Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic

Flu Clinic A special wing of TBM's Health and Medicine forum set aside for discussing all issues related to influenza, pH1N1, H5N1 or seasonal. Please use the subrooms as appropriate.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,688 Times in 4,657 Posts
Default Reminder about TAGS

I think the Flu Clinic can make good use of tags. If you look between the last post and the reply button, you'll see an area for tags. If you click on the word Tag in the upper left of the box, it will take you to a new page where you can view the "tag cloud" and search for tags.

Tags and tag clouds are created by users. When you make or read a post you can add tags to it. For example, if you post about the recent outbreak of the mystery virus, now identified as Hepatitis E, in India, you can type in tags like, India, virus, mystery virus, hepatitis e, august 2008 - basically whatever you want that will identify the subject of the post.

When you do a search you now have a choice between a keyword search, that will look for words in text and topics, or tag searches. Just go to the tag page and look for the subject you want to review in the tag cloud or type in the tag word you want.

The more a tag word is used, the larger and bolder it will grow in the tag cloud. So you immediately know which words are rich with information and which address less common subjects.

I hope this will help to organize the Flu Clinic information a bit better.

Also remember there is a Blog section now, so any member or any group that wants to compile flu prep info or anything else, can have an entire section to develop as they like.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Kassy
Eurothrash

The Hong Kong thread has Hong and Kong as two different tags...that's not really useful or is it?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,688 Times in 4,657 Posts
Kassy, it really is a stupid program. It does not connect common words, names of places, etc. It sees them as separate words. Fortunately we can (and do) modify tags. If you're the author of the OP you can set tags when you post, modify them, or add more.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Kassy, it really is a stupid program. It does not connect common words, names of places, etc. It sees them as separate words. Fortunately we can (and do) modify tags. If you're the author of the OP you can set tags when you post, modify them, or add more.
OK - i hadn't yet noticed the tagging is now done automatically. I can live with stupid programs.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
rudolf
Member Level 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
In those cases simply tag it:
Hong Kong Hongkong
and then any search should have sucess, as most computer algorithms turn special characters into either space of "swallow them. Hong-Kong either becomes Hong Kong or Hongkong.
rudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,268 Times in 2,071 Posts
Given that the "s" word is not to be mentioned now, lest idiots stop buying pork, and H1N1 is the "acceptable" form, I'll be going through the flu clinic and adding it to tags.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
Given that the "s" word is not to be mentioned now, lest idiots stop buying pork, and H1N1 is the "acceptable" form, I'll be going through the flu clinic and adding it to tags.
I say let's keep the Swine Flu just add A/H1N1...i was thinking about the same thing but sort of saving it for between waves...
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,268 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassy View Post
I say let's keep the Swine Flu just add A/H1N1...i was thinking about the same thing but sort of saving it for between waves...
I wasn't taking out the "swine" or "flu" or "swine flu", just adding "h1n1". In a couple of instances I added "swine flu" tags if the thread title didn't have it, like "Vaccine Development".
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flu clinic tags, reminder, tag, tag info, tags