Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #26
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,319 Times in 995 Posts

Quote:
A service dog becomes a local hero after jumping in front of a bus to protect his blind owner.

The golden retriever named Figo and his owner, Aubrey Stone, who is visually impaired, were crossing a street in Brewster, N.Y. on Monday morning when a school bus carrying children rushed toward them.

At the scene, witnesses said the dog jumped in front of the moving vehicle.

“The dog took a bit of a blow,” Brewster Police Chief John Del Gardo told Journal News. “And he did not want to leave her side. He stood right with her. He was there to save her.”

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good...161605847.html

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
Feather (06-10-2015), NowVoyager (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #27
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,550 Posts
Who says angels need wings? Sometimes they have four paws and fur!!

Figo is a hero!!

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (06-26-2015), Feather (06-10-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #28
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,246 Times in 3,078 Posts
'That's the least we could do': Four young brothers mow lawn of elderly woman threatened with arrest for her 'high grass'
Quote:
Reynolds brothers from Riesel, Texas said they made the kind gesture after learning Gerry Suttle had warrant out for her arrest
The 75-year-old woman had been issued notice to appear in court over her grass being more than city code limit of 18 inches
She failed to appear in court and arrest warrant was issued; however Suttle said she never received original notice
The determined boys, with the help of community members, mowed her lawn in two hours
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...igh-grass.html

The Reynolds brothers from Riesel, Texas, who did not know the
owner of the land, 75-year-old Gerry Suttle, said they made the kind
gesture after learning she was facing an arrest last week (three of the
brothers pictured above with Suttle)
AndreaCA (06-26-2015), Catbird (06-22-2015), Feather (06-22-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #29
A.T. Hagan

The moment seven-year-old girl uses her gymnastic skills to squeeze through a tiny window to come to the aid of stricken OAP
Quote:
Officers were struggling to get into only open window as they were too big
Spotted Martha Salisbury and asked her parents if they could lift her inside
Once inside she was able to find a key and let officers in to give woman aid
Her mother Katie Salisbury thanked daughter's gymnastics background
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...icken-OAP.html

Martha Salisbury, seven, (left) jumped at the chance to help after police realised they couldn't
fit through the tiny window (right) and lifted her through to help them get inside and save a
stricken pensioner

It's not often that a young child gets to be the hero by doing something the police could not. Good on her!
AndreaCA (06-26-2015), Catbird (06-25-2015), Feather (06-25-2015), linttrap (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #30
A.T. Hagan

Small town heroes: From the teen who died saving his drowning brother to the delivery guy who ran into a burning home - eighteen Americans awarded prestigious heroism medal
Quote:
Recipients of Carnegie Medal are awarded financial grants for their impressive acts of bravery
Most of the awardees were strangers who just happened upon someone who needed help
Teen, 16, died while saving 13-year-old brother from drowning
Neighbors fight off vicious dogs that were attacking 8-year-old girl then help each other
Seven-months pregnant woman grabbed boogie board and rescued man from drowning
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-brother.html
Feather (07-02-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #31
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,399 Posts
For some people, this might not seem like good news. But for me, I don't see sadness here. Instead, I see the power and joy of a lifelong love.

San Diego couple dies in each other’s arms less than a day apart after 75th anniversary: ‘Wait for me, I'll be there soon’

Quote:
A San Diego couple who had been married for 75 years died less than a day apart, fulfilling a promise they made to peacefully pass in each other's arms while holding hands.

..."Their hearts beat as one from as long as I can remember," daughter Aimee Toczko-Cushman said. "He died in her arms, which is exactly what he wanted.

"She hugged him and she said, 'See this is what you wanted. You died in my arms and I love you. I love you, wait for me, I'll be there soon.'"

The lovebirds, who were both born in 1919 and got married in 1940, were determined to follow through on their dying wish to go out together.

Alexander Toczko, a 95-year-old World War II veteran, arranged for their hospice caregivers to set up a bed in their home next to his wife, 96.

... That's where the two celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary in early June.

Their anniversary was June 29 but, surrounded by their family, they celebrated it a few weeks early. Then, days later, they cherished their final moments together.

