Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > Outside the Box

Outside the Box Not necessarily the news, anything oddball fits in here.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #551
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 9,001 Times in 3,549 Posts
I'll give this philanderer his due *IF* he does in fact, provide ALL financial support for the women and the children he's sired.

But I doubt highly that he can honestly say he knows all their names, dates of birth and anything specific about each and every child.

A child deserves more than to be one of, in this case, a 100 plus, siblings.

There's also no way he can say he spends more than coupling time with the women who seem little more than baby making, home making, drones. IMO.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-25-2017), spinnerholic (07-25-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 05:59 AM   #552
Ross
Lifetime Level 1

Thanked 6,161 Times in 2,766 Posts

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 08-09-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #553
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,877 Times in 4,742 Posts
You should see how many fly into Florida and NY and stay. The people who REALLY need help don't have the means to hop on a plane.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Ross (08-09-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #554
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,220 Posts
Quote:
Facing Wave of Refugees, Montreal Opens Up Stadium for Housing

Faced with a new wave of asylum seekers crossing into Quebec from the United States, the Canadian authorities have opened a temporary welcome center with plenty of space to house them: Montreal’s Olympic Stadium.

Refugees began arriving on Wednesday at the 56,000-seat stadium, where a public hall had been quickly transformed into a shelter with 150 cots and room for hundreds more, as well as internet service, locker room showers and concession stands for preparing food.

The Quebec authorities said the number of asylum seekers crossing into the province skyrocketed in July, when around 1,500 arrived, up from 180 in July 2016.

“We are stretched almost to the limit,” said Francine Dupuis, the spokeswoman for the Quebec government agency responsible for assisting new arrivals.

The refugees are crossing at areas along the international border along Quebec, New York, Vermont and Maine. These are not official border crossings, which means they can skirt a 13-year-old agreement between the United States and Canada requiring asylum seekers to assert their claim in the country they arrive in first.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/w...m-housing.html
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #555
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Attached Images
File Type: jpg french dinos.jpg (143.6 KB, 77 views)
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #556
Ross
Lifetime Level 1

About that Manitoba Hydro .

Nothing to see here ..........

Quote:
Bipole III, the outrageously expensive power line ($5 billion and counting) that was built to bring electricity from the new dams south to customers in the United States, will be hooked up and operating in July, 2018. That's when Manitoba Hydro is supposed to start paying back the money it borrowed to build the line and the accumulated interest.

The problem is that Hydro doesn't have the money to pay for Bipole III !

We'll repeat that slowly in case you still don't understand:

Manitoba Hydro
doesn't have
the money
to pay
for
Bipole III.

Three years later, in 2021, the even more expensive Keeyask dam ($8.7 billion and counting) will go into service. You guessed it...

Manitoba Hydro
doesn't have
the money
to pay
for
Keeyask

either.
More detail here .

An the provinces current financial situation is weeeeeel , kinda sour .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 08-12-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #557
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Off of the recommendation of a local, we hit up La Banquise for some poutine while in Montreal. My DS really enjoyed it, and the place was pretty neat. We sat in a small outdoor area. We also tried some Bec Cola - soft drink flavored with maple syrup. Pretty good as well. DW ordered a smoked meat sandwhich that was great. If you are in the area, we'd say it's worth the trip.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #558
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,319 Times in 995 Posts

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #559
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,277 Times in 5,130 Posts
Nothing like a proper Montreal style smoked meat sandwich. I'll admit, I've never tried one from NYC or anywhere else in the US where they may be famous but the Montreal variety will fill me up for a day.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #560
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thumbs up 'It still fits': Diamond ring missing since 2004 turns up on garden carrot

***When Mary Grams lost her diamond engagement ring in the garden in 2004, she thought it was gone for good.

This week it was found on a carrot, plucked from the soil on the family farm.

"I recognized it right away," she said.

Grams, 84, said she thinks she lost the ring while pulling a large weed from the garden in September 2004.

"We looked high and low on our hands and knees," she said. "We couldn't find it. I thought for sure either they rototilled it or something happened to it."

She has had the ring since 1951, a year before she married her husband, Norman. After it was lost she quickly replaced it.

