Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Art and Photography

Art and Photography Discuss art and photography here. Show off your talents.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,270 Times in 3,379 Posts
Default Bob Ross once painted only in gray for a color blind fan

It's been 20 years since Bob Ross died but he lives on through PBS, videos and kits that you can buy, and now YT. I have to agree with the author of this article that watching Bob paint is incredibly relaxing. To me, watching Bob is the visual equivalent of 30 minutes spent meditating while listening to Tibetan singing bowls. Bob's mantra that "we don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents" has become part of the marital lexicon of DH and I. When one of us screws up, the other points out that it's just a happy accident. (Most of the time ).

I doubt that any of Bob's paintings will ever be considered a masterpiece but that doesn't matter. He made the art of painting accessible to millions of people, including me, by removing the intimidation factor that most of us feel when faced with a blank canvas and some paints.

I thought I had seen all the episodes of his show but, if I did see this one, I don't remember it. I'm going to celebrate by waiting until after 2am (when we have unlimited free data usage) to download the YT. Then tomorrow evening when DH gets home after a 12 hour shift, we'll watch it and let it relax us and enjoy those endorphins.

Bob Ross once painted only in gray for a colorblind fan. It was incredible.

Quote:
The soft sound of slow-moving water down a creek. The smell of fresh coffee roasting in the morning. A thick blanket resting across your lap during the first snowfall of winter.

Sure, you might find these things soothing. But none of them — none of them — compares to watching (and listening to) Bob Ross paint.

In case you've never experienced Ross, he's that "soft spoken guy painting happy clouds, mountains, and trees in about 26 television minutes," as his website explains. And if you think that sounds boring, well, you're wrong. It's one magical half-hour of television euphoria. End of discussion.

Ross died back in 1995 (rest in peace, Bob), but you can still catch his show, "The Joy of Painting," on TV from time-to-time (or you can binge watch it on YouTube after a rough day at work). His website claims it's the "most recognized, most watched TV art show in history." And who could argue with that? No one. No one, I tell you.

Although it's been more than two decades since Ross' show was canceled, one episode recently resurfaced online.

An especially old one — episode four of season two — made its way onto the front page of Reddit on Sept. 1, 2015. It begins like any other: Ross smiling brightly next to a blank canvas, ready to take us on an endorphin-filled visual journey.

..."Just recently I was doing a demonstration in a mall, and I had a man come to me and he said, 'Bob, I could never paint because I'm colorblind. All I can see is gray tones.' So I thought today we'd do a picture in gray just to show you that anyone can paint."

Ross had a wonderful habit of reminding viewers that art is for everyone.

While his talents were extraordinary, Ross never made viewers feel like they couldn't create their own beautiful works of art, too.

The colorblind fan could have had achromatopsia — a condition that affects roughly 1 in every 33,000 Americans by limiting their vision to see only in grayscale. But Ross was determined to make painting — an activity seemingly dependent on color — an accessible art form for him:

"Any color will work, as long as you use the basic method."
In the episode, Ross goes on to paint his own version of 50 shades of gray, masterfully creating rocky mountains behind a wintry sky.

As Ross explains, he only used various hues of browns and blues mixed together (which end up coming through as various grays), along with white.

... Bob Ross was incredible.

Not only at painting (and assuring me with that soothing voice that the world is a wonderful place), but at helping everyone feel good about themselves and their own abilities. Thank you, Bob.

Quote:
Isn't that fantastic? That you can make whole mountains in minutes? And you can do it. There's no big secret to it. All you need is a dream in your heart."

Full episode:

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (09-05-2015), blue gecko (09-06-2015), Feather (09-05-2015), linttrap (09-05-2015), NowVoyager (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Thank you so much for the link & more importantly, the story behind it.

I will definitely watch that episode.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,272 Times in 2,073 Posts
SonIL1 is almost colorblind from an auto accident as a child. He can see only certain shades of blue, and everything else is grayed-out. I bought him a painting that he really admired at a science fiction convention we all attended. I can see it only as navy blue with hints of vague figures, almost ghosts or suggestions. HE sees all kinds of things that I don't.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,796 Times in 3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
SonIL1 is almost colorblind from an auto accident as a child. He can see only certain shades of blue, and everything else is grayed-out. I bought him a painting that he really admired at a science fiction convention we all attended. I can see it only as navy blue with hints of vague figures, almost ghosts or suggestions. HE sees all kinds of things that I don't.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,529 Posts
I remember that episode of Bob Ross's show. Mom and I watched it every Saturday morning for a long time.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,272 Times in 2,073 Posts
Thanks, NV, but it isn't a problem with SIL's eyes. They still work just fine, and presumably still 'see' the colors. The 'wiring' is damaged that lets his brain interpret colors. The colors have gradually faded out, with yellow going first, so that blues and greens both read as 'blue.' When they first met, 12 years ago, he could still see some reds and purples, but the red has gone now.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-06-2015), NowVoyager (09-06-2015)

Tags
blind, bob, color, fan, gray, painted, ross