Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,692 Times in 4,660 Posts
Default Forum Rules

The rule is very simple.

No personal attacks against members of this board.

This forum is a place for you to express your opinion about political topics. I encourage everyone to post articles, engage each other in debate, question policies, rip into ideas, examine the records, discuss the personalities of public figures, and express your opinions regarding the thread topic in your posts.

When you post, address the TOPIC, not other members. We're not here to debate each other's personalities. We're here to debate politics. So do not sling mud at another board member. No insults, accusations, or insinuations.

This is okay: "Your idea won't work, because..."
This is not okay: "You are an idiot."

This is okay: "According to Reuters, public opinion has changed since X"
This is not okay: "You're bitter because of X"

This is okay: "I think a better idea is..."
This is not okay: "only a stupid idiot would say something like that".

We're not in fourth grade. If you dislike another member, call them out to a knock down drag out no holds barred fight in the Dungeon, or put them on ignore.

Make a personal attack in this forum and it will be moved to a non-member area. Make a habit of making personal attacks and YOU will be moved to a non-member area.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,462 Times in 431 Posts
THANK YOU!!!

I like discussing issues but all too often on too many boards, the issue gets buried under personal attacks by one member on another. So there is an interesting topic, click on it and end up reading a page or two of name calling.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Mountain Man
Member Level 1

I was worried that my only forum would disappear.Thanks for continuing it. With no cable TV,and no dish service(too expensive and scattered), I rely on this forum for news and views.I dislike mud slinging and personal attacks.Don't need em,don't want em.
I hope we have a great forum and am looking forward to coming here every day!!
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
TheStripey1
Another Recovering Republican

Excellent rule... thank you...

I have been on forums where insulting is not only allowed, but encouraged by the staff who often joined in bashing their opposition... we on the left...

I rarely visit those sites anymore except to snag poor lefties caught in their web and take them to the safety of sites that don't allow that type of anti-social juvenile behavior.

Most are grateful for the change in scenery but I have seen some of them go back...

Might I be so bold as to suggest limiting the size of quotes from published articles for copyright reasons be added to your list of one rule. Copyright infringement can be very costly.

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
~~ Socrates
TheStripey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Birdzeye

Excellent rule. I find that the best forums are the ones who have that rule, and enforce it evenhandedly. (Even then, the mods always get accused of bias anyhow. )

I have two other suggestions:

No spam. I think spam should include posting the same message on several threads. Also, the occasional bozo who registers just to start a thread advertising the latest sexual aid.

No duplicate threads. Now I've been guilty of starting a thread that turned out to be a dupe of another, and I've been embarrassed by it. When that happened, I had no problem with the mod deleting my thread.

Sometimes, however, you get a poster who just wants to be a pain and will deliberately start multiple threads.

What I'm driving at is, I think the mods should reserve the right to delete duplicate threads and take disciplinary action if it appears that it's being done deliberately.
Birdzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Flint
Member Level 5

If I understand these rules correctly, we're permitted to note that someone is wrong, we can even note this repeatedly (with appropriate documentation, etc.). But what's off limits is any speculation as to WHY someone is consistently and flagrantly wrong.

So I suspect the rules are, we CAN call someone an idiot, provided we don't use that WORD, which is a bad word. We must instead SHOW that someone is an idiot, using the merits of the issue and the facts on the ground.

As most people know, there are only two opinions about anything: mine, and wrong. If there were a better opinion than mine, I'd hold it already. There's no reasons other than perversity and ignorance for holding opinions I disagree with. Only Bad People hold wrong opinions, see?