"Even the hospice nurse said it was the most incredible thing to see the two of them taking those last breaths together," Toczko-Cushman told ABC through tears.

Alexander Toczko died first on June 17. Jeanette passed less than 24 hours later, according to their obituary.

They were buried Monday at Miramar National Cemetery.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (07-10-2015), AndreaCA (07-03-2015), CanadaSue (07-03-2015), driveshesaid (07-13-2015), Feather (07-03-2015), flourbug (07-03-2015), linttrap (07-03-2015), lonfa (07-03-2015), NowVoyager (07-10-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #32
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,319 Times in 995 Posts
Default 300 people show up to 10-year-old’s water balloon fight birthday

Quote:

A Virginia boy’s dreams were made reality with the help of the internet.

Soon-to-be 10-year-old Camden Eubank wanted nothing more than a water balloon fight for his tenth birthday, but was lacking the friends to do so.

As a solution, his mom posted an open invitation to Facebook in the hopes that some strangers could help make his dream come true.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good...170836936.html

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (07-10-2015), Feather (07-07-2015), NowVoyager (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #33
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,298 Times in 5,136 Posts
Thumbs up Stanley Cup, Andrew Desjardins lift spirits at Sudbury's pediatric unit

Classy all the way - what a delightful & unexpected treat for parents of very sick little ones. And in that hockey mad city - they knew what was coming in the door. Great photos at site:

***Hockey's most hallowed hardware cradled some of the most precious little people this week in Sudbury, Ont.

It was Andrew Desjardins's turn to spend time with the Stanley Cup, after the Chicago Blackhawks took their third NHL title in the last six years. So the forward decided to take the coveted trophy to Health Science North's Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU), bringing smiles to parents of premature babies, as well as the hospital staff.

Desjardins, a Sudbury-area native, recently re-signed with Chicago for two years after he was traded to the team this past season. He had a busy week with the Cup — including starting one morning eating Lucky Charms cereal from it...***

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...unit-1.3144433
A.T. Hagan (07-10-2015), Catbird (07-10-2015), D. Gale (07-10-2015), NowVoyager (07-10-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #34
A.T. Hagan

Hero pizza shop employee helps rescue a kidnapped boy, 7, during her smoke break after she identified car from Amber Alert
Quote:
Courtney Best took a smoke break in front of Papa Murphy's Pizza in Corpus Christi on Thursday
While looking at her phone she saw an Amber Alert for a missing boy
A white Dodge Avenger pulling into the strip mall's parking lot matched the license plate and description in the Amber Alert
She jumped in her car, followed the vehicle and called the police
Channing Eloy Galbraith was arrested and is facing kidnapping charges
The boy, seven-year-old Nicholas Gomez, did not appear injured but was taken to the hospital by police as a precaution
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ber-Alert.html

Courtney Best, a 26-year-old employee at Papa Murphy's Pizza in
Corpus Cristi, Texas, helped rescue a kidnapped boy after she matched
a car in the restaurant's parking lot to an Amber Alert on her phone

An Amber Alert had been sent out saying that authorities were looking for seven-year-old
Nicholas Gomez (left) and his mother's boyfriend, Channing Eloy Galbraith (right), in his
2009 white Dodge Avenger
CanadaSue (07-13-2015), driveshesaid (07-13-2015), Feather (07-13-2015), NowVoyager (07-19-2015), Ross (07-13-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #35
A.T. Hagan

Jewish peer funds rescue of thousands of Christians threatened by ISIS: Lord Weidenfeld, 95, says project in Syria and Iraq is a way of repaying his 'debt' to British Quakers who helped him flee the Nazis
Quote:
Lord Weidenfeld was a penniless five-year-old when British Quakers and other Christians fed and clothed him, and helped him reach the UK in 1938
95-year-old has long felt the urge to repay Christians world for saving him
He has now launched a fund to rescue 2,000 Christians from ISIS militants
Terror group persecutes Christians - raping and massacring worshippers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lee-Nazis.html

Honour: Lord Weidenfeld was a penniless five-year-old when
British Quakers and other Christians fed and clothed him, and
helped him reach the UK in 1938 - just one year before the
Second World War
CanadaSue (07-16-2015), Feather (07-16-2015), lonfa (08-22-2015), Mayerling (08-17-2015), NowVoyager (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #36
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thumbs up Nurse 'marries' 4-year-old cancer patient in hospital ceremony

The video is wonderful. Well done Mr. Hinkling! I'm not surprised - it takes a very special person to do pediatric oncology. Photos & video at link:

***A nurse helped create "the best day ever" for his smitten four-year-old leukemia patient when he married her in a whirlwind, mock ceremony earlier this week at a U.S. hospital.

