Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,871 Posts
Default Traditional Chinese Medicine

http://www.chinasmack.com/2014/pictu...-remedies.html

Drinking Urine and Other Bizarre Chinese Medical Remedies

by Joe on Monday, August 4, 2014 159 comments

From QQ:
Health Madness/Hysteria

Recently, the media reported that there are individuals in China drinking urine with the claim that it can cure disease, and that there exist nearly 10,000 loyal followers. The head of the “Chinese Urine Treatment Association” claimed that drinking urine can treat many illnesses, and can even help patients regrow lost lung tissue. Looking at the domestic healthcare trends in recent years, miracle treatments, miracle medicines, miracle health therapies, and the like have been commonplace, with various healthcare products promoted under the pretense of being traditional Chinese medicine, resulting in frequent episodes of hysteria. Photo is of 2004 August 8, where 30 middle-aged to elderly individuals gathered at a hotel in Guangzhou and, after discussing the “health benefits of drinking urine” one after another entered the restroom with a cup to fill with their own urine that they then happily drank in front of others.

A major example of healthcare hysteria can be seen in the appearance of various peculiar therapies, most of them exploiting the name and theories of traditional Chinese medicine and exaggerating claims to attract customers. Diet therapy in traditional Chinese medicine is considered a type of treatment and prevention method, but old wives’ tales and folk remedies have distorted it into “eat something to cure/supplement something.” In 2001, a hotel in Hangzhou held a live ant tasting event, inviting ant farming “experts” to taste-test in front of the guests, claiming that they are rich in protein, good for nourishment and anti-aging.

Many alternative remedies cannot guarantee their effectiveness, and can even be dangerous, as businesses rely on exaggerated claims to attract the attention of the masses. For example, many health clinics promote “fire treatment” and claim it’s traditional Chinese moxibustion. In 2005, the Ministry of Health and the State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine issued regulations regarding traditional Chinese tuina, massages, guasha, and cupping practices, but it did not include “fire treatments.”

”Bee therapy” is a folk remedy that uses the unique medicinal properties of bee stings to “fight poison with poison”. It can effectively treat rheumatism, arthritis, headaches, stomach aches, hyperlipidemia, hyperglycemia and other ailments. Yet the state has yet to approve “bee therapy” as a traditional Chinese medical treatment. Experts claim that the biggest risk is allergies, as severe allergies [to bee stings] without quick treatment can lead to death. In April of this year, a 60 year-old senior from Fujian had an allergic reaction from “bee therapy” and died. Photo is of August 2013, where a Beijing patient is receiving the “bee sting treatment.”

These so-called “unique therapies” are targeted at those who have periarthritis, arthritis, spondylosis, high blood pressure and other chronic diseases. On 2013 October 30 in Nanjing, a new healthcare concept called “Xiyu Sand Therapy” was introduced. The patients are completely immersed in hot sand until it makes them sweat. The business claimed this combines “magnetic”, “heat”, “light” and “massage” therapies into one single comprehensive treatment.

Some merely use “healthcare” purely to get eyeballs [attention], having other goals, the notion of healthcare merely a pretense. This photo is of 2008 July 13 at a hot spring in Hubei. A artist is using ink made from herbs to draw Olympic mascots on two girls. This business claimed this kind of medicinal painting therapy can improve the skin.

The recently controversial urine treatment had a strong following within the country, and even established a “Chinese Urine Treatment Association” in Hong Kong. However, experts proved that drinking urine has no benefits and can even be harmful. Although the urokinase in urine can have the effect of thinning the blood, it isn’t necessary to drink urine. The “Chinese Urine Treatment Association” was discovered to have no legal representative, and the president of the association responded that “those who have not drank urine have no right to speak”. This photo is of 2014 from June 24 in Chongqing, where two seniors with a decade’s experience in urine treatment drank fresh urine in front of reporters.

The masses’ tendency to “seek any cure when ill” not only fattened the pockets of many in the “health therapy” industry, it also gave rise to many miracle doctors. In 2010, “miracle doctor” Zhang Wuben’s popular selling book You Are What You Eat promoted “eating mung beans as a cure-all solution”. In February of 2014, Zhang Wuben was diagnosed with cerebral infarction and entered Peking University No. 3 hospital. During an interview with reporters he instead said “drinking mung bean soup does not cure cerebral infarction”, that mung bean soup does not cure everything, and that he has been drinking it without use.

2011 April 11 in Taipei, during a media event, Yixingtianxia: Stretching and Slapping as a Cure-all Solution author Xiao Hongci used a beautiful model to demonstrate the healing effectiveness of slapping [or clapping]. Since 2009, Xiao Hongci’s stretching and slapping method became popular across Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, and Guangzhou, with numerous classes, camps, and slapping sessions being held. “Stretching stools”, books and related products became top sellers, making people fortunes. Later, it was all proven to be blind nonsense/a scam.

Li Yi was known as a “divine Daoist priest”, claimed to have 30,000 disciples, including Ma Yun and Wang Fei. He claimed to have the ability to harness 220 volts of electricity, and the “medical skill” to use electrical current to stop diseases and treat cancer. In a book titled Are There Supernatural Beings in the World, there is a medical case of Li Yi using electricity to treat a paralyzed patient until he recovered sensations in his hands and feet. Li Yi’s deed was met with skepticism from the medical community, and was exposed by writer Fang Zhouzi on Weibo. Netizens found the video of Li Yi holding his breath underwater, one example of what underpinned his legend, and then proceeded to expose his lies.

