Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic

Flu Clinic A special wing of TBM's Health and Medicine forum set aside for discussing all issues related to influenza, pH1N1, H5N1 or seasonal. Please use the subrooms as appropriate.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Default Peterborough Ont. Community wide influenza outbreak, 5 deaths.

Looks like things are heating up...

Peterborough Ont. Community wide influenza outbreak, 5 deaths.

Peterborough Medical officer of Health Dr. Rosana Salvaterra:
“We’re seeing deaths right now associated with this outbreak.”

Not something anyone wants to hear. The Health Unit can’t confirm ages…but says the Flu has claimed 5 lives in the Peterborough area alone…
and we may not be out of the woods yet.

Salvaterra:
“We have more influenza cases being reported to us. We’re also seeing more people with influenza like illness coming into the emergency department at PRHC.”

Peterborough’s Medical Officer of Health says those most at risk are children under 2, pregnant women, and seniors.

Salvaterra:
“As well as anyone who is immunocompromised.”

“Fairhaven Home is one of the many long term care homes in the region that are currently experiencing an influenza outbreak. Officials here say the outbreak started on Saturday.”
Resident Care Supervisor, Lori Rowsell:

http://www.chextv.com/2016/03/17/56321/
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,134 Times in 5,079 Posts
Last week, the local Chief Medical Officer announced we too were going through a tough, late season & had experienced one flu related death; the first since 2009. That left me scratching my head; my instinctive reaction was: "ONLY one?" I'm wondering if the special mention was due to the fact that the gentleman was 46 - a fact which came out later.

I'm not sure how far health authorities go to sort out 'flu related' deaths from others in the elderly but I would have expected in the last 6-7 years, we'd have seen at least a few deaths.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Hmm. Not a peep here about flu this year. No call from the nursing home to say they're on lockdown, either.

I have to wonder if it won't pop up in the homes in about two weeks. Next weekend many will leave the nursing homes to have a family Easter dinner, like my dad.

Having been a shorter and warmer winter this year, I think the flu has had a hard time getting a real foothold. Not even a lot of colds going around this year.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,198 Posts
We are getting hammered right now too. Multiple people I know, some with positive for flu test results.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,134 Times in 5,079 Posts
It's odd here, we're being TOLD we're at peak, (a very late peak), but all I'm seeing is the odd tummy bug & heavy head colds.

Tags
community, deaths, influenza, ont, outbreak, peterborough, wide