.

I`ve lived up here for enough years that I know not to plant anything until Memorial Day. Good thing I didn`t get seduced by the warmth.

Tags
2017, april, garden, homestead, thread