Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,819 Times in 4,718 Posts
Default About those enzyme pills...

MaxtheKnife recommended digestive enzymes as a way to lose weight. I tried them and promised a report.

I didn't lose weight. I'm allergic to one or more of the ingredients.

From the first day I took them I had an excess of flatulence. I couldn't rustle up a good belch if my life depended on it. But on those enzymes, YIKES! It was like my gut was carbonating and looking for any and every way out. They HAD to be working. Obviously I was much in need of these magic pills. They would set my gut to working right, or so I thought.

06 recommended pro-biotics. But, me being me, of course I forgot the next time I was in the health food store. I continued to take the enzyme pills for a few more days... but then I got sick. Another thing I almost never do is vomit. But one evening shortly after dinner my stomach turned over and out it came. Yuck. I think I'll wait for the pro-biotics to try again.

I got a good brand of pro-biotics on Saturday. I waited until I was alone in the house this morning to start taking them again. Got Jason off to work, Mike off to school, took one enzyme pill, one pro-biotic, and sat down to a good breakfast.

A half hour later I was in the bathroom, as sick as a dog. I barfed my guts up for over an hour with the other end glued to the potty. I was sweating, chills, shaking like I was going into shock, and every time I thought it was over... back for more. At 11:30 I slid into bed and slept for 2 solid hours, not hearing the phone ring or anyone messaging me.

It was as much fun as prepping for a colonoscopy - with vomiting.

Time for google. It seems that some people have reactions to the different enzymes. High on my list of suspects is Bromelain.

Well, it is good to know that I have a reaction. Now I can avoid it in the future. If I can ever eat again...
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

Wow! I have been recommending both digestive enzymes and probiotics to people for over a decade, and I have never even heard of anyone having a reaction like that!
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
flourbug

That's why I kept taking them! It COULDN'T be the pills. They're supposed to help restore natural balance after an illness, not cause it.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
So....any way to buy each enzyme separate and see which works and which is not working for ya?

Link to the info on different reactions pls.

Hope you feel better real soon. (hug)
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
flourbug

I'm fine now.. other than feeling like the first day out of bed after the flu.

But I think I'll hold off the experiments for a few weeks. I have no desire to revisit the experience just yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,296 Times in 1,771 Posts
Do you have any problem with fresh pineapple? Its main natural enzyme is Bromelain.

Are you taking a vegetarian enzyme? I have a bit of a problem with the non-vegetarian ones (it may be mental).

We take our enzymes AFTER a meal. perhaps that would help.

Probiotics can be taken before meals, to me that makes good sense.

Personally, I suspect that you're full of sh!t. You're gut may be reacting to the enzymes and probiotics with rebellion and toxic release. It might be worth trying to cleanse your colon with things like prunes, apples, grapes, olive oil etc. by eating them between and after meals (give it an hour or so before eating them). The flatulance could be from gasses caught up in partially digested food that has been stuck in the folds of your intestines. When the food bolus gets stuck like that mucous will begin to cover it. The digestive enzymes would beging to break that down and release the "rotting" food and associated toxins/gas. What you are expeniencing (including flu like symptoms and vomiting) may well be a result of this.

Do you have gluten problems? Those mucous coated food capsules can stay in your gut folds and diverticuli for years. The liberation of them and their contents can cause quite a stir in your immune system.

Max and I both had some milder symptoms like you are experiencing when we first introduced this protocol. It took a few days of perseverance to get past it. You might want to try reducing you're enzyme dosage and see how that affects you. I doubt the probiotics are causing it....but of course you never know.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
flourbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue gecko View Post
Do you have any problem with fresh pineapple? Its main natural enzyme is Bromelain.
I don't - but my youngest daughter is allergic to pineapple, some pine trees (tongue swells if she eats pineapple, and hives if she touches trees) and she was lactose intolerant as a child. So I'm thinking maybe I have a very mild allergy that was pushed over the edge by the high amount of bromelain or lactase.

Quote:
Are you taking a vegetarian enzyme?
Yes. Maxi-zyme caps.

Quote:
We take our enzymes AFTER a meal. perhaps that would help.
I'm not going to take them again. I had a pretty severe reaction - not just the purging but also intense sweating, chills, pounding heart and weakness. I stumbled into the bed and didn't pull up the covers even though I was freezing. I slept for two and a half hours that way, in the middle of the day, and I slept through several phone calls. That's not ME, bg. I'd like to know what I am allergic to but I'm concerned that the next time I could end up in the hospital.

Quote:
Probiotics can be taken before meals, to me that makes good sense.
I'm sure it wasn't the probiotics.

Quote:
Personally, I suspect that you're full of sh!t.
ROFL! Many would agree with you!

Quote:
You're gut may be reacting to the enzymes and probiotics with rebellion and toxic release. It might be worth trying to cleanse your colon with things like prunes, apples, grapes, olive oil etc. by eating them between and after meals (give it an hour or so before eating them).
That IS my meal. LOL. I graze all day - nuts and dried fruit, veggies, grapes and watermelon, pears, apples, maybe a slice of whole grain bread with honey. Then when Jason comes home I'll have a small bit of whatever I've made for him. I hadn't had anything to eat since lunchtime Monday, so Tuesday morning I had a scrambled egg for breakfast because I was so empty. It didn't take long to get that out and then I was just dry heaving.

Quote:
Do you have gluten problems? Those mucous coated food capsules can stay in your gut folds and diverticuli for years. The liberation of them and their contents can cause quite a stir in your immune system.
Nope. No problems at all.

