Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,217 Times in 5,109 Posts
Question Question About Bathroom Reno

A person of my aquaintence told me they want to change out their bath tub - just that. They figure they can get a tub, (new!) for about $100 & will have the friend of a friend of a friend do the work & it should end up being cheeeeeeeeeap!

Right.

Granted, I haven't seen more than a dozen or so tubs changed out but I've never seen one done in a place of this age, (current tub has been in place 20+ years), without the surrounding tile being cracked, flooring being damaged & paint being mucked up. Not to mention, ya never know what you're going to find once you pull the tub out.

I'm thjinking it's more reasonable to be looking at $500 - $1000 for a job like this, rather than the $150-200 this person is assuming they can get away with.

Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,371 Times in 2,105 Posts
We are currently renovating all three bathrooms, at a cost of approximately $10,000 apiece. Yes, we could have maybe cut those costs down some by using the cheapest tub, fittings, etc. available, but most of that is going to labor. It was necessary to pull the tub in the main bathroom in order to find the leak which was pulping the subflooring; you were right on when you said that it damaged both floor and wall tiles. It was not possible to match 45 year old wall tiles, so they all had to come down as well. We didn't have to quite gut the room; the contractor cut the wallboard just above the tiles and left the top half of the walls in place. But the lower half of the walls did have to be replaced, and the ugly floor tiles that looked like a truck stop bathroom, and the tub surround, and, and, and...
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,217 Times in 5,109 Posts
Thanx - you're confirming what I was pretty sure I knew. I know 2 winters ago we had to have our tub yanked & replaced & it was impossible not to crack the surrounding tile or muck up the floor to the point it needed replacing.

I can't for the life of me image what needs doing being done for less than a thousand & that's assuming labout costs can be minimized.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,851 Times in 1,550 Posts
It would be hard just to find a tub for $100. If the one they have isn't plastic I wouldn't get rid of it. Most of the tubs we've looked at are much more shallow than the older ones. Plus if you drop something heavy in a plastic tub they crack. The one in my trailer was cracked and the former owners had put caulking in the hole.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Sue, they're only considering the price of a porcelain on steel tub. IF it has a surround unit, it will break. If it is tiled, the bottom row or two of tiles will break. If the tiles in the botoom row are carefully removed before the tub, they could get away with replacing just that row. Anyone with strength and a brain should be able to stand the tub up and get it out the door without ruining drywall and paint. The toilet and cabinet *may* need to be moved out first to do this, depending on room size.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, question, reno