Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #51
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,399 Posts
It's nice to start Monday off with some good news.

Strangers repaint 75-year-old man's house after teens' cruel comments
Quote:
Every morning, Josh Cyganik gives Leonard Bullock a smile and a wave as he walks past the 75-year-old man's house on his way to work.

For four consecutive years, the 35-year-old track inspector for the Union Pacific Railroad has nodded to the Pendleton, Oregon, resident, who sits on his porch all day long, but not once has he ever said a word to the man.

Last month, he finally broke his silence.

As Cyganik stepped out to the curb to fill a garbage can, he overheard two teenage boys walking past Bullock's house yell, "Look at this crappy house. They just need to burn it down!"

As Cyganik glanced over, he saw Bullock with his head down.

"I couldn't believe what those kids had said," Cyganik told CBS News. "It was Leonard, this elderly, old man, who never hurt anybody a day in his life -- sits there all day long."

Later that day, Cyganik went home and stewed about the boys' rude comment.

After a couple days of thinking, he decided to do something about it.

He called a friend who runs a lumber and paint store, asking him if he'd be willing to donate materials to fix up the stranger's house. His friend agreed; "anything you need," he said.

Once Cyganik knew he had enough materials, he moved on to the next item on his check list: workers.

He posted a Facebook status, explaining his call for help.

To his surprise, more than 6,000 people shared the post and dozens commented.

With a little bit of faith, Cyganik knocked on Bullock's door the next day and asked him if he would like his house repainted.

"He was just flabbergasted," Cyganik said. "He was excited and he said he would love that!"

The following Saturday, Cyganik and his five coworkers headed over to work on Bullock's house, unsure how many people would join them.

One by one, people started coming. In fact, the number exceeded Cyganik's expectations so much, he stopped counting at 95 people.

"It was amazing. That's the only word I can say," Cyganik said proudly. "I had no plan. I had no guidance. The way it all fell together -- the way it turned out."

It took nine hours to finish the job, but they did it.

Bullock can now sit proudly outside of his freshly painted house and call it "home." Even better, he can now call Cyganik not a "stranger," but a "friend."
Before and after:

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (08-18-2015), AndreaCA (08-17-2015), Cactus Az (08-17-2015), CanadaSue (08-17-2015), Feather (08-17-2015), lonfa (08-22-2015), rb. (08-17-2015), sandyd (08-17-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #52
Volunteer

Default Student adopts stray dog that saves her from attack in Crete

A British tourist who was saved by a stray dog after two men attacked her in Greece spent thousands of pounds bringing the animal back home to live with her.

Georgia Bradley, 25, was on a beach alone when she was surrounded by aggressive men who grabbed her when she rejected their

But just at that moment, the small, black dog "appeared from nowhere" and started barking at the men, scaring them off.

Miss Bradley, whose boyfriend was at a nearby café at the time, said: "I decided to go for a walk along the beach, and found two Greek men who kept harassing me to go out for a drink. I kept telling them I didn't want to.

"Then one of them grabbed me on the arm and I didn't know what was going to happen. I was on my own and it was a very scary and difficult situation."

She said the dog must have noticed something was wrong and had "saved her."

After the incident, it followed Miss Bradley back to her apartment and she said they had an instant bond.

The Plymouth University student believed the dog, whom she called Pepper, had been abandoned as she had seen it wandering around the town alone.

"Pretty much every evening we saw her around outside the bars and restaurants, trying to get the attention of the tourists," she said.

"Every time we got close to her she wouldn't let you stroke her. She was very gentle, but was too scared to let you close."

She tried to persuade a local animal shelter to take her in but was unsuccessful and eventually had to return home to Calstock, Cornwall.

Miss Bradley added: "When we left to go to the airport, we looked back and Pepper was running after the car. It was heartbreaking.

"When I got home I couldn't stop thinking about her so I took the soonest flight back out that I could, which was two weeks later."

Desperate to be reunited with the mutt she began an epic five week mission to find the stray – that involved two further trips to the island. The student was amazed to find the stray on the same beach, in the small town of Georgioupoli, Crete.

