Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Samen
unregistered

Talked to someone today who has the flu twice in a row within the last few weeks a different strands and now has pneumonia. The elderberry sounds good but might not be easy to get here Echinacea is easy to get.

DW broke out in rashes, with blisters, 4 palm sized on the back 3 in the front and a few on each leg and a couple small ones on the arms, probably some sorth of anaphylactic reaction to tamiflu or something else. Also fewer is up a bit.
Didint have any antihistamines apart from a snake bite kit at hand, so was advised to give one of them, it seemed to help somewhat, we really need a private hospital that is open 24 hours a day.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,855 Times in 5,393 Posts
Woah! Have yu had medical advice for that? I'd take her to hospital pretty quickly - that is potentially very serious.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
Samen
unregistered

We have this public call in service at the EA and that was the advice we got.
I recon the snake bite pill helped a bit but itching all over still and a few more rashes with blister have come up.
Taking at this hour wont help anything tho if i cant get her into the uni hospital the regular ER is just not worth it.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #29
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Watch her VERY carefully, please!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #30
lilly

Elderberry is Sambuccal.

Sounds like giant hives.

I get it from Demerol.

Take care, an ER is better than nothing.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #31
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

It's going to take a while before you are 100% again. We are still dragging our butts around here.

Rest and sleep every chance you get for the next while. You're going to need it.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
Elderberry is Sambuccal.

Sounds like giant hives.

I get it from Demerol.

Interesting
Demerol = synthetic opioid

Just went through one of the cough medicines she has been taking and it contains similar stuff

Ethylmorphine
Although side effects from taking this medication are few, patients who experience swelling of the throat and tongue, rashes and difficulty breathing should contact their doctor immediately
When taken orally, ethylmorphine dosage generally ranges from 5 mg to 50 mg. The drug is typically not injected into the patient as there is a danger of rapid histamine release into the body which could lead to severe allergic reaction. There is some research to indicate that a dose of 500 mg or more could potentially be lethal.

Codeine Phosphate hemihydrate
Some people may also have an allergic reaction to codeine, such as the swelling of skin and rashes

spir.menthol.

Ammonium chloride

Nikethamide (Coramine) some sort of nervous system stimulant.
sweating, nausea, vomiting, cough, spray choking, skin flushing, rash.

potassium guaiacolsulfonate (Guaifenesin)
Dermatologic side effects have included skin rash and urticaria.

glycyrrhiza (found in Liquorice root)
Rashes, itches, hives, wheezing, breathing difficulties and swelling of the mouth or throat might be suffered as well.

Interesting thing is that the cough medicine single dose contains way more Ethylmorphine than the average dosage mentioned.

Single dose

Ethylmorphine 112 mg
Codeine Phosphate hemihydrate 20 mg
spir.menthol. 2 % DF 10 mg/m
Ammonium chloride 340 mg
Nikethamide 112 mg
potassium guaiacolsulfonate 220 mg
glycyrrhiza 900 mg

--------

Yeah will just sit back and watch the world roll by for a few more days.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #33
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
Elderberry is Sambuccal.

Sounds like giant hives.

I get it from Demerol.

Diagnose acute urticaria from the above OTC cough medicine.
Treatment: Atarax and some other antihistamine. prognosis? rashes should disappear in a week and a taste should also come back in that time, (aperently there was some sort of reaction on the tongue also), and no more OTC cough meds with codeine or morphine in them.

HUH i had to google them up:
Atarax is used as a sedative to treat anxiety and tension. It is also used together with other medications given for anesthesia. Hydroxyzine may also be used to control nausea and vomiting.
Atarax is also used to treat allergic skin reactions such as hives or contact dermatitis.

Makes one want to go homeopathic or start taking flu shots.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I hope she's doing better & if she has allergies to common narcotic pain medication - NOW is the time to have found out. Should she ever require 'seriouos' pain medication - an alternative safe for her can be found.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
I hope she's doing better & if she has allergies to common narcotic pain medication - NOW is the time to have found out. Should she ever require 'seriouos' pain medication - an alternative safe for her can be found.
True, that will now be noted and thought about. TY.

DS the first born has been bravely coming home a little later and leaving early, wearing a face mask and carrying hand sanitizer so he would not get sick and make it to the local variant of prom dance coming Friday, was just puking his guts out, I had started to think there actually was a possibility he would make it without getting the flu.

Drink up, more, more, good, all empty? you sure? OK take this, you got 106 hours till before the tux needs to be piked up lets see how it goes.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #36
cottage
Member Level 1

Dam Flu.

I had it in late January. Not tested but all the earmarks- sudden onset, fevers, cough, sore throat, muscle aches. I'm still not over the first flu which followed up by sinusitis, costochondritis (which has now extended to sternum, collar bones and back, and what was supposed to be trigeminal neuralgia for one weeks. Enormous night sweats for a full month. Hair loss, blah, blah. Oh, and blacking out for the first time in my life, and quickly hitting the floor.

Now I seem to have come down with another case of the flu. Same symtoms, including a near black out today. My friend's mother in a nursing home just over the state line where they recently had a flu outbreak. Said that flu was not in last year's vaccine.

I got the vaccine and now seemingly have flu twice in a matter of months. Don't know what the heck the fallout from this one will be. It's not the flu that worries me do much, it's all of the fallout after the flu. I'm pissed.
cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cottage For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-17-2017), linttrap (05-18-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #37
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottage View Post
Dam Flu.

I had it in late January. Not tested but all the earmarks- sudden onset, fevers, cough, sore throat, muscle aches. I'm still not over the first flu which followed up by sinusitis, costochondritis (which has now extended to sternum, collar bones and back, and what was supposed to be trigeminal neuralgia for one weeks. Enormous night sweats for a full month. Hair loss, blah, blah. Oh, and blacking out for the first time in my life, and quickly hitting the floor.

Now I seem to have come down with another case of the flu. Same symtoms, including a near black out today. My friend's mother in a nursing home just over the state line where they recently had a flu outbreak. Said that flu was not in last year's vaccine.

I got the vaccine and now seemingly have flu twice in a matter of months. Don't know what the heck the fallout from this one will be. It's not the flu that worries me do much, it's all of the fallout after the flu. I'm pissed.

I'd be worried about the blacking out. If you've never experienced that before, with a bout of flu, maybe think about seeing a doctor if the symptoms continue or worsen!

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Feather (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #38
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,579 Posts
Yes Cottage, get checked out. The only time I blacked out was once when I had the flu, back in 1976, and passed out on my way to the bathroom. When I came to it scared my Dad so bad he took me to the ER and I saw a cardiologist who diagnosed that I have a fast beating heart. It could be nothing but it's better to get checked out so it may not happen again.

Tags
flu, house