Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #51
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
It's more about keeping the house or woods from burning down while you make dinner than generating the heat needed to cook what's in the pot.
Around here, it is the opposite. The woods and everything else are constantly damp, if not heavily soaked. You could not set the woods on fire with a flamethrower. The battle is finding fuel that is dry enough to burn, and enough of it to actually cook something and to keep warm.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #52
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,882 Times in 4,744 Posts
I understand, we have a similar situation in Florida during the summer. When we hang up our towels after a dip in the pool, they get wetter.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #53
DBA
Member Level 2

I have a Kelly Ketle and I had posted on the old site way back when on how much fuel it used and how long it took to boil water. I remember it was pretty efficient on fuel, just don't remember how long it took. Perhaps I should dig it out and try again.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #54
DBA
Member Level 2

I had some time on my hands and was already dressed for outside (-18C here tonight) so I got my Kelly Kettle out to do the test. It's a 1 pint version and I filled it with house temperature water from the outside tap.

I put a few small pieces of news paper in the burn tray and added some willow twigs with some slivers of cedar shingle. Once I had a good flame I added a few pieces of kindling split from a 4 inch piece of spruce 2x4. As soon as a good healthy flame was going the water was boiling. 4 minutes.

Then I lifted the kettle off, poured out the water and refilled. Set aside the larger semi burnt pieces of wood that spilled over the burn tray so I could put the kettle back down. Shoved a small ball of news paper down the kettle and added the set aside pieces on top. Re-lit the paper and with the hot embers already present in the tray I had flames very quickly. I barely had to add more fuel before the water was boiling. 3 minutes.

I am truly amazed how little fuel is required. The only thing is once the water is boiling it spews out and runs down the side of the kettle into the burn tray quenching the coals. So I quickly tilted the whole affair and stuck a piece of kindling underneath so the boiling water misses the tray.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBA For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (01-21-2012)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #55
flourbug

Bumping this thread.

I bought a Sun Oven last month. One of my concerns is storm related power outages.

The reviews of the Sun Oven gave it good marks for cooking, but said there was a strong unpleasant odor that got into the food the first few times it was used.

It comes assembled. Unsnap the strap holding the mirrors down, open them up, open the glass door, and you are ready to cook. I cleaned everything in hot soapy water and did not experience any odors.

The Sun Oven gets up to 200F in about an hour, 350 in 90 minutes or so. I did not experience a big drop in temp when I opened the oven. 11 to 2 is cook time. Before and after that the temperature does not go as high.

It is more like a slow cooker than an oven. All cook times were 2 - 3 times as long as it would take in a regular oven. I repositioned it every 15 minutes. That is easy to do as the oven casts a shadow with "wings" and when the wings are equal in size then the oven is perfectly aligned to receive the most sunshine.

Bread - 2 loaves of Amish White Bread came out fine. Taste, crumb, and texture was all acceptable. I let them do the final 1/2 of their rise in the Sun Oven as recommended, and I won't do that again as the bread was a little denser than oven baked. The only "issue" is the top of the loaves do not brown. They stay a pasty white color. I popped mine under the broiler for a few seconds but that just made it look like a failed turkey dinner. No one seemed to mind but fb-the-perfectionist. The bread was gobbled up.

Rice - cooked like a dream.

Baked potatoes, white and sweet, steamed veggies - set 'em and forget 'em. I put vegetables in with the rice in a double stacked graniteware pot that came with the oven.

Lasagna. This was a REAL test. I assembled homemade uncooked noodles, hot meat and sauce, and a cold cheese mixture, stacked together in a large Pampered Chef stone baker. It was dense and very heavy. I put it in at 11 am and let it cook all afternoon. By 5 pm it was steaming hot and looked and smelled delicious. Then I dropped the oven with the baker inside, on the ground. (The bottom is smooth, the table was smooth, the ground was uneven... and it slipped right off the table as I was repositioning it. Horrors.) Amazingly, while the lasagna slopped into the interior of the oven the glass door held shut and I was able to salvage our dinner. The Sun Oven had some light damage - the weight of the pot bent the shelf but it was easy to bend back, and there was a slight scrape on the back wall from the rough stoneware bottom. Other than that, the Sun Oven held up amazingly well - no scratches or dents on the glass, mirrors, or exterior of the body.