The dog was confirmed as a stray and Miss Bradley had Pepper microchipped, wormed with a rabies jab and given a pet passport. It had to spend 21 days in quarantine in boarding kennels but was eventually allowed to travel to Britain.

When Miss Bradley returned to Crete for a third time to collect Pepper, the kennel owner told her that her new pet was pregnant.

A week after arriving back in the UK, Pepper, who is believed to be a Terrier Poodle Cross, gave birth to six puppies.

Miss Bradley said: "It has been such a crazy journey. But I am over the moon. Pepper has settled in brilliantly."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-in-Crete.html
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Volunteer For This Useful Post:
Catbird (08-20-2015), Feather (08-20-2015), MTLass (10-09-2015), NowVoyager (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #53
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,550 Posts
One more example that one person can change the world for the better, for another in need. Pepper is a beautiful dog.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Feather (08-20-2015), Volunteer (08-20-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #54
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 7,247 Times in 3,078 Posts
Hero 10-year-old girl badly bitten by a shark wades back into the ocean to save her 6-year-old friend
Quote:
Kaley Szarmack was swimming in three to four feet of water on a Jacksonville, Florida Beach when she was bitten by a shark on Wednesday
The 10-year-old girl was able to walk out of the water, but decided to wade back in when she saw a 6-year-old friend still swimming
The brave girl was then taken to the hospital where doctors sewed up her leg wound with 90 stitches
Kaley's father, a local firefighter, says his daughter is expected to make a full recovery
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...end-water.html

Trooper: Kaley Szarmack, 10, survived a shark attack at a Florida
beach Wednesday afternoon
Catbird (08-21-2015), Exodia (08-28-2015), Feather (08-21-2015), flourbug (08-21-2015), NowVoyager (08-21-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #55
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,978 Times in 2,224 Posts
Quote:
Boy, 13, Keeps Father Alive After He's Badly Hurt by Falling Boulder

David Finlayson has his 13-year-old son to thank as he recovers at home today after being struck by a refrigerator-size boulder during a camping trip.

Finlayson, 52, and his son Charlie were backpacking and climbing near Ship Island Lake in a part of Idaho known as "River of No Return Wilderness" on Aug. 17 when the boulder broke loose.

The boulder hit Finlayson as he jumped to avoid it, sending him careening 30 feet down a mountain. He was briefly knocked unconscious and suffered a broken back, left arm, left heel, and a gash on his left leg that exposed his bone.

"If the boulder had landed on me, I'd be dead for sure," Finlayson, of Salt Lake City, Utah, told ABC News.

With the nearest ranger 13 miles away and no one else around to help, Charlie Finlayson took it upon himself to save his father, whom he said had given him a simple motto: Stay calm.

"He did a good job," Finlayson, a lawyer, said. "He's been climbing and backpacking with me for years ... He had a lot of training."

For a little more than two days, the eighth-grade Boy Scout kept his dad calm and hydrated. He cleaned and dressed Finlayson's wounds and brought food, water and sleeping bags to his father to keep him warm. At times, he walked around the lake, desperately looking for help.

"He was my savior," Finlayson told the Idaho Statesman. "He kept talking to me all night."

Two days after falling, his father sent him on a 13-mile hiking mission to find help. Charlie Finlayson carried a note, explaining what had happened and how to find his father.

Charlie Finlayson said leaving his father and setting off on the journey alone was the hardest part.

"I was scared I wasn't going to find somebody," he said. "I prayed a lot."

Charlie Finlayson said he hiked three miles and found a few men who read his note and then went to help his father, who was eventually airlifted to a hospital. A sheriff's deputy connected his son with a relative who took him home.
https://gma.yahoo.com/boy-13-keeps-f...opstories.html

"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (08-28-2015), Catbird (08-28-2015), Feather (08-28-2015), Ter (08-29-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #56
A.T. Hagan

'I’m happy knowing I saved her life': Schoolboy, 13, is hailed a hero after rescuing a drowning girl... then uses his reward money to buy HER a present
Quote:
Jack Haines, 13, was on holiday with his family in Somerset
He witnessed Rosie Appleby, seven, crash her bike into a river
Rosie got trapped underwater by the bike but was rescued unscathed
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...y-present.html

