Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Classroom

Classroom A place for parents who take an active interest in their child's education, with a special emphasis on Homeschooling.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default Growing number of Ontario college students need help in grade school math, study finds

By now, we're all aware that many college students need remedial math courses. They're stuck paying college level fees for material they should have aced by the end of high school... except a recent study here show the first of these review courses, (very high enrollments!), are having to do 6th, 7th & 8th grade math. Yes, I'm talking ARITHMETIC.

All such college programs studied had to review fractions, with most also reviewing decimals & percentages.

The article points out that in fairness, not all college students are dismal in math but the number of college students requiring these programs is growing.

I'm not surprised. The basics are simply not well taught. Let's face it - a lot of the basics have to be gone over & over with a lot of kids; until they get it. Multiplication? The understanding is one thing but ease of use is another. Teachers are terrified at the thought of not 'engaging' their students, of having them suffer one iota of boredom.

They are also not well prepared for kids with no attention spans or ability to concentrate.

We need math- at least basic arithmetic skills. We use them daily. Well, those of us who don't carry a calculator around do, anyway. I don't need a cash register to tell me what change to give. I can walk through a grocery store, mentally add up what I'm buying - including factoring in the tax on taxable items & I'll admit I'm estimating but I make it a point of pride to come in within a dollar of what's rung up at the till. It's saved me untold embarassment.

How can you figure out your gross versus net earnings, budgeting routine expenses & saving up for wanted items if you can't work out the numbers & yes - I've seen it that bad & worse.

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/e...th-study-finds
Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,279 Posts
I think it is mostly a case of use it or lose it. Our brains are lazy. We may have learned to use fractions back in the fourth grade, but after that almost no one needs them, except in their simple form. Higher math courses use calculators, and it's all down hill after that.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,682 Times in 4,656 Posts
Engaging? HA! They teach to test. Every day, multiple choice questions on paper. Then another, then another. Years of this and most of the kids zone out... find other things to interest them like, socializing, shopping, drinking, sex, drugs, crime. The lucky ones learn at home. They grow up in an atmosphere of intelligence where knowledge and true education is valued. They have parents who encourage a lifestyle of self motivation and accomplishment. These kids go in and ace their practice tests.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

A few years ago, my Dad finally wrote a book about mathematics. I'd like to link it here for his listing on lulu.com, but don't want to break the rules. If its ok, let me know and I'll post the link. lulu used to let you preview a few pages of the book but that doesn't seem available now. Go figure...
MaxTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,682 Times in 4,656 Posts
Post the link!
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

Thanks FB! Dad's such a ham. He'll get a kick out of the publicity.

The listing:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/laurence-w-...t-4716205.html

His lulu store:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/budsbestbookcorner
MaxTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,267 Times in 3,377 Posts
This BBC article points out another reason why kids can't/don't learn math well. The way it's now being taught is different than in the past, so parents aren't able to help kids with their homework because they're doing it "wrong".

Back in the 60's, when the idea of "new math" was the big things in elementary schools, my mother had fits any time she saw my math books. She was so disgusted by the "concept oriented" method being used that she made a point of teaching myself and my sister basic math at home. I'm glad she did because those are the methods that I remember and use most in my day to day life.

"Are parents being left out of the maths equation?"

Quote:
"..."Many parents talk about how they try to help their child with their homework and their child says: 'No, no. That's not the way we do it at school,'" says Rob Eastaway, co-author of Maths for Mums and Dads and a former president of the Mathematical Association."

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
So parents should be making the kid do Khan Academy online youtubes. Free and problem solved. Even with a donation, cheaper too.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Pablo Escobar
Senior Level 1

I love Khan academy. I hate the voice of Khan, and my daughter does too. Therefore, she won't listen to it.
Pablo Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,787 Times in 2,862 Posts
You should see the drones here.

Something costs $2.37 and you hand then $3.13. Vapor lock?

"You gave me too much!" or "I have to think?"

"Just put in the computer." I say.

"Oh, isn't that sick!" is the reply.

The other is the tax rate. It is mixed around here.

They will give me a price, and it will have the higher tax rate. They got the cash register from the other stores in the higher rate area.

You would think it was Calculus or something. Too had to get them to understand. Get the manager. Explain to them.

"But the register says it is $xx.xx" remedial math is applied.

Christ.

Do you know how to tell if someone can count change back?

They always give you the change first, then the bills. Think about it.

Tags
college, finds, grade, growing, math, number, ontario, school, students, study