I tried cooking inside our pool cage... temp get up to 200-250F but drops to temps below 200F outside the golden 11-2pm zone. It would work for heating water, keeping coffee hot, keeping soups etc at serving temps. I can even see it as a good way to heat blankets and towels if you are in a cold climate.

All in all I say this is a good item to have in a well prepped home. Outside in full sun seems to work best, but if TSHTF I may need a ladder to a platform on the roof, because there really isn't a way to hide this thing in a suburban setting. If you park it in your yard you'll need someone to guard it or it will be stolen.

Last edited by flourbug; 03-25-2013 at 07:54 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-25-2013), Exodia (03-25-2013), NowVoyager (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #56
wvtreehanger

I have one as well. Never thought of heating blankets with it. Thanks for the idea.
wvtreehanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #57
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,921 Posts
I built one out of a nice insulated box.

They are really great for beans. Like you said more of a slow cooker.

Probably great for soups where you want everything to fall apart.

Well seasoned black cast iron is the best in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtreehanger View Post
I have one as well. Never thought of heating blankets with it. Thanks for the idea.
How about heating up flat stones the size of dinner plates to go into the bed?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #58
flourbug

Quote:
Well seasoned black cast iron is the best in my opinion.
Is it? They said to use thin black metal, so I have been looking for graniteware and can't find smaller pots. I have a ton of cast iron.

Also, have you tried aluminum foil? Some say to use it as it reflects heat inside the oven, while others say not to use it since it reflects heat outside.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #59
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,978 Times in 2,224 Posts
I have a coil of unfinished aluminum that I have been saving to make a solar collector/oven, but have never gotten around to it Glad to hear of some folks who have had some real success.

Anyone north of the mason-dixon line have any stories to tell?
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #60
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,508 Times in 684 Posts
Recently watched a youtube video where this guy was using one of the screens from an old projection tv to melt glass and aluminum

Here are some similar ones....I am thinking this directed on a hunk of steel or some rocks/outside of a brick oven might work pretty good

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #61
flourbug

Quote:
Anyone north of the mason-dixon line have any stories to tell?
Silly northman. You do not get sun. You get snow!

... but seriously, there are some YT videos showing people in northern climates using their sun oven in the winter. It was only in the 50's here when I used mine so cold does not seem to affect it all that much. It is any type of shade - screens, trees, clouds, that will really cut its ability to heat up for any length of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Exodia (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #62
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Is it? They said to use thin black metal, so I have been looking for graniteware and can't find smaller pots. I have a ton of cast iron.

Also, have you tried aluminum foil? Some say to use it as it reflects heat inside the oven, while others say not to use it since it reflects heat outside.
I like the older black cast iron because it is a heat sink. Stone ware would probably also work if dark.

I think it is the black color and the mass that matters.

My box is lined with that 1" aluminized insulation that is used in homes. Seems to work well. I am of the opinion rays that miss the pot directly are "ricocheted" onto the pot.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryan View Post
Recently watched a youtube video where this guy was using one of the screens from an old projection tv to melt glass and aluminum

Here are some similar ones....I am thinking this directed on a hunk of steel or some rocks/outside of a brick oven might work pretty good
I would try a fresnel lens from an overhead projector first instead of one of these from a projection TV.

One of those bad boys would melt the clear top of a solar oven even if not focused correctly.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #63
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,508 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
I like the older black cast iron because it is a heat sink. Stone ware would probably also work if dark.

I think it is the black color and the mass that matters.

My box is lined with that 1" aluminized insulation that is used in homes. Seems to work well. I am of the opinion rays that miss the pot directly are "ricocheted" onto the pot.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

I would try a fresnel lens from an overhead projector first instead of one of these from a projection TV.