"I didn't tell him, even, because I thought for sure he'd give me heck or something," she said...***

Rest at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...erta-1.4248131
Catbird (08-16-2017), Feather (08-16-2017), flourbug (08-15-2017), NowVoyager (08-18-2017), spinnerholic (08-16-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #561
Toner
Hero of Canton

Quote:
Young patients at B.C. Children’s Hospital were given a surprise treat when Hollywood A-lister Johnny Depp paid them a visit this week.

Decked out as his swashbuckling “Pirates of the Caribbean” character Capt. Jack Sparrow, the actor spent several hours lifting young patients' spirits at the Vancouver hospital on Monday.

“Johnny Depp showed he has a heart of gold by spending more than five hours meeting one-on-one with every patient, from newborns to teens,” the hospital wrote on Instagram.

Depp donned full pirate costume and spoke to the children in full character while roaming the halls. He also posed for selfies and took part in foam-sword duels.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/heart-of-gold-j...rrow-1.3546814

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (08-17-2017), Feather (08-17-2017), Mama Alanna (08-17-2017), NowVoyager (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #562
Toner
Hero of Canton

Default Have you seen Fluffy?

Quote:
A St. John's family is looking for Fluffy, its beloved pet turtle.

Fluffy's owner is Susan Flanagan's youngest son, Declan. Flanagan told CBC Radio's St. John's Morning Show the turtle has been missing since Sunday.

"We have signs up everywhere and we are asking if anybody sees a [red-eared] slider turtle the size of a side plate, to give us a call at 765-5459," she said.

Fluffy is one of two pet turtles belonging to the family. The other, Flippy, was also missing, but was found by neighbours and friends on Roche Street.

"I know that Flippy must be wondering where Fluffy is and Fluffy, we're just worried about him. We really hope that somebody finds him and picks him up," Flanagan said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...uffy-1.4251641

The Following User Says Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
Feather (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:42 AM   #563
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Lucky loon sought out Alberta campers to save it from fishing gear

***NORDEGG, Alta. -- This is a story about one lucky loon.

Don Gibson was standing with his family on a dock in Fish Lake Provincial Park in west-central Alberta last weekend when he noticed a normally standoffish loon -- one of a group of five that call the lake home -- swimming toward them.

"I said, 'There's no way that's a real loon because they don't come that close,"' Gibson recalled Friday from his home in Sundre, northwest of Calgary.

"I said, 'Somebody's out in the woods playing a trick on us. They've got a remote-control bird or something."'

But as the loon got closer, Gibson could tell it needed help.

A piece of fishing gear with wire leaders and multiple hooks, often referred to as a pickerel rig, had become tangled around the bird's bill, neck and leg.

Loons are sleek and rely on their diving ability to catch fish, frogs and other water creatures. Seeing the way this one was tangled, it was clear to Gibson that it couldn't hunt.

The bird kept looking up at the campers on the dock and moved to a shallow area along the shore.

"This one just knew he only had another day and he was going to die. He was just right pooped I think."...***

Rest at link:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/lucky-l...gear-1.3552664

Last edited by CanadaSue; 08-19-2017 at 01:51 AM.
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CanadaSue For This Useful Post:
Feather (08-19-2017), NowVoyager (08-19-2017), Ross (08-19-2017), Toner (08-19-2017), Wallflower (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #564
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Talking Clumsy thieves forget stolen goods after Quebec robbery

***LAVAL, Que. -- Police say thieves who broke into a Quebec department store early this morning accidentally lost hundreds of thousands in stolen goods as they fled.

Laval police received a call at around 3:30 a.m. about a break-in and robbery at a Hudson's Bay store in a shopping centre just north of Montreal.

Lt. Genevieve Villemure says officers who responded found at least 15 suitcases containing perfumes, jewelry and beauty products in the store's parking lot.

She says it appears the thieves didn't properly close the back panel of the cube truck in which they made their escape.

No arrests have been made but Villemure says police have identified several potential suspects...***

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/clumsy-...bery-1.3553048
Old 08-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #565
Ross
Lifetime Level 1

I understand Trudeau is selling Canadian airports and sea ports .

IMO the only thing worse than a government monopoly is a privately
owned monopoly .

Just sayn .

Tags
canada