Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,576 Times in 458 Posts
Default 9 Ways to Keep Your Washer and Dryer Healthyhttp://www.washerdryerinfo.com/Features/9-Ways-to-Keep-Your-Washer-Dryer-Healthy.

http://www.washerdryerinfo.com/Featu...ef=obnet work

I didn't know about the washer filter. And I'm glad to know about keeping the washer lid open - ours is smelling musty.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Pablo Escobar
Senior Level 1

Our idiot home designer, we live in a cookie cutter high end subdivision, placed the laundry room in the exact geographic center of the floor plan. We count 7 90 degree bends, with a throw of total tube length of 30 feet to vent the dryer.

We have had 3 close calls of smoldering dryer lint, that never went beyond the smoldering stage, even though we have a service clean the vents once a year.

Ugh.

The long vent plus 90 degree angles mean drying times are very very long, with a higher risk of fire. Nothing can be done but be vigilent. We never allow the dryer to run while we are gone, nor at night when we are asleep.
Pablo Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 19,440 Times in 6,200 Posts
That's right, blame "me" for the dryer problems....I'm just trying to do my job but somebody has to clean me out every now and then or I can get a little hot under the collar.

Linttrap

The truth shall set you free but not til it is finished with you.
David Foster Wallace
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to linttrap For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (09-22-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,772 Posts
Its a good idea to clean out the vent tube and outside vent cover periodically. The lint trap doesn't get everything and it can accumulate in the tube. I don't know what you would do with 30 feet of tube! But if your having long dry times you can bet its got lint accumulation. There is a diverter you can install to recover heat in the winter time:

Amazon
At least that would minimize lint accumulation in the winter

These brushes work well to clean the air paths in the dryer itself:

Amazon

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,851 Times in 1,550 Posts
Add to those to wash the lint trap once a month or so. Dryer sheets and fabric softener leaves a film on it and things don't dry as fast.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,979 Times in 3,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
Our idiot home designer, we live in a cookie cutter high end subdivision, placed the laundry room in the exact geographic center of the floor plan. We count 7 90 degree bends, with a throw of total tube length of 30 feet to vent the dryer.

We have had 3 close calls of smoldering dryer lint, that never went beyond the smoldering stage, even though we have a service clean the vents once a year.

Ugh.

The long vent plus 90 degree angles mean drying times are very very long, with a higher risk of fire. Nothing can be done but be vigilent. We never allow the dryer to run while we are gone, nor at night when we are asleep.
WHOA!!!!

Makes one wonder how in the heck plans like that got through plan check before a building permit was issued!!

There are times when architects and contractors forget things like code and common sense, IMO, in the process of designing a structure for maximum use of square footage and or trying to maximize every penny of profit.

Not to mention one would assume that in the actual process of the structure being built, that a building inspector (as part of the permitting process) would have noticed that.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dryer, washer, ways