Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,314 Times in 1,775 Posts
Default May 2017 Homestead and Garden Thread

It's a chilly blustery day here and many folks are up to their eyeballs in muck and mud from the recent HEAVY rains. Hope everyone is staying dry and your gardens are thriving!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
RottieMom
I live in the dog house

I'm a bit behind this year, but I'm especially happy that the seeds I saved in the fall from some yummy cherry tomatoes we got from a local farmer and my own asparagus are growing really well. Peppers are also starting to sprout and now I need to get some herbs started. Thankfully it hasn't been too wet here this spring (and the snow's gone), so I should hopefully be able to get some stuff planted in the garden before too long - just gotta get some more compost in it first.
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RottieMom For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

A couple of recent pics. The planting has begun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring 2017.jpg (103.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg spring 2017 2.jpg (126.6 KB, 34 views)

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Cactus Az (05-03-2017), Feather (05-03-2017), Mousehound (05-12-2017), RottieMom (05-03-2017), Thymeless (05-03-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

The world is abuzz here! Over the last few days the crew has cleaned out the garden spot turned poultry yard. It has been deep tilled, dragged with the rake (to remove all of the landscape fabric from the raised bed project) and had a load of wood chips worked into it. It's gorgeous!! The next plan is to fence in that garden space or rather fence in the house yard and garden space to keep the critters out. Talk about coming full circle LOL.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-11-2017), Thymeless (05-15-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
WVDragonlady
Working on it

We've been cold/cool and wet here which is good because we needed the rain. The water table is finally back up to where its supposed to be.
I didn't feel like messing with cool weather plants and have been waiting to plant everything else. According to the extended forecast I can start planting come monday. The weather should be warm enough even in the nights to go ahead and get everything in the ground.
I do want to find another Sweet 100 tomato plant so I can pickle some for salads and sandwiches
WVDragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVDragonlady For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,858 Times in 1,556 Posts
I had a credit at a big box store that had succulents on sale this week. I brought home two, a echeveria and a jade plant. Now lets hope I don't kill them.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
WVDragonlady
Working on it

Planted sweet peppers, tomatoes and musk melon. Also planted russian tarragon, english thyme and sweet basil in my big window boxes

Tomorrow I'll plant the zucchini and the 2 sweet 100's along with the rest of my herbs on the back deck
WVDragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVDragonlady For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-15-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Things are marching forward here...at a snails pace but marching still. One of the fenced gardens is slowly being planted and there are signs of life with tomatoes, melons and squashes being the larger residents. The other main garden is still under construction and repair after the retaining wall fell during a gully washer. its now in the process of being rebuilt and once that is done we can fence it YAY.

The new chicken yard is still under construction as well and the girls are laying EVERYWHERE in the mean time LOL. On the upside, my dog food bill has gone down.

I've asked the universe for help and they sent me a good hand. Poor guy he doesn't know what he's gotten into but he's willing, ready, able and hungry. The farm has it's first intern! I'll have to look into what all that means paper wise but I feel confident we can get it worked out and perhaps find a grant to help so we can actually pay him.

I'm looking into Agri-tourism funding as well and hope something will turn up there. Still haven't heard from the Soil Conservation folks but I understand they award funding in May so there is still a possibility for something to come this way.

I'm still having to be very careful with my leg and I promise I'm being good, as good as I can. I did make a trip into town yesterday to see my dad and get some signage ordered. I will probably have to make another trip to see the insurance agent but I'm limiting my walking and using a cane. When I'm at home I'm using the wheelchair and that really helps. Drum's salve is wonderful and I can tell it helps.

Today my goals are directed toward the fund raising event we are participating in this weekend. It's a music festival and they are expecting 500-1000 people over the weekend. There are only two food vendors and we're one of them. Oh Boy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (05-23-2017), Catbird (05-23-2017), Feather (05-23-2017), Sonny (05-23-2017)

Tags
2017, garden, homestead, thread