China has never lacked a market for “miracle doctors”. Wang Lin, Zhang Biqing, Hu Wanlin, Ma Yuelin… after one “miracle doctor” falls, yet another appears soon later. What more, these miracle doctors love using famous people, celebrities, and politicians to promote their medical practices and influence. 2010 December 29, CCTV’s Focus Interview exposed the illegal fraudulent medical practices of Liu Fengjun, the head of Beijing Dadaotang. Published in Liu Fengjun’s book The Health Remedies China’s Dragon Culture were many photos of Liu with famous people [above: Director Zhang Yimou].

“Miracle doctors” exist often by relying on various marketing methods, branding themselves “experts”, publishing books, going on TV, using celebrities and wealthy people or even “fake patients” as props. Under the “bombardment” and “authoritativeness” of marketing information, truth and reason are neglected/ignored. Photo is of 2010 May 30, where all kinds of “health” books were on display at a Beijing Xinhua Bookstore.

In 2013, CCTV exposed Grandma Gao’s blood sugar lowering patch and Nanyang Miaoyitang Pharmaceutical Company, which peddled “miracle medicines” to consumers through false advertising. In their advertising, a person claiming to be the 8th generation descendant from the Murong clan and a “miracle doctor” was actually played by an actor. Photo is a screenshot of Miaoyitang’s false advertising.

The reason why various silly health therapies are commonplace, why one falls only for another to become popular with the masses, is ultimately because the problem of it being difficult and expensive to get medical care in China has not been resolved. Therefore, the ordinary common people can only seek alternative methods to improve their health. Photo is of 2005 July in Huaibei, Anhui Province, where hundreds of seniors endured the summer heat and waited in line overnight to get free medical treatment.

Many people believe in superstitions, and are unknowingly exploited by “false therapies”. With the current healthcare system, many people want to find a easy cures and shortcuts, putting their hopes in certain simple, easy, and inexpensive methods to miraculously and quickly cure their problems, falling for specious statements. The moment someone takes the lead to “try” something, others will follow suit. Photo is of 2012 October 5 in Wenling City of Zhejiang, where hundreds of men and women from Taizhou scrambled over each other to get some of the all-curing “miracle water”. Tests later showed there was nothing special about the “miracle water”.

The ineffective or even lack of government oversight, as well as absences of laws, are also one of the main reasons for the growing healthcare hysteria in the country. The country does not have a clear definition and classification for traditional Chinese medicine and medical therapy. There are no professional qualifications, standards, or oversight system for traditional Chinese medical establishments and relevant training organizations, leading to many fake traditional Chinese doctors and fake health remedies. For example, after Zhang Wuben was discredited, his Wubentang clinic was demolished, but the reason cited was that his pseudo-imperial architecture did not match the local sport stadium’s architecture and was thus deemed an illegal structure. Photo is of 2010 June 1 in Beijing, as workers dismantled the Wubentang clinic located at the Olympic Village.

2005 December 15, a group of traveling salesmen arrived at a remote village in Shaoyang Village in Hunan Province, boasting a cure-all oral supplement. This elderly woman spent 160 yuan to buy the medicine mixture, completely unaware that the whole package cost only 10 yuan. For ordinary people, the correct path towards bodily health must come from scientific understanding, rational execution, conformance to physical and mental needs, and observation of the body’s responses/reactions.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
lilly

Andrew Weil recommends Chinese bone shaking 5 minutes a day.

Stand with arms and hand loose at sides and start shaking loosely up and down.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Andrew Weil went full on quack some years ago.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
lilly

Hmm. Maybe for profit and fame...

But I do follow a number of tibetan and chinese modalities for various health issues.

I found urinetherapy to be effective for seasonal allergies in the east. Only for allergies in the season.

While they say it is worthless, I wear flourite, and jade sometimes. Maybe it is psychological but I do whatever works for me. I don't care if it is woo woo.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
lilly

Everything boils down to life force, or the concept of Qi. Yin and yang and a balance in mind and body.

That is what I look for in any modality I choose to follow.

If it works I keep it. If it doesn't I discard.

All we are is embodied energy.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,529 Posts
A friend was raised by his DGM and she used things she learned as a child in the old south. It was either her parents or her grand parents that were slaves. She believed that whipping a baby with a diaper with urine in it was good for the face. All I know is that he had the nicest skin I've seen. His DGM did too, her mother must have used the pee soaked diaper on her.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
When Mom was diagnosed with RA, she met a man that had it, and used bee stings to control it. Seemed to work for him at that time.

I could go for the sand treatment. I recall doing so as a kid, and how great it felt. I never did up to my neck, though.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
lilly

They had sand rooms for therapies in the East, but I don't recall what it was they treated. We had every therapy known to man available. Here they are just as hip. If not hipper.

Hot sand feels good, but warm anything helps. I'm currently inserting a long band of fabric covered foam in my underwear for my back, and it is just enough warmth to keep my back pain free. About an eight of an inch thick. In cold weather I like a warm quilted vest for my back.

The chinese also use jade rooms.

I respect oriental modalities.

I also found jin shin jystsu to be effective. Japanese origan.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
LizB
Member Level 4

This free online course includes mention of burying in sand as a healing treatment. Mexican traditional healing, not Chinese. https://www.coursera.org/course/traditionalmedicine
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, medicine, traditional