Quote:
Max and I both had some milder symptoms like you are experiencing when we first introduced this protocol. It took a few days of perseverance to get past it.
I had the mild symptoms the first week. I have 61 pills left in a bottle of 120, so I was taking three a day for several weeks before I had a really bad reaction.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,296 Times in 1,771 Posts
I had the mild symptoms the first week. I have 61 pills left in a bottle of 120, so I was taking three a day for several weeks before I had a really bad reaction.

That makes me scratch my head. Seems like if you were having a reaction to the enzymes it would have occurred much earlier than now.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
flourbug

I'm scratching my head over this too.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
sandyd
Beach Fun

It could have nothing to do with the enzymes. I've had food poisoning bad enough that I could not hold down food for 3 days and worse, I screwed up and had dairy near day 5 once I was feeling better and eating again....and found milk/cheese and the left over bacteria in my system really liked each other and got sick alllll over again for two days.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
flourbug

My first thought was food poisoning, but Jason ate exactly the same things - and he didn't get sick.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,110 Times in 653 Posts
I bet those enzymes don't have a package insert that describes the most common side-effects??
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,134 Times in 5,079 Posts
Here they are:

***SIDE EFFECTS: This medication may cause diarrhea, constipation, stomach ache, nausea, bloating, gas, loss of appetite, headache, fatigue or dizziness the first few days as your body adjusts to it. If these effects persist or become bothersome, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: a skin rash, severe stomach distress. This medication may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Use caution when driving or performing tasks requiring alertness. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.***

http://www.medicinenet.com/digestive...al/article.htm
Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

I take digestive enzymes with dinner every night, and probiotics a few times a week. I have never had any of those side effects.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,110 Times in 653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Here they are:

***SIDE EFFECTS: This medication may cause diarrhea, constipation, stomach ache, nausea, bloating, gas, loss of appetite, headache, fatigue or dizziness the first few days as your body adjusts to it. If these effects persist or become bothersome, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: a skin rash, severe stomach distress. This medication may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Use caution when driving or performing tasks requiring alertness. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.***

http://www.medicinenet.com/digestive...al/article.htm
Wow. Some of the things FB experienced..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

It's like any form of medication or treatment - there's a range of possible side effects. Some people may experience none at all while others get so many, so severely, the medication has to be discontinued in favour of something else.

My anti-depressant is producing an apparently quite rare side effect. Periodically, a tiny area of my skin will feel as though an ice cold drop of water has just hit it. I'd SWEAR it was wet. I also experience some numbness, tingling & minor swelling in my feet - nothing other than mildly annoying.

Even so called 'inert' ingredients in meds can cause some people problems.

A lot of drug therapy still reamins an individualized trial and error process.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
My first thought was food poisoning, but Jason ate exactly the same things - and he didn't get sick.
While it could be a late reaction to the enzymes, I bet you touched things Jason didn't and no matter how careful, may have touched your mouth after touching something not so good....washing dishes? laundry? pets? pet food? etc.....

I can see stopping the enzymes but I would not rule out other possibles. Ya know?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
sandyd
Beach Fun

CS...that is one weird side effect. It's documented as from that med?

I understand it's a med designed to change brain chemistry.....so anything is possible. When I worked mental health, the rule had to be "anything can be a side effect" cuz brains do it all.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
flourbug

Quote:
While it could be a late reaction to the enzymes, I bet you touched things Jason didn't and no matter how careful, may have touched your mouth after touching something not so good....washing dishes? laundry? pets? pet food? etc.....
Yeah, my hands are always in nasty stuff - all that and more. But I wash my hands frequently and very well, and I am pretty good at keeping my hands away from my face.

I'm not doing anything different EXCEPT the enzymes and probiotics.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #20
sandyd
Beach Fun

I understand and would be stopping the enzymes too but I'd know....as you do, my hands are often in ick and ick happens...

I sometimes get a jolt of fear when I touch ick and then touch something and then wash and then see myself touch that something again....*panic*...wash again/wash the something I touched....and I wonder....

how often do I do that and NOT see myself doing it? *sigh*

I generally am very grateful to my immune system. Cuz I have no idea how often I goof and don't catch it.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Yeah, it's even in the package insert - it's an odd sensation, I'll tell you. Could be worse - at least I'm not getting the same pin point burning sensation. It only lasts a second or so - it's just really odd, especially on a hot day...LOL

Let me see if the package insert from this sepcific formulation is online - hang on...
Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
flourbug

Bird flu really made me aware of how often I rub my eyes, push hair off my face, scratch my nose, etc. I made a real effort to stop, and to some extent it has worked, though one day you will likely hear me complain that I poked myself in the eye with a knitting needle.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Weird - it's not online. My package insert states 'abnormal skin sensations' & my doc looked it up... siad it was rare but not unheard of. Odd though - trying to find that I found that slight problems with balance can be a side effect. I've noticed that since I statrted taking it; nothing major but something to watch.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #24
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,342 Times in 2,097 Posts
Sue, do you mind if I ask what anti-depressant? I'm also on a very low dosage of an older tri-cyclic (Adapin/Sinequan/doxepin) to improve stage-IV sleep, and I get that drop-of-water sensation from time to time also, in circumstances that actual water dripping on me would be impossible. Also the pinpoint burning, like you've been stabbed with a red-hot needle.
Mama Alanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
sandyd
Beach Fun

Online rarely lists every reported side effect. But docs get access to them. Then you have the docs who heard a side effect and decided not to report it as such (hey, it does take time away and if it's not a big deal....I understand) and so you seem unique with your very own side effect.

I never heard of it with doxepin but I can't see why it couldn't be one.

Tags
enzyme, pills