Abby suffers from pre-B cell acute lymphobastic leukemia. She met nurse Matt Hickling at the Albany Medical Center's Melodies Center for Childhood Cancer in Albany, N.Y.

"They have always had a great connection since the beginning of her [diagnosis]," reads a post from her Facebook page, Amazing Abby. The page shows multiple photos of Abby's nurses, including Hickling, taking great care of her.

A few days before the ceremony, Abby kept saying she was going to get married that week. When her mother pressed Abby to answer who she would be marrying, Abby said Hickling.

Her mother texted Hickling to give him a heads up about Abby's romantic plans.

"This took me by surprise," Hickling wrote on his Facebook page.

That's when Hickling sprang into action. In less than a day, he and the staff at the hospital planned and executed the four-year-old bride's dream wedding.

The little bride wore a shiny white dress and headband to the nuptials on Thursday. She carried a bouquet of pink and red flowers donated by a local florist.

She approached Hickling, who donned a tuxedo T-shirt for the occasion, and shyly asked him if he would marry her. When he said yes, she embraced him in a giant hug.

The pair exchanged candy rings, and Hickling pushed Abby in a special "Just married" pink car before the duo headed back to the ceremony room to cut the cake.

"This day will hopefully be one our patient and her family can always look back on and smile when days are tough," wrote Hickling. "I know I will."

As for the little bride, she seemed pleased with her first wedding.

Both Hickling and Abby's Facebook pages say she called it "the best day ever."

"We are both in awe from today's visit and smiling ear to ear," wrote her mother.***

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/nurs...mony-1.3159249
A.T. Hagan (07-21-2015), Feather (07-20-2015), lonfa (08-22-2015), Mousehound (07-23-2015), NowVoyager (07-19-2015), Volunteer (08-20-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #37
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Barrie mother grateful after strangers stop her car from being towed from hospital

***A Barrie, Ont. mother says she's overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers who saved her car from being towed while she waited in hospital for almost nine hours with her sick baby son.

Kaylee Goemans thought she would only be at Royal Victoria Hospital for several hours on July 13, but as three hours ticked by before a doctor came, she grew concerned her car would be removed.

Goemans, who had only paid for four hours of parking, sent a message to a Facebook group for local mothers asking them if they knew whether her car would get ticketed or towed.

Her message garnered more than 100 comments from women who offered to stop by the parking meter to top it up.

"I'm not far. I can go put change in it for you in about an hour on my way back home if you are still there," Elisha LeeAnn wrote.

"I live not too far from the hospital. Will head over now and top up the meter for you!" Rachel Banks added...***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ital-1.3164036
A.T. Hagan (07-23-2015), Catbird (07-23-2015), Feather (07-23-2015), flourbug (07-23-2015), lonfa (08-22-2015), Mousehound (07-23-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #38
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,978 Times in 2,224 Posts
Students in New Zealand perform Haka for deceased 30 year teacher. Moving.

Quote:
The entire school performing the Haka during the arrival of Mr. Tamatea in the hearse. This was a very emotional and powerful performance. We are extremely proud of our boys' performance and we know that Mr Tamatea would be too.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (07-31-2015), CanadaSue (07-29-2015), Catbird (07-29-2015), Feather (07-29-2015), NowVoyager (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #39
A.T. Hagan