One of those bad boys would melt the clear top of a solar oven even if not focused correctly.

Yeah, I was thinking of aiming it at a large rock/anvil under a dutch oven or similar

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #64
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,320 Times in 1,778 Posts
A couple of days ago Max spotted a fresnel lens at a thrift store. It was marked as a page magnifier and priced 99 cents. Today we went back and bought it! We're going to play with this idea.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #65
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue gecko View Post
A couple of days ago Max spotted a fresnel lens at a thrift store. It was marked as a page magnifier and priced 99 cents. Today we went back and bought it! We're going to play with this idea.

I made one on a stand that kind of like an embroidery hoop stand.

Kind of like the one for the large Fresnel above.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #66
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

This one is 8 1/2 x 11 so I'm thinking I could find a wooden picture frame that would work.

We have an insulated cooker like this but a different brand:

Amazon
You heat the pot ingredients to a boil then put it in the insulated outer shell, lock it down and a few hours later you've got a piping hot well cooked meal. Its pretty handy.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #67
flourbug

bg, I have one of those and use it all the time. I put a pot of soup on in the morning, put it in the thermos, and then whenever I am ready to eat it is nice and hot. I wonder if the inner pot is too reflective for the solar cooker. I can definitely see letting it come up to heat in the solar cooker, then storing in the thermos.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #68
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I think it would be worth testing fb. The fresnel lens focuses the light into a hot spot so I have an idea that you could bring the contents to a boil even if it meant focusing the hot spot on the food inside. You might not want to use the vaporizing section of the beam though LOL. If you have an infared thermometer you could check the temp of the food at the point of contact with the focused light and go from there.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #69
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue gecko View Post
This one is 8 1/2 x 11 so I'm thinking I could find a wooden picture frame that would work.

We have an insulated cooker like this but a different brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SN-X...ed+slow+cooker

You heat the pot ingredients to a boil then put it in the insulated outer shell, lock it down and a few hours later you've got a piping hot well cooked meal. Its pretty handy.
Seems like a lot of cash for something you can made easily.

I saw the plans on the internet years back and made a more permanent one out of a sealing wood box. A lot of rural 3rd world people use it to save cooking fuel.

Bring beans, rice, soup, whatever to a boil, place in insulated wooden box, close and leave it several hours.

Mine is also out of wood, lined with some of that silver backed foam board for houses, put the pot in and stuff more insulation in the spaces.

Not mine but mine is top loading. Stain it, put a fancy handle on it and it could go on the counter of the kitchen.

Insulated cooler version

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Here is one in a kitchen drawer.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #70
flourbug

Pote, it's just more convenient version of the haybox. A haybox is fine if you are cooking and eating in the same place. I like the thermos version because it is portable. I can bring it outside, or take it with me in the car, which makes it ideal for pot luck dinners and picnics.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #71
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Love those haybox designs Pote! Like fb I like the portability of the insulated cooker and often take it to potlucks and such. This is the version I have:

Amazon
I caught it on sale sometime back and paid less than even this sale price.

Last edited by blue gecko; 03-26-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #72
flourbug

That's the same one I have... I think I paid $89 for it about 5 years ago. Very spendy for my budget but it has probably ended up costing about 5 cents per use. lol
Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #73
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,489 Posts
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2015/07/2...ek-crisis.html

Ferfal's 20 lessons from the Greek crisis
Old 11-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #74
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,489 Posts

OMG, it's here, it's here!
http://moneywise411.com/us-senator-g...dg et_id=5249

Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #75
gsgs
searching for truth

what's ATM ? what is this about ? how often were similar
warnings issued in the past, but then nothing happened ?

> the CEO of the largest hedge fund in the world

I'd expect him to invest in some CDSs or options or futures
and not call his wife to go to an ATM, whatever that is.
Except for the planned publicity ... distracting people who
don't understand about financial instruments.

-----------------edit---------------
ATM=automated teller machine=Geldautomat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_teller_machine

Last edited by gsgs; 11-15-2015 at 02:51 PM.
gsgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collapse, economic, prepping