Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors

Outdoors Hobby or work, if you do it outside, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
wynnsol
Member Level 1

Question String trimmer advice

Since I can make my own electricity, and elec. tools don't have carbs to gum up or use things I can't make myself [like gas and oil] - I prefer electric versions of things like chainsaws and trimmers.

Problem is - most electric versions are cheap, throwaway junk! Made of plastic, as cheaply as possible, with repairability and durability way down on the list of priorities, with flashy looks and near-useless "features" to snare the consumer.

So, Do any of you have experience with brands/models of electric chainsaws and trimmers that stand out as well made, durable, made to be repaired rather than junked, with useful features and worth the investment?

Recently, the Weedeater El. trimmer I bought about 3 years ago quit working right. I took it apart and found that the rear motor housing [which secures the rear motor bearing] was plastic and had cracked - apparently allowing the bearing to go out of alignment, making it run rough and slowly and HOT!

Don't remember how much I paid for it, but a new motor will cost $37+ and S/H.

Thanks for any opinions...

Wynn
wynnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Twoolf
Stop the world; I want to throw a few people off.

Thanked 1,829 Times in 887 Posts
Last year I bought Black and Deckers line of cordless yard tools. A trimmer, hedge trimmer (pole type) and a blower. All come with the same 20V battery so you always have plenty of power for long jobs. I simply love them suckers. They are lightweight, have plenty of power and the batteries usually last longer than I do. The hedge trimmer is really useful as I don't have to bend over for short shrubs, or stretch out over the really deep ones. The blower is not as powerfull as a gas one of course, and a driveway may take three passes instead of two, but the light weight more than makes up for the extra 2 minutes. I highly recommend the set.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
dyrt
. . .

Stihl is on the verge of releasing some new li-on yard tools that bring the quality to a new level. They will be expensive but are a good indication that the industry is rapidly advancing.

I also plan to ditch the gasoline powered tools as soon as possible. Even though the electrics can't handle all my needs, I can always rent a powerful tool for those 2 times a year that I really need one.

Here is a marketing piece about the new Stihl stuff:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ain_sr#slide-1
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dyrt For This Useful Post:
wynnsol (06-10-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
dyrt
. . .

Also keep an eye on this technology:

http://coreoutdoorpower.com/
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dyrt For This Useful Post:
Twoolf (06-05-2013), wynnsol (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
wynnsol
Member Level 1

Thumbs up

Thanks Dyrt, it looks like the Stihl line is what I'm looking for! Pricey for sure, but quality counts and doesn't come cheap.
Last night I ordered replacement sprockets and a new chain for the "Remington" saw I bought last year. Spent about $80 for it, & have almost spent that much on parts since. The motor pinion drives a PLASTIC sprocket which drives the chain. Hit a nail, or even a tough piece of wood, and it knocks teeth out of the sprocket! Just cheap design.

Wynn
wynnsol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, string, trimmer