Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,921 Posts
Default Powdered exam gloves banned

http://www.livescience.com/57241-pow...s-ban-fda.html

'Very Dangerous' Powdered Gloves Banned for Doctors

At your next doctor's exam, one thing will be certain: Your physician won't be using powdered medical gloves.

That's because the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) just issued a ban on powdered medical gloves, calling them dangerous. The ruling marks only the second time in history that the FDA has banned a medical device.

The agency first proposed the ban back in March, and issued a final ruling today (Dec. 16). The ban will take effect on Jan. 19, 2017.

"While medical gloves play a significant role in protecting patients, health care providers and other individuals in close proximity, powdered gloves are very dangerous for a variety of reasons," the FDA said in a statement. [9 Disgusting Things That the FDA Allows in Your Food]

The powder is sometimes added to gloves to make them easier to take on and off, the agency said. But if the powder on latex gloves becomes airborne, it can cause allergic reactions. What's more, use of the gloves on patients has been associated with wound inflammation, as well as a condition in which bands of scar tissue form between people's organs after surgery, the FDA said.

Today's state-of-the-art medical gloves include nonpowdered alternatives that provide all the benefits of powdered gloves, without the same risks, the agency said.

When issuing the prosed ban in March, the agency said it had determined that a ban on powdered gloves would not cause a glove shortage. Only a small percentage of medical gloves used today have powder, according to The New York Times.

The FDA determined that simply adding a warning label to powdered gloves was not enough to address the risk, the agency said.

The only other time the agency has banned a medical device was in 1983, when it banned prosthetic hair fibers.

Original article on Live Science.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (12-18-2016), linttrap (12-17-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #2
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

I haven't seen powdered gloves around Australia for quite a few years. Might still be used in surgical areas for all I know, but in hospital emergency rooms, and doctors offices I mostly see blue nitrile or other non-latex gloves.

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pave_spectre For This Useful Post:
Feather (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 03:24 AM   #3
doc_jake
Member Level 4

Location: Northumberland, the last county in england before you hit scotland on the east coast.
Pretty much the same were I work, all we use is nitrile too.
doc_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,854 Times in 1,553 Posts
That's all I've seen at the dr's and other places in the hospital. I've been all over ours lately.

Tags
banned, exam, gloves, powdered