Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,280 Posts
Default Cleaning schedules

How often should you clean everything...according to this article.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/29/li...html?hpt=li_t5

Hat tip to Wojapi, who cleans by her own book!

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I'm going to quibble with some of the items here and... one always has to consider how many people live in the household, how much stuff you have & if you live in an area prone to dust, pollen, etc.

Grout - I do ours at least 3 times a year. This is an older building & no matter how meticulous you are, mould spores are everywhere. It gets wiped down with the tiles in the shower enclosures every 2-3 days as well.

SO does our windows & screens monthly during reasonable weather & a few times in winter when it's not too cold. Winter may sound odd but the lighting is poor with long nights. Clean windows really increase the amount of light coming in. Screens are an important part of that process.

I LOOK at my oven every few months. I keep foil on the bottom of it & when I cook something likely to be messy, I'll sit it on a old cookie sheet - those I can scrub to death or toss as needed. Hate filthy ovens.

Pots - they don't get put away after use unless they're sparkling - period.

Carpets - I have old cats - one is a power puker. If he only stayed out of my houseplants... & the other has periodic - ahem - digestive issues. Luckily I own a small carpet cleaner. Every 2 months at our place for carpets.

Wood furniture - once a year; are you kidding me? Four times a year here.

Purse/bag - oops! Emptying & shaking out loose dirt after every use clearly isn't enough. Must mend my ways.

My computer screen & keyboard - constantly!

REUSABLE GROCERY BAGS!!! Those can harbour literally killer germs - toss them in the sink with dish soap & a small dollop of bleach every month or so, let sit 15 minutes, rinse then hang to dry. The vinyl coated ones can be wiped out with a disinfectant cleaner.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
What is clean?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Answer highly dependent on individuals involved.

For me it means disinfected within the last 24 hours, (bathroom/kitchen), nothing is sticky, no spill or stain marks, minimal dust & everything save a few items in their places. No more than 1 load of laundry pending.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,485 Times in 677 Posts
Holy sh*t I think we must be seriously ocd or some kind of crazy. Around here everything remotely accessible surface is cleaned at least every week or ten days, bathrooms and kitchen scrubbed every couple days, most furniture wiped down at least weekly, floors mopped couple times a week.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

You & me both rryan - vacuum hits the floor almost daily, floors are washed every 2 days & solid surfaces, including furniture are wiped down several times a week. The schedule I gave for deeper cleaning...LOL
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
sandyd
Beach Fun

I'm so opposite. The floors have visible dirt from the yard on them. Only place I wipe down good is the kitchen counters. And I want the dishes clean. Everything else, I let my immune system deal with and avoid cleaning chemicals.

I dunno if it's better or not for me but it's less stressful to not care about dust and dirt.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

sandy, SO is constantly snarling at me because... I walk in from outside & rarely bother taking my shoes off - just wipe them at the door. I shed grass clippings, plant trimmings & 'weedlings' the way some dogs shed fleas. If I'm popping in & out all the time, which is the case many days, removing & putting back on shoes is a PITA. I'd far rather whip out my little vacuum once or twice a day - a thorough job, hitting everything that can handle a vacuum, takes 25 minutes. Swiping up after myself... 5 minutes.

I grew up in hoard of epic proportions with all the issues that go along with that. So, I 'allow' myself to make messes but I bloody well clean them up ASAP & disorganization makes me twitchy.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
sandyd
Beach Fun

I think snarling over it would have been a deal breaker for me. Laughing at it works better and is less stressful. We know we are messy and not the least bit OCD about it and to us it's funny.

We actually did a good job cleaning a lot more when a dog was getting chemo. I really did not want him to get in infection and he did like to eat off the floor so it had to be clean but rinsed free of chemicals.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
lilly

I wipe up spills with a throwaway damp paper toweling. The floor never looks dirty because I am one person, have no pets, and often change footwear.

Somewhere along the line I stopped using strong chemicals, maybe because I got sick years and years ago from cleaning an oven. I use the minimum of cleaning stuff. And since I don't cook much and only use one burner and a microwave there isn't much to clean up as is.

It would change with animals or a companion of any sort, human or avian or even fish.

Keep lavender in the bathroom, use herbs in the kitchen so it is natural smells and an automatic fans vented out to take away any odors or dampness.

Tags
cleaning, schedules