Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Economy > Investing for Peak Oil

Investing for Peak Oil Surviving Peak Oil financially is a problem we will all confront sooner or later.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
ltow
lurker level 3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Abiogenic Petroleum,

Combinations of Hydrogen and Carbon atoms are said to exist as Oceans of liquid methane on at least one of Saturn's moons. So it is logical to me that their formation was "Abiogenic". But I suspect the term means something else to those who's thinkings are considered elements of the fringe..

!
The problem on Titan is - where is the ethane?
It suggests something likes to go nom nom nom nom on it.
Not likely we'll get the answer in our lifetimes.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ha...tan_999. html
Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #27
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

There is no question that some hydrocarbons have fossil origins. After all, finding plant fossils in coal is quite common. But that does not mean that even with coal, deep underground bacteria were not a vital part of the process of creating it.

There may well be bacteria that live off of methane deep in the Earth. They have heat, minerals, water and hydrocarbons down there; everything that is needed for life. To think that over billions of years that nothing ever evolved to fill that ecological niche would make that part of the crust unlike anywhere else on the planet, except the very hot core. "Life always finds a way". Looking at bacterial mats in other extremely hot environments (like the mineral pools at Yosemite), they definitely leave behind goo as they die. The same is true of bacteria colonies living in and around thermal vents known as 'black smokers' on the ocean floor.

So we know that bacteria can not only live, but thrive in such hostile environments, even without light. Bacteria have been found 30k+ feet deep, as per my quoted material above. All the elements are there. I see no reason that bacterial goo could not be cooked into oil, rise up through cracks, and collect under impermeable layers. No one has proposed anything yet that rules out my hypothesis. It does seem possible.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #28
benjamindees
Member Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
If this is true, that could be the constantly renewing source of hydrocarbons deep in the Earth.
And by "constantly renewing", I assume you mean "as long as sufficient feedstocks and heat and pressure are available"?
benjamindees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #29
Pablo Escobar
Senior Level 1

Don't forget "with sufficient time"......

Just because the abiogenic theory posits that oil comes from planetary formation, and drilling into the earth only extracts the top layers, doesn't mean that it still didn't take a billion years to turn the primordial methane to oil.....
Pablo Escobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #30
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

I have discussed this many time with many people before. I understand that such processes are very unlikely to happen in really short timeframes. But if the abiotic theory is correct, then there is oil in a lot more places than we currently think.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #31
Pablo Escobar
Senior Level 1

concur
Pablo Escobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
Curious
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
an even more intriguing theory, which is just wacked enough it could be true, is the growing earth hypothesis.....

What if the major tectonic plates are not constantly submerging under each other? What if the earth is gradually growing in size?

What if at a certain gravity point, an interdimensional breach occurs and the bottom of a gravity well attacts/forms matter from an unknown process?

If true, and this matter is "created", it most likely is created in ratios that mimic the current ratios we see on an atomic chart.

Thus, this matter has no where to go but to make the earth grow from the inside out.

Science fiction, probably, but it does solve quite a few problems.
The inverse of Einstein's E=MC2 is of course that energy "should" be able to be turned into mass.

The "growing earth" theory, as I understand it operates under the rubic that somehow the earth (but not necessarily all planets) acts as a giant energy collector and over time coverts the energy it is receiving into additional mass.

We do know that not all energy that hits the earth stays on the surface. Some goes deep into it before being absorbed and some even passes clearly through the earth. I am not sure that under a string theory concept that we are even able to measure all the various kinds of energy that our earth is being bombarded with, and possibly absorbing.

wrt Abiotic Oil (this thread) the fact that we are now discovering basic methane gasses in other locations where they could NOT be generated by biotic means means that at least the basic building block of oil, hydrocarbons, do NOT apparently need plant or animal life in order to be generated. Just as we can now artificially create diamonds in factories by applying high heat and pressure (there is a diamond "factory" just down the road from me) there is imo the possibility that the high heat and pressure of the inner earth could compress simple methane enough to cause it to also end up with joined carbon chains ... ie: oil.

The deeper in the earth that we find oil imo increases that possibility that Abiotic Oil is real and that the earth itself "manufacturers", or has manufacturered, oil over the time of it's existance.

Scientists probably will not come to a conclusion about Abiotic Oil until I am long gone ... and the "Growing Earth" theory will probably kick around just as a crazy theory for a couple of hundred more years even if it does end up being true (remember how long it took the Catholic Church to accept the fact that the earth revolved around the sun? new scientific theories take very very long periods of time to be accepted even if they are later shown to be a scientific fact - at which time everyone wonders why it took everyone so long to see the "obvious" ... it is just the way "science" and humans work through complex changes to their underlying belief systems)
Curious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abiogenic, origin, petroleum