Diner proposing to his girlfriend in North Carolina restaurant is interrupted by robber so he knocks him out and then pops the question - of course she said YES
Quote:
Nicholas Anderson was planning on proposing to girlfriend Deanna Deal
Along with her son Brighton they had gone to Salsarita's in Hickory, NC
But a robber burst into Mexican restaurant as Nick was about to propose
Nick thwarted the theft by grabbing Graham Wilson Kiziah in a chokehold
Kiziah is accused of robbing the restaurant on two previous occasions
Trio then went to a park where Nick finally popped question – and got a yes
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-question.html

Way to go: Nicholas Anderson (left) with fiancee Deanna Deal (right)
and her son Brighton. Deanna is sporting the ring Nick was only able to
offer her after putting a robber out cold when he first tried to propose
AndreaCA (08-07-2015), Feather (07-31-2015), Mousehound (08-01-2015), NowVoyager (07-31-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #40
A.T. Hagan

Lancaster teen Temar Boggs hailed as a hero in 5-year-old's abduction

http://lancasteronline.com/news/lanc...30161c900.html

Temar Boggs sits Saturday evening at Lancaster Arms.
(Blaine T. Shahan / Staff')

The photo is from the Huffington Post. I wanted one that had both of their pictures.

This is what community is about.
Catbird (08-03-2015), Exodia (08-03-2015), Feather (08-03-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #41
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Turkish newlyweds donate wedding money to Syrian refugees

***By: Abby Phillip The Washington Post, Published on Wed Aug 05 2015

The Turkish border town of Kilis is home to tens of thousands of refugees who are fleeing war-torn Syria.

Last Thursday, it also became the setting for an act of kindness that’s gone viral.

Fethullah Uzumcuoglu and Esra Polat, just married, decided that instead of spending their families’ savings on a banquet for their wedding guests, they would instead donate the money to feed 4,000 refugees in Kilis.

The Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu tweeted two photos of the couple on Monday, and the images quickly spread on Instagram and on Facebook.

A spokeswoman for KYM said the idea came from the groom’s father, Ali Uzumcuoglu, who is an active volunteer with the organization.

Uzumcuoglu thought that hosting a banquet for family and friends was “unnecessary” when people living “next door” were in need of food. He presented the idea to his son, who agreed.

“I’m very happy that he accepted it and they started their new happy journey with such a selfless action,” the father said, according to KYM spokeswoman Hatice Avci.

The relief organization operates a mobile soup kitchen in Kilis that serves about 4,000 refugees every day. The Turkey-based organization operates in more than 110 countries and has partnered with the United Nations on projects to help Syrian refugees.

According to the United Nations, Turkey has hosted more than one million Syrian refugees since the conflict began there in 2011.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...-refugees.html
Cactus Az (08-05-2015), Feather (08-06-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #42
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Victoria police officer buys plane ticket for senior to reunite her with family

***A Victoria police officer who bought a plane ticket out of his own pocket for disoriented senior so that she could be reunited with her family is quick to deflect praise for his kindness.

The 65-year-old woman was reported missing by the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines vessel Jewel of the Sea on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. PT. She had left the ship when it was docked at 10 a.m. and did not return, and the ship left without her.

The Victoria police were called in and learned from her husband that she had been displaying dementia-like symptoms. Police searched for her and were eventually tipped off by the staff of the Fairmont Empress hotel in downtown Victoria that she was there and was disoriented.

Victoria K-9 officer Const. Andre Almeida took her to the local hospital to be assessed. That's when he decided to arrange a flight for the elderly woman from Victoria to Seattle, so that she could catch her existing flight back to New York.

After a night in the hospital, the woman was taken to the the airport by patrol officers.

'It could be my mom stranded somewhere'

But when the officers got to the airport, her credit card did not work, so Almedia stepped in.

"I called Air Alaska and just booked the flight on my credit card," he told CBC News.

Almeida said he just wanted to do the right thing and says it was a team effort to get her home. "My part was really small ... I just gave a credit card."

The woman is now safely back with her family in Buffalo, New York, and Alaska Airlines reimbursed Almeida for the cost of the flight.

Almeida hasn't spoken to the woman or her family since she landed on Friday, but he said the husband was grateful and thankful when they found her on Thursday.

"There was no other way to ensure she would make it back home," he said.

