Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Default Adhesive question - help needed

This may be a bit long, so please be patient with me.

So we have a rental house that has been experiencing a mouse problem. After battling it myself, I brought in an exterminator. He said I had been successful in getting rid of the mice, but they keep coming in.

This house was built in 1949, wood framed, sitting on poured concrete walls that are about 3 feet above grade. Houses were all sided with hard asbestos shingles. Never had rodent or bug infestations, tight as a drum, and solid. A 15 foot addition the width of the house was added a bit over 10 years ago. The addition has a full, poured concrete basement as well. These new basement walls are also above grade to match the level of the pre-existing structure.

When the addition was done, the whole house was re-sided with vinyl siding, on top of a layer of rigid foam insulation, as is the practice here. I believe the hard asbestos shingles are under those layers on the three remaining original exterior walls. The bottom of the layers are exposed where they overlap/overhang the concrete walls. This is allowing mice to climb the exterior basement walls, chew through the rigid foam on the addition portion of the house, and gain entry to the house.

I now know there should have been a metal flashing installed as the first step of re-siding, that would have attached several inches of metal to the house, had a lip to set the rigid foam on, then a short jog down into vinyl siding. This is known as a Z flashing. There isn't one. This would have covered the rigid foam, protecting it from rodents and insects.

As we cannot slide this channel in after the fact, due to fasteners in the way, we are trying to figure out how to address this situation to keep out mice. The least expensive way I can think of is to create a U shaped cover to slide over the rigid foam made of metal screen, and use a construction adhesive to attach it to the back side of the vinyl siding and the top of the concrete basement wall. We have already covered all exterior venting with this screen.

So, I need a construction adhesive that wiil work on metal, concrete, and vinyl siding, without melting the rigid foam, or damaging or discolouring the vinyl from the back side.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Twoolf
Stop the world; I want to throw a few people off.

Thanked 1,919 Times in 907 Posts
Adhesive latex caulk may be the best bet to satisfy all your requirements.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twoolf For This Useful Post:
rb. (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,902 Times in 2,918 Posts
Use Great Stuff Pest Block. Come in a can like the spray foam you use to seal cracks but this has a bitter agent. (Like Bitter Apple for pets) Yea, they won't be chewing though that stuff./

http://greatstuff.dow.com/pestblock/

GREAT STUFF™ PESTBLOCK

GREAT STUFF™ Pestblock is the bitter-tasting foam sealant that blocks critters and bugs – from spiders and ants to mice and rats – from entering your home through gaps, cracks and holes.
  • Tack-free in 10-15 minutes*
  • Paintable, stainable and sandable
  • UL Classified
  • One 12oz = up to 19 tubes of caulk
  • One 16oz = up to 24 tubes of caulk
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Twoolf
Stop the world; I want to throw a few people off.

Thanked 1,919 Times in 907 Posts
I wasn't aware they came out with that. Good tip. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
rb.

Thanks, Pote. Can't find info if it is compatible with rigid foam insulation.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
rb.

Crap. Some reviews that it didn't stop mice from chewing through.

I did see copper mesh on Amazon while checking out Pest Block, though. Ant electrical reason why I couldn't use copper mesh instead up cutting up metal screening?

Tags
adhesive, needed, question