Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default My front door is having issues

All of a sudden a few hours ago I noticed if I went out and came back in, and pulled the door to, that it wasn't latching. Can't lock it with either the doorknob lock or the deadbolt. It's like it went out of plumb all of a sudden. Can't get hold of the landlord.

Any ideas why this might have happened or what to do? Thanks
drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
MDINMT
Member Level 4

Moisture made the door and/or jamb swell? Been having alot of rain lately?
MDINMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Quake shift? Worn hinges?
drummagick (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDINMT View Post
Moisture made the door and/or jamb swell? Been having alot of rain lately?

This was my first thought, we have some storms coming in.

I found it, the bottom screw in the latch in the door has stripped and had worked out a little. I screw it back in, it comes right back out. Took it out completely so I can at least lock the door tomorrow morning with the deadbolt. Landlord is coming over tomorrow afternoon.

My son's bedroom door, the one I'm in now, swelled up with moisture last year and wouldn't shut completely for about a month. Neighbor says two of his doors do it regularly. Pressed wood doors.
drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drummagick For This Useful Post:
MDINMT (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Dreamweaver
Senior Level 3

If the door needs to go up to latch loosen the screws on the bottom hinge on the jamb. Insert something about 1/8 in. thick (folded stiff matchbook paper or equivalent or thin metal strip) between the jamb and the hinge on the outside of the screws (butted against the screws and facing in). On the top hinge do the same thing only insert filler between the inside screws and the door stop (under the hinge and against the jamb). This will raise the knob side of the door more than 1/8 inch. If the door needs to go down to latch you do the opposite. Insert filler on top hinge between the jamb and hinge and on bottom hinge insert filler between screws and door stop on jamb hinge. Now, if this makes any sense and you can follow these instructions written by someone who has just had two margaritas, you are amazing. I should point out that if the latch and striker is more than 1/4 inch off, this will not work, and the striker plate and mortise will have to be moved.
drummagick (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Twoolf
Stop the world; I want to throw a few people off.

Thanked 1,915 Times in 906 Posts
About that stripped screw: Remove the screw, and shove a couple flat toothpicks in the hole, cut flush with the surface. Take the toothpicks out and coat them with elmers glue. Put them back in the hole, and put the screw back in. It will be HARD to turn the screw. Good. Just be careful not to strip the screw head. That screw will never fall out again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twoolf For This Useful Post:
drummagick (08-12-2014), linttrap (08-12-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
About that stripped screw: Remove the screw, and shove a couple flat toothpicks in the hole, cut flush with the surface. Take the toothpicks out and coat them with elmers glue. Put them back in the hole, and put the screw back in. It will be HARD to turn the screw. Good. Just be careful not to strip the screw head. That screw will never fall out again.
I have also used a golf tee for the same thing
Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Someone swinging on the door and there is a hing problem. Or old hinges and there is a hing problem.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,902 Times in 2,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
If you cut the toothpicks (or matches) flush first how are you going to get them out? LOL.

Test fit all of the toothpicks getting the correct amount, slather on the glue between and around them and then jam them in the hole lightly tapping them with a hammer. Let glue dry 24 hours.

While you are at it, increase the security of the door for just a little more. You can even do it yourself and the landlord will never know.

Doors are easy to kick in. The screws for the strike plate and hinges just go into the door frame. They are short.

After you fix the worn hole thing, replace the screws with those that go into the studs around the walls.

It is easier to drive them in if you drill pilot holes the rood diameter of the screw thread. Use some kind of power drill/driver if you have it. Doing them by hand can be hard.

I like to use 3 1/2" Torx or square drive screws but they are obvious and never come in matching colors so the landlord will know. (I have seen brass colored pait which would work.

Phillip head screws come in brass and other colors and match but they are harder to drive.

While you are at it do the same thing to the hinges by replacing one screw per hinge or all of them if you feel industrious.

Don't forget the deadbolt!

When finished it is VERY unlikely someone will be able to kick the door down. This will stop the neighborhood punks, junkies and thieves.

You just move them to the next apartment or home which will be easier than yours.

They could use a 16lb sledge but if they want in that bad you have other things to worry about and they ARE going to get in.

Illustration.

The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
drummagick (08-14-2014)

Tags
door, front, issues