"She needed help. It could be my mom stranded somewhere and I would hope that someone would help."...***

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...mily-1.3184094
A.T. Hagan (08-08-2015), Feather (08-08-2015), NowVoyager (08-15-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #43
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Barber Gives Kids Free Haircuts If They Read Him A Book

***An Iowa barber is helping kids prepare for the upcoming school year in the best way possible.

Last Saturday, Courtney Holmes of Sparks Family Hair Salon gave out free haircuts to kids who agreed to read him a story. The father-of-two told the Telegraph Herald that he just wanted to “support kids reading,” so he set up a booth at Comiskey Park as part of the community’s second annual Back to School Bash.

“The kids would come in, and I would say, ‘Go to the table and get a book you might like, and if you can’t read it, I’ll help you understand and we can read it together,’" Holmes told USA Today. “To be honest, I was amazed. The line started with four kids, and next thing I knew it was like 20 kids, all waiting for a haircut and eager to read.”...***

More at link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08...canada-parents
AndreaCA (08-14-2015), Cactus Az (08-15-2015), Catbird (08-14-2015), Feather (08-14-2015), NowVoyager (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #44
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Malyk Bonnet, teenage hero, saves woman from kidnapping

Remarkable thinking on the fly & far more rewarding interactions with police than this young man is accustomed to!

***Laval, Que., police are calling 17-year-old Malyk Bonnet a hero after he went to extraordinary lengths to aid the escape of a woman who had been abducted by her ex-boyfriend earlier this month.

In an interview with CBC Friday, Bonnet said that, at the time, he didn't think of himself as a hero.

"Now I realize what I did and wow ... it's really awesome. I mean, I saved a life!" Bonnet said with a laugh.

On Aug. 1, Bonnet was waiting for a bus to his home in the north end of Montreal after finishing his shift as a cook at a restaurant.

He noticed a couple on the street involved in an altercation.

"The guy was screaming at her, the girl. He wasn't really gentle with her, and I started watching, because I thought he would hit her, so I approached them a little bit," Bonnet said.

He said the couple asked him for money to take the bus to Laval, and he agreed to get some change at a convenience store and give them some money. Bonnet had a moment alone with the woman, who seemed terrified, he said.

Bonnet decided he had to help, and he was already formulating a plan. Even though he lived in Montreal, he told the couple he lived in Laval and would accompany them on the bus.

"My plan was to keep them in a public place, where there's a lot of people. I decided to make myself friendly with the man, so he would trust me. So I played my game," Bonnet said...***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ping-1.3191795
Feather (08-15-2015), NowVoyager (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #45
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Default Retired

Good news for me. Retired from the US Dept of State where I had been employed as an RN ( as a local employee) at the health unit at our US embassy in Cairo Egypt. I worked there for 23 years
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mayerling For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (08-18-2015), AndreaCA (08-15-2015), Cactus Az (08-15-2015), Catbird (08-17-2015), D. Gale (08-15-2015), Feather (08-16-2015), flourbug (08-15-2015), lonfa (08-22-2015), Mousehound (08-15-2015), NowVoyager (08-15-2015), Ross (08-16-2015), spinnerholic (08-17-2015), Ter (08-16-2015), Thymeless (08-15-2015), ukmum (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #46
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Congrats & may your retirement years be rewarding & relaxing.

Do you have plans?
Mayerling (08-17-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #47
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,489 Posts
Congrats, Mayerling!
Mayerling (08-17-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #48
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Good news for me. Retired from the US Dept of State where I had been employed as an RN ( as a local employee) at the health unit at our US embassy in Cairo Egypt. I worked there for 23 years

Congratulations, Mayerling!!!!!

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Mayerling (08-17-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 03:01 AM   #49
Mayerling
Member Level 5

Thank you all! Having witnessed and stayed and lived thru 2 revolutions plus other follies at the embassy and stories about the Egyptian health care system I think I could write a book.

And I no longer need to keep my mouth shut!
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mayerling For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (08-18-2015), Feather (08-16-2015), lonfa (08-22-2015), NowVoyager (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #50
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,866 Times in 1,559 Posts
Congratulations Mayerling, I hope you enjoy your retirement

Tags
good, news, thread