Jack Haines (left) pulled seven-year-old Rosie Appleby (right) from
a Somerset river after she plunged into the water on her bicycle
Catbird (08-28-2015), Feather (08-28-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #57
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,299 Times in 5,136 Posts
Default Group Of 100 Black Male Professionals Greet Students On First Day, Help Bust Stereotypes

Good! Most blacks, negroes, people of color - whatever the euphemism of the day are ordinary folks going about ordinary lives... making their way in the world honourably, raising families, working hard & participating in their communities. We all do well to remember that:

***Students going back to school had some awesome cheerleaders to usher them into the new year.

A group of 100 black men gathered outside Martin Luther King Elementary School in Hartford, Connecticut, last week, forming a line to greet kids on their first day of school, A Plus reported. The welcome was organized by Pastor AJ Johnson and attorney DeVaughn Ward and was aimed at not only getting the students pumped for school, but also changing the public's perception of black men...***

More at link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...38772744581761
A.T. Hagan (09-08-2015), Feather (09-07-2015), NowVoyager (09-06-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #58
A.T. Hagan

'I felt something hit my arm': Heroic girl, 14, takes TWO bullets in shielding her baby nephew from gunfire in drive-by shooting
Quote:
De Je Brewer was shot in her right arm and back while sitting in her family's SUV in South LA Wednesday
The 14-year-old from Twentynine Palms shielded her 10-month-old nephew from the bullets; boy escaped unharmed
De Je and her family were in town for a relative's funeral
De Je's aunt believes the drive-by shooting was a random act of violence
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-shooting.html

Teen hero: De Je Brewer was shot in her right arm (left) and in her back (right) while
sitting in the back of her family's SUV on a street in South LA
Feather (09-18-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 03:51 AM   #59
Samen
unregistered

Estonian students amplify forest ambiance with megaphone-like library spaces

More images and story at:
http://www.designboom.com/design/est...re-09-22-2015/
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samen For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-25-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #60
A.T. Hagan

Cream of the crop! Tight-knit farming community comes together to help grandfather with terminal cancer harvest 450 acres of corn in ONE DAY

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-ONE-DAY.html

Field of dreams: A photo taken by a drone shows 10 combines
harvesting corn last month on a field in Galva, Illinois, owned by
temrinally ill farmer Carl Bates
CanadaSue (10-09-2015), Catbird (10-09-2015), Feather (10-09-2015), linttrap (10-09-2015), lonfa (10-09-2015), NowVoyager (10-21-2015), Sonny (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #61
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

A very similar thing took place here last year. A local farmer was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor just a couple of weeks before harvest time. A notice was put up on the community bulletin board at the Co-op and a week later, a bunch of other local farmers harvested the man's entire crop of soybeans in just a few hours.

It's helpful to be reminded that there are good,decent people in our local communities, and in places all over the world.

Alan, thanks again for starting this thread. There are some days when I'm finding it to be a great comfort.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (10-09-2015), Feather (10-09-2015), linttrap (10-09-2015), NowVoyager (10-21-2015), Sonny (10-09-2015), Wallflower (10-10-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #62
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Default Cat used by S.F. cops to coax suicidal man off building ledge

As the standoff between San Francisco police and a suspected car thief threatening to jump from a South of Market building crept into its third hour Wednesday evening, officers turned to an unlikely source to help them talk the man down: his cat.

The man, barefoot and wearing only black shorts, was distraught and hanging out of a third-floor window of a building at 10th and Harrison streets, threatening to leap. Officers set up foam pads below him as the department’s trained hostage negotiators perched precariously on a fire escape, urging the suicidal man figuratively and literally off the ledge.

But after three unsuccessful hours, reinforcements arrived — in the form of the man’s orange-and-white feline.

Using his pet, hostage negotiators were able to persuade him to go back inside the building, come down the stairs and surrender without incident.
Within 45 minutes of the cat’s arrival, the 3½-hour standoff was over.

