Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Samen
unregistered

Default Diabetes mellitus type 2 in children

Headlines read:
because of the epidemic of obesity and inactivity in children, ...

How about on the spot or slightly under the national recommended weight curve, active, at least 5 hours a day outside (3 in mid winter), soccer team, biking, skateboarding, skiing, walking, fishing, boating and all around active kids.

Sweats and sodas yes, out of curiosity took some 12h fast morning blood sugar values on the kids, one was 7.4 (higher than mine), one was 5.5

After one week of a non sugar diet, no candy no soda no ice cream no fast carbs no computer no cell phones 7.4 dropped to 5.7 and 5.5 to 4.8

Not going to put them into the "system" at this point as that would screw up their life's for good but the one with higher values, will C a doctor in one month is it docent start staying at, below or near 5 with a 12 h fast.

So much about that, how about some discussion on the subject. Especially why are they saying "epidemic of obesity and inactivity in children... and type 2" has it spread to to normal weight active kids also and why?

How to make a non obese active kid more non obese and active, what is it in our times that has changed, whats causing this.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,263 Times in 5,125 Posts
Errand to run - then I'll get back to you om that.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,283 Posts
Take away all forms of electric entertainment for everyone. That will give you more people doing more things together, and learning to play. A lack of cars helps too. In our current day and age, I don't see changes like this happening easily. Maybe rules could help. Something like, only one hour of electric entertainment per day. No automated transport under 5 km, or 15 km if you can use bicycles. Put all electric entertainment on a pedal generator for power.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Samen - a lot of parents go racing back to the doctor in a blind panic after a diagnosis of childhood Type 2 or any pre-siabetic condition. "What do we do? Are there pils my child can take?"

The solution as you've seen - isn't compliated... less of the wrong foods & more physical activity.

Canada is seeing an outright epidemic of childhood obesity:

http://www.naho.ca/blog/2012/02/27/c...emic-aglukkaq/

19% of kids are overweight with 7% being obese. Doctors are seeing high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure & yes... type 2 diabetes.

I'm sitting here overlooking a big park. It's 23 & sunny outside. There's not a child in sight. I just walked home from the store. The only kids I saw were hurrying home & many of them already had electronic gadgets in hand.

Lifestyle changes will eliminate, for MOST kids, the need for medical intervention in the form of medications.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Most meals and snacks tend to revolve around concentrated carbs. Make every meal/snack start with veggies. I was reading the other day somewhere that chlorophyll literally stops our hunger (wish I could post that link, but lost it). Give it a try. Use sweet fruits like candy substitutes. If you want concentrated carbs, try limiting them to whole grain (which I think you do anyway), and only at one meal a day. Maybe try grain free days too. I honestly think grain foods are our worst enemies besides sugar products.

Calorie Counter
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Samen
unregistered

Yeah the 2 kids above are my kids, and they active and they are absolutely not over weight. 14 and 11.

At home they get their meals, home cooked from raw materials, well butter, cheese, ketchup and bred are pre maid. What they eat at schools, who knows.

The whole world is seeing obesity and no activity in kids ok i understand that will cause it, really need to get some stats on normal weight and active kids getting it and why.

Radiation from monitors, nuke plants cell phones, link stations or pesticides, additives in school food, if you a obese little girl in a pink tutu (neighbours kid) eating constantly candy and ice cream non stop i understand the poisoning effect, dono.

When i was a kid it was a soft drink maybe once a week, most often shared with my brother, candy oh yeah, hmm maybe once a week and not a mega bag, one or two candies and that was it, ice cream maybe once a month if that. Making a phone call, well maybe once a week. TV? well the set was turned on for a specified program, daily NO.

A lot has changed from our childhood, a lot, i recon taking away a kids cell phone would warrant a visit from the social services, dono.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samen View Post
A lot has changed from our childhood, a lot, i recon taking away a kids cell phone would warrant a visit from the social services, dono.

Calorie Counter
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Samen
unregistered

Probably right with the flag there
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I don't know any country where a parent taking a child's cell phone would result in child protection services being called in but yes... life has changed dramatically for children since I was a child.

Certain foods were an occasional TREAT & that only. You ate at set meal times & snack times, (as well as specific items), were monitored & controlled - no unlimited grazing as many kids seem to do today. We ate home cooked meals prepared from fresh & usually seasonal ingredients. I remember winter veggies consisting mainly of root veg - potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips, (blech!), onions. We ate a lot of canned peas & both green & yellow beans.

Fruit was generally limited in winter to apples, oranges & bananas. We got ONE smallish box of sugary cerel to share among 3 kids a week - bought aturday morning, usually gone by Tuesday morning. Other than that it was corned flakes, puffed everything, toast, eggs...

As to outside time... "kids don't belong indoors when the weather is nice." Summer days, I'd be up at the crack of a sparrow's fart, make & stuff some sandwiches into a small canvas backpack & grab some fruit & cut up veggies. I only came home during the day to use the toilet - if I had to. As long as I was home for dinner & hadn't ripped my clothing too often that week - it was all good. Activity came with the territory. We had forts to build, bikes to ride... they were horses to us but don't tell anyone, rafts to build & float on, frogs & turtles to catch... life was good.

And a lot healthier than it is now.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
My FIL was told he was pre-type 2 diabetic.

He does not weigh 100lbs.

I wonder how many kids are not overweight with it?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I had to think about this thread today when I stumbled across this article talking about the activity levels of our children. The article basically says that parents are usually the cause of increased viewing time (computer/TV) and the resulting inactivity of their children. Parents who spent more time with their children had more active kids.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0621130724.htm

Calorie Counter
Old 06-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Here is a similar article stating that it is our level of activity that encourages our children to be more active, but especially the father's activity level made a difference.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0620133041.htm

Calorie Counter

Tags
children, diabetes, mellitus, type