Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs

Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs Tips for maintaining your car, boat, and all things mechanical.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,787 Times in 2,862 Posts
Default Automobile antifreeze

Because of the freezing weather here in Houston, I had a few questions those up north may help with.

Antifreeze here is mostly anti-boil over for automobiles in the hot summer. It also has a secondary duty for the few days a year it freezes. Remember, here, it might be a light freeze overnight 28-32F then come up to 50 during the day.

Rarely do we get continuous freezing for 3-4 days or dip down into the teens.

OK, I tested my antifreeze with a tester and it says it was good down to 0F.

But it really is a home made chemical solution? What kind of variance do you really have?

What do you do? Not think about it? 100% antifreeze? Something in the middle?

When I was young one of my vehicles froze and pushed several of the freeze plugs out of the engine. Yea, I know that is what they are made for but it was really a big hit at that point in my life. (Money, no vehicle, etc. ) Now, I am paranoid.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,484 Times in 677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Because of the freezing weather here in Houston, I had a few questions those up north may help with.

Antifreeze here is mostly anti-boil over for automobiles in the hot summer. It also has a secondary duty for the few days a year it freezes. Remember, here, it might be a light freeze overnight 28-32F then come up to 50 during the day.

Rarely do we get continuous freezing for 3-4 days or dip down into the teens.

OK, I tested my antifreeze with a tester and it says it was good down to 0F.

But it really is a home made chemical solution? What kind of variance do you really have?

What do you do? Not think about it? 100% antifreeze? Something in the middle?

When I was young one of my vehicles froze and pushed several of the freeze plugs out of the engine. Yea, I know that is what they are made for but it was really a big hit at that point in my life. (Money, no vehicle, etc. ) Now, I am paranoid.
50/50% will be more than adequate. When I lived in Texas a ran about a 70/30 water/antifreeze mix.

Unless something has happened I am unaware of (quite possible) antifreeze does not cool as well as water and 100% is not a good idea unless you are dealing with -40F for weeks straight.

Up here I run 25/75 water/af and I have not had a freeze up yet despite long spells (weeks) where we did not get above -15F.

yeah, I learned the freeze plug lesson when I was 16. Never forget that one

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, automobile