“Using the cat was ingenious,” said Officer Albie Esparza, a police spokesman. “Never underestimate the power of the love between people and their pets. I think it was great to think outside the box like the officers did. It made enough of an impact on this person to bring him down and come to his senses.”

The man had run into the building about 2:30 p.m., after he had been stopped while driving a white Toyota Highlander that had no license plates.
While California Highway Patrol officers questioned him, he sat on a sidewalk. When a computer check showed that the car was stolen, the man jumped to his feet and ducked into the building, CHP officials said.

San Francisco police responded to the scene once the situation devolved from a traffic stop to a possible suicide attempt. Officers from the hostage negotiation team, the tactical unit, the motorcycle unit, the traffic division as well as Southern Station arrived to aid in the standoff, Esparza said.

A common strategy in these situations is to call the family of the person in crisis, in hopes a loved one can talk them down, Esparza said. The man’s family was on its way from the East Bay as negotiators gently spoke to him from the fire escape.

When police learned the man’s relatives brought his cat to the scene, officers took it up to the negotiators. Shortly after 6 p.m., the man went back inside the building and the standoff was resolved.

“I don’t remember ever using a cat before, but it worked,” Esparza said. “The guy voluntarily came out of the window and opened the door and was taken into custody without incident.”

Esparza said he never got the cat’s name, but he applauded the officers for their quick thinking, as well as their sensitivity. Even as the man was handcuffed and taken to a police car, officers brought the cat to him so he could see his beloved feline before going to jail.

“The hostage negotiators establish a trust with the person, regardless if they are suicidal or a suspect, and you want to maintain that trust as much as you can,” Esparza said. “The guy wasn’t resisting. There was no need not to help him out. Obviously, he had a very emotional attachment to the cat and it was nice to comfort him as much as possible.”

http://www.ctpost.com/crime/article/...ff-6559376.php
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D. Gale For This Useful Post:
CanadaSue (10-13-2015), Catbird (10-13-2015), Feather (10-13-2015), linttrap (10-21-2015), NowVoyager (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #63
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Passengers applaud, shoot videos as baby girl born on jet

***LOS ANGELES—It was a honeymoon that Dr. Angelica Zen likely won’t ever forget, and not just because of the romantic Bali vacation.

On her way home to Los Angeles last week, the UCLA physician made her first unassisted delivery of a newborn baby when a passenger suddenly went into labour over the Pacific Ocean.

The China Air flight, which had departed from Taiwan, was diverted to Alaska. Mother and newborn daughter left for a hospital, and the flight continued on to Los Angeles.

“When the baby came out healthy, I was just very relieved,” Zen, back at work at UCLA on Thursday, said laughing...***

More at link:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...rn-on-jet.html
Feather (10-16-2015), linttrap (10-16-2015), NowVoyager (10-16-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #64
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Christmas in October for terminally ill boy celebrated by Ontario town

Yeah, it's okay to cry when you read this. THIS is love & care...

***In St. George, Ont., the lights are up, the main street is full of decorations, carolers are even making their way door-to-door. It looks like Christmas, even though it's October.

But this isn't a case of the local stores getting a jump on holiday shopping. The town, 35 kilometres west of Hamilton, has turned the clock forward for Evan Leversage, a seven-year-old boy who has been battling brain cancer for five years.

His family recently learned that Evan's tumour has grown and spread, prompting doctors to suggest the family celebrate Christmas early this year.

His mother, Nicole Wellwood, asked her family if they wouldn't mind celebrating Christmas in October.

Her cousins took that request to the next level, handing out flyers, starting a Facebook page and fundraising to make the most of Christmas in October.

So people in St. George brought their lights out early and got to work. Before long, the entire town heard Evan's story and began decorating for the holiday.

Hundreds of houses in St. George are fully decked out with Christmas decor and a huge parade is planned to go right past Evan's house on Saturday.

