Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,484 Posts
Thumbs up Sensory deprivation tanks for anxiety reduction

Back in the early to mid 1970's I enjoyed the use of sensory deprivation tanks. Though the one I used was a free standing enclosed tank. It was incredible. Despite my inclination towards claustrophobia, I found the experience extremely relaxing, safe, comforting. Like returning to the womb?

No light, no sound, floating in a heavily salted, warm tank of water. You could hear your heartbeat and were keenly aware of the blood flowing through your body. Wonderful

>>>Full article at link

Suffer from anxiety? Try a sensory deprivation tank

Developed in the 1950s by a psychologist interested in hallucinogenic drugs, sensory deprivation tanks are now back in vogue

When was the last time you really stopped running around and just stood still? At a time when work, endless emails and a million distractions vie for our attention, the idea of taking time to just be present is more popular than ever.

This is where sensory deprivation flotation pools come in. Flotation pools promise to give that stillness back to you, even if you have never meditated a day in your life.

That said, sensory deprivation is really a misnomer, according to Justin Feinstein, a neurophysiologist who studies the effects of the practice in his laboratory at the Laureate Institute for Brain Research. The pools reduce external stimulation, and thus enhance internal sensation of a person’s world, he explains.

Flotation pools originated in the 1950s with a wacky researcher named John Lilly, who tried to see what would happen if a person was submerged underwater for long periods of time, without the distractions of light and sound. Lilly published no scientific research, according to Feinstein, and instead wrote about his experiences taking hallucinogens while underwater. Lilly was ostracized by the scientific community, explains Feinstein, and the practice didn’t catch on.

In the 1970s, when mediation and Eastern philosophy became fashionable, a much more palatable version of the flotation pool emerged, without the hallucinogens. For an hour at a time, at a spa or at someone’s home, a person could float face up in a warm tub or pool of very salty water. The temperature was set to match that of the human body, and the salt content was high enough that you could float effortlessly. With sound- and light-proofing, the desired effect was a feeling of weightlessness and a sensation that your body and the water were one.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...nks-john-lilly

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Fartacus
Go Cubs Go!

Thanked 3,397 Times in 1,469 Posts
I used to think a deprivation tank would be cool. However...

I started experiencing panic attacks about 4 years ago.

I can think of no more hellish experience during a panic attack than being in a completely lightless, soundless, closed environment, surrounded by water.

You'd have to tranq me like a wild gorilla.

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Fartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,254 Times in 1,752 Posts
I think it would be wonderful.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,787 Times in 2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartacus View Post
I used to think a deprivation tank would be cool. However...

I started experiencing panic attacks about 4 years ago.

I can think of no more hellish experience during a panic attack than being in a completely lightless, soundless, closed environment, surrounded by water.

You'd have to tranq me like a wild gorilla.
All the ones I was in, 80's, you raise your hand apply a few pounds pressure and the lid rises on hydraulics automatically.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,223 Times in 657 Posts
Coincidentally, I was thinking about this a week ago. I am building a series of wind tunnels for testing odors and realized the design is similar to a tank.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,528 Posts
I don't care for small spaces but for me it only really applies to bathroom stalls. I'd love to try one of these tanks.Maybe it would help with some of the stress from dealing with DH.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,787 Times in 2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
I don't care for small spaces but for me it only really applies to bathroom stalls. I'd love to try one of these tanks.Maybe it would help with some of the stress from dealing with DH.
They used to be about US$3k-$3.5k per. Of course you can rent them for about US$1 minute. (Been a while though)
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (04-09-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
My ex did it around 1990, and told me I should try it. I wanted to, but I was a broke university student. I think it would be cool to try at least once.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
andy
Senior Level 5

It would be a lot (!!!!!!!) more expensive now..... depending on the features.
Feather (04-09-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
andy
Senior Level 5

This is the tank I would use. The air flow is adjustable and filtered to remove volatiles (scents).

A refinement would be to insulate all the sides with 1" glass pack (used for ovens and aluminized adhesive tape. The lid opens by simply sliding it down. The chamber needs a fluid control system to adjust and keep temperature.

Of course is would have to install a lot of electronics like and LCD screen and an alarm, and a cool stereo system, and a refrigerator....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010015_small1.jpg (6.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #11
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,458 Times in 429 Posts
The mere thought of this is enough to make me break out in a cold sweat. No way in hell I'd ever get into one willingly.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
andy
Senior Level 5

I have been thinking a lot about this. Hypothetically, after reading the above plans, I realize my potential tank would have to be larger - about 4-5 foot wide, 4 foot tall (and inclined to 2 1/2 - 3' at the "entry end". Actually, the designed would have to be organized within the 4 x 8 standard sheet of Plexiglas/plywood.

Tags
anxiety, deprivation, reduction, sensory, tanks