The soapbox should resemble a boxing ring. There are rules against certain tactics like hitting below the belt, head butts, kicking, biting, eye gouging, etc. But nonetheless, boxing is very much a contact sport, and participants can expect to face serious hostility. Otherwise, there's no sport to it anymore.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flint For This Useful Post:
UGAECONOMIST (08-28-2016)
Old 09-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Misty
Member Level 5

Quote:
Might I be so bold as to suggest limiting the size of quotes from published articles for copyright reasons be added to your list of one rule. Copyright infringement can be very costly
What are the guidelines for copying parts or even all of something that's been published on the web? I'm unsure about this. I read that the Associated Press has some sort of rule against it for their articles but I haven't read anything specific for what you can or can't do on a forum like CE.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
Susan4
4ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
As most people know, there are only two opinions about anything: mine, and wrong.
Oh that's a Flint! We'd accept no substitutes

Hiya guy! Good to see you.
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
flourbug

Flint, just pretend you are arguing with your Poly Sci professor and you REALLY need a good grade.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
flourbug

Quote:
What are the guidelines for copying parts or even all of something that's been published on the web?
Fair use allows anyone to post several sentences and a link to the source. More than that, and you (the person making the post) are responsible for getting permission from the author.

If you do not get permission, and the author or his authorized agent complains, then we may have to edit or completely remove the article from our site in order to comply with the law.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
Misty
Member Level 5

Thanks fb. That helps a lot!
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Michael
Senior Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post
What are the guidelines for copying parts or even all of something that's been published on the web? I'm unsure about this. I read that the Associated Press has some sort of rule against it for their articles but I haven't read anything specific for what you can or can't do on a forum like CE.
As I understand the law on this, you can post a few paragraphs, and give a link, as that can be considered advertisement for the article and author for people to follow the link to the source article. It may help to post "to read the entire article, go to this link" by the link itself.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
flourbug

Quote:
can be considered advertisement for the article and author for people to follow the link to the source article
Michael raises a good point. Many of the authors of the articles that are posted on CE depend on income from the sites that originally published their works. If you like what you see posted here, support that author by following the link and get yourself counted as a reader - and of course it always helps to click on some of their ads to bring revenue to the site.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,955 Times in 687 Posts
Some sources like Stratfor allow posting of complete articles and mention this specifically at the end, as long as you clearly mention where the article came from.

Ter
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
warren
three dogs, three guitars, three opinions

That's a good rule...

You know, now that the election is over, we may still have some healing to do. Lot's of really (I mean REALLY) upset folks out there. They're upset because it didn't go their way and they can not comprehend why most of us voted for Barack.

For two years I saw anti-Obama posts of all sorts, including the smears and lies. And hardly a time did I see a pro-McCain post. They weren't "for" someone, they were "against" someone.

warren.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
flourbug

warren, since you are a newcomer (though not new to the community) I'd like to invite you to take a look at the polls in this forum. I am trying to get a better idea of what the community wants as standards, and how we should react to infractions. But most importantly of all, it brings our members to the understanding that moderators can only react to what is reported to us, the tone of the board is up to everyone.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
warren
three dogs, three guitars, three opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
warren, since you are a newcomer (though not new to the community) I'd like to invite you to take a look at the polls in this forum. I am trying to get a better idea of what the community wants as standards, and how we should react to infractions. But most importantly of all, it brings our members to the understanding that moderators can only react to what is reported to us, the tone of the board is up to everyone.
Thanks. I did look at the polls already. Looks like to me most people don't want a lot of tight rules; just good judgement on a case by case basis.

warren.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #18
jason
Official Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Michael raises a good point. Many of the authors of the articles that are posted on CE depend on income from the sites that originally published their works. If you like what you see posted here, support that author by following the link and get yourself counted as a reader - and of course it always helps to click on some of their ads to bring revenue to the site.
I only post a few sentences and link to the source for the rest.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #19
gsgs
searching for truth

there must be other, hidden rules.

e.g. : don't repeatedly suggest to merge forums

and such
Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #20
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

I think that comes under the 'do not annoy the staff by repeating the same suggestions, or slight variations thereof, over, and over, and over....' rule. That is not really a rule. It is more the sort of common courtesy and common sense that should come into play in any social interaction.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
lilly

I remain annoyed at being called dishonest. I remain annoyed at being labled by ought six as intellectually dishonest. While I will not make any formal complaints

I am disgusted by his refusal to apologize.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #22
dreadstalker
Member Level 4

I normally post a few paragraphs from an article and provide a link. If that needs changed let me know.

Tags
forum, rules