"You look out our front window, the entire street is lit up," said Wellwood. "Everywhere you look it's Christmas. It's more than I could have imagined...***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...arly-1.3280502
Cactus Az (10-21-2015), Catbird (10-21-2015), D. Gale (10-23-2015), Feather (10-21-2015), NowVoyager (10-21-2015), Ter (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #65
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default McMaster University student's viral act of kindness rewarded

I caught an interview with this young man over the supper hour. The article didn't go far enough. He missed his stop to make sure the man he was helping had someone with him until he had to get off. Not once did he indicate anything other than the man he was helping had special needs. The photo at the URL is heartstoppingly beautiful:

***An act of compassion on a Hamilton bus that went viral on social media is being rewarded.

Hamilton's Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 107, which represents the city's bus drivers and transit employees, will be presenting two cheques on Wednesday to McMaster student Godfrey Coutto who was photographed comforting a man with special needs on a bus.

Robert, a deaf, middle-aged man with cerebral palsy, approached Coutto on the 10 B-Line Express bus, shook the Mac student's hand and didn't let go. Robert's family says he prefers to communicate through touch, a press release said. Coutto held Robert's hand and put his arms around him for the duration of the 30-minute bus ride.

"Sometimes you just have to be selfless and put someone else's needs above yours," Coutto told the Huffington Post.

A passenger across from Robert and Coutto captured the moment and posted it onto Facebook, where it quickly amassed 60,000 likes and 14,000 shares...***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...rded-1.3280328
Feather (10-22-2015), linttrap (10-21-2015), NowVoyager (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #66
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,550 Posts
Compassion.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Catbird (10-22-2015), Feather (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #67
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I look at the two faces & see this:

"I will look out for you, here & now, as long as you need me."

"I have complete faith in you."
Feather (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #68
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Cambridge, Ont. teen boy thanked for helping girl, 6, learn to skateboard

***A Cambridge, Ont. mom is hoping to thank an anonymous teenage boy for helping break down gender barriers for her six-year-old daughter.

Jeanean Thomas says her only child, Peyton, had always wanted to take up skateboarding but had been intimidated from doing so by the lack of girls she saw on the streets.

Thomas says a trip to a local skateboard park seemed to reinforce this fear until the unidentified teen stepped in.

Thomas says the boy, who she estimates to be about 15, took the time to come over to her daughter, correct her stance on the board and generally offer helpful tips.

She says he continued to offer advice for about an hour while still interacting with his friends, some of whom indulged in some light heckling as he coached Peyton...***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitche...oard-1.3282817
Feather (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #69
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

It's good to be reminded that there are some decent kids out there. Gives me hope for the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Feather (10-22-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #70
A.T. Hagan

Well, this isn't exactly good news, but it is an excellent example of love and self-sacrifice.

Boy, 11, dies saving his little sister by pushing her out of the way of oncoming car before he was killed by 'hit-and-run' driver
Quote:
La'Dorious Wylie, 11, was waiting for the school bus with his sister Shavonte, seven, when a car veered towards them
He instinctively pushed his sister out of the way but he was hit by the car
Brave big brother suffered severe head injuries and died the next day
Driver Michelle Johnson did not stop and was arrested two days later
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...un-driver.html

La'Dorious Wylie, 11, died saving his sister's
life, pushing her out of the way of an oncoming
car before he was killed by a alleged hit-and-run
driver
Feather (11-05-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #71
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Christmas decor banned until after Remembrance Day at Manitoba store

***Store shelves are already brimming with wreaths, festive lights and fake fir trees, but one Manitoba shop is banning all things Christmas until after Remembrance Day.

"We want to respect our veterans," Ginette Maynard, manager of Bigway Foods said.

As soon as Halloween is over, the grocery store in the village of St-Pierre-Jolys fast forwards to Christmas but this year, staff are keeping several shelves empty, except for signs that read "Lest We Forget."

"I think it's very important. I mean some of [these veterans] gave their lives for us, they went to war for our country and for ourselves, you know," Maynard said.

The idea came from one of the staff members whose grandfather was a Second World War veteran. She said while Christmas is important, gearing up so early takes away from an important day.

So far, the community response has been fantastic, Maynard said.

"People [have] started bringing in their stories," she said. "They have pictures of ... their uncles and their grandparents and their parents themselves you know, and they have stories behind it and it's pretty interesting."

Maynard said veterans' photos are being shared on the empty shelves.

"Hopefully we'll have more stories. We just started this last night," Maynard said...***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tore-1.3303447

I think the reaction by customers is fantastic & the store responding by displaying the photos? Awesome.
A.T. Hagan (11-05-2015), Catbird (11-05-2015), Feather (11-05-2015), flourbug (11-04-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #72
A.T. Hagan

I would really, really like to see more stores pledge not to put up Christmas displays until the day AFTER Thanksgiving (here in the U.S.).

Part of the reason I am as anti-Christmas as I am is the ever increasing amount of Christmas advertising and displays that afflict us every year. Wal Mart no sooner clears out their "back to school" stuff than the first Christmas junk begins to show up.
Feather (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #73
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 19,443 Times in 6,201 Posts
Georgia Trooper Praised For Response To Kids' Loss Of Both Parents

After responding to the scene of a car crash on Halloween, a young Georgia state trooper and his colleagues realized the couple killed in the crash had left behind four young children — who were home alone, wearing their costumes and waiting for their parents.

Faced with a tragic situation, Trooper Nathan Bradley says he stalled for time — to find the kids' nearest relatives, and to figure out how to salvage their Halloween.

In a show of generosity that's being widely praised, Bradley, 25, took the kids out for hamburgers and invited them for a movie-night sleepover at the patrol station, after their grandmother agreed that she should be present the next morning to break the news about their parents to the children, ages 6-13.

The accident occurred in Morgan County, Ga., less than a mile from where Donald and Crystal Howard had left their home to buy more face paint and candy. The pair died after their SUV left the road and hit a tree. The trooper says he decided to act after realizing that with the kids' nearest relatives living in south Florida, their grandmother wouldn't be able to reach them until Sunday.

"I immediately fell ill," he wrote on a GoFundMe page he started for the family. "Not only would these children discover they lost both parents, but would spend their Halloween in a county jail until somebody could tend to them; it just wasn't right."

The rest of the story here:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...f-both-parents

The truth shall set you free but not til it is finished with you.
David Foster Wallace
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to linttrap For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (11-05-2015), Catbird (11-05-2015), D. Gale (11-05-2015), Feather (11-05-2015), rb. (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #74
A.T. Hagan

That has got to be about the crappiest part of their job.
Feather (11-05-2015), linttrap (11-05-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:22 AM   #75
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

After the last few days, it's nice to be reminded that when it comes down to it, people are still capable of simple decency and goodness.

'The unclaimed veteran': More than 1,000 attend funeral for Marine Corps vet with no known family

Quote:
More than 1,000 people gathered in a church outside Indianapolis Tuesday to honor the life of a veteran with no known living family members...

Former Marine Cpl. Billy Aldridge, 80, had been living for over 10 years at an Indianapolis nursing home before he died last month. Aldridge enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1956, served as a supply man for almost four years, and spent two of those years in Okinawa, Japan.

When Aldridge passed away, the nursing home turned his body over to Legacy Cremation and Funeral Service, whose staff decided to plan a proper—and public— sendoff for a brave veteran.

Aldridge was memorialized with a standing-room only service at the Lawrence United Methodist Church in Lawrence, Ind. Hundreds lined the walls of the facility and its vestibule after all the seats were filled.

Paul Adams, a member of the Greenfield Veterans Honor Guard, a group of former servicemen who attend over 50 veteran funerals annually, told the paper that despite the fact they do not personally know each veteran they memorialize, each funeral is very emotional for all of them.

Funeral service organizers called Aldridge “the unclaimed veteran” in their public invitation.

Reviewing Aldridge’s enlistment paperwork in the hopes of learning more about him, Brig. Gen. Stewart Goodwin learned that after the former Marine was honorably discharged, he moved to Indiana to care for his mother.

After his mother died in 1997, he lived alone until moving into the nursing home in 2004.

At the service, the Rev. Ron May said no matter how little was known about the man they were honoring, “In [enlisting], he said 'I will not live for myself alone. I will live, I will serve for others'.”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Feather (11-19-2015), NowVoyager (11-20-2015)

